KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » 2000-2009 - Worst Music Decade Ever

2000-2009 - Worst Music Decade Ever
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Garbage, The Adolescents, TSOL, Sonic Youth, Frances McKee, and Jello Biafra have released some of the best, original music of their careers in the last decade.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jun 14th, 2010 04:26 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Garbage, The Adolescents, TSOL, Sonic Youth, Frances McKee, and Jello Biafra have released some of the best, original music of their careers in the last decade.

Again, missed the point

Old Post Jun 19th, 2010 03:59 AM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

So, then, what is your point?

There has been amazing music this decade. Accept that, and accept that there was a lot of shit in the 90s and 80s.

quote:
a lot of the bands you added to your list of great 90's band haven't actually known any 'mainstream' succes such as Tool, or Soundgarden and Alice in Chains except for one hit single.

Bullshit.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jun 19th, 2010 04:37 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

I don't think he has a point... to everyone who's posted opposing thoughts here his response is some variation of how so and so didn't get the point.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jun 19th, 2010 07:52 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Nonsense.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2010 06:27 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Again, missed the point
no u

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Jun 20th, 2010 12:19 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

It's nothing more than this generations dislike of the advance of music.
Our great-grandparents disliked Elvis for the gospel music; my parents dislike today's music for the 80's music. The cycle keeps going.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2010 02:11 AM
LLLLLink is currently offline Click here to Send LLLLLink a Private Message Find more posts by LLLLLink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Yeah, I admit most of my favorite songs were from my generation (90's).

I think to appreciate this generation's music, we should be the ones to adjust to their preference.

If we can't, it means we're just growing old.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jun 20th, 2010 04:23 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Yeah, I admit most of my favorite songs were from my generation (90's).

I think to appreciate this generation's music, we should be the ones to adjust to their preference.

If we can't, it means we're just growing old.
Prepare to be told you're missing the point.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2010 04:54 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
A Hero's Fate
The Legend Ends

I feel like the people making the point are missing the point.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2010 06:33 AM
A Hero's Fate is currently offline Click here to Send A Hero's Fate a Private Message Find more posts by A Hero's Fate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Originally posted by Peach

Bullshit.

Please explain how. I've never heard a Tool song on the radio, and I've never seen a Tool video on TV. Might be that they are more popular in the US than in Europe. Either way, they certainly weren't as popular as Led Zep or whatever during the 70's, and AiC and Soundgarden's succes is comparable to that of the White Stripes and QotSA.

Either The White Stripes and QotSA should be counted as ''great mainstream bands'' or Tool, AiC and Soundgarden shouldn't be.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2010 01:21 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Dude, no matter what decade you live in, 90% of mainstream music and 70% of underground music is going to be total shit. The difference, is that every once in awhile, the music industry's sphincter gets a spasm and accidentally let's in a whole bunch of cool music into the mainstream before it realizes that they're accidentally marketing art instead of a product and clenches up again.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2010 11:53 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

Dude, no matter what decade you live in, 90% of mainstream music and 70% of underground music is going to be total shit. The difference, is that every once in awhile, the music industry's sphincter gets a spasm and accidentally let's in a whole bunch of cool music into the mainstream before it realizes that they're accidentally marketing art instead of a product and clenches up again.

Now that was creatively spoken.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2010 12:07 AM
LLLLLink is currently offline Click here to Send LLLLLink a Private Message Find more posts by LLLLLink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

That definitely happened with the Melvins during the early 90's when they were with Atlantic. I'm surprised no one's mentioned them here yet. Stoner Witch changed my life and even The Bride Screamed Murder did the same for me again. I actually traded in all the so-called "extreme metal" stuff I used to enjoy for more stuff like the Melvins.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2010 05:45 AM
Markness is currently offline Click here to Send Markness a Private Message Find more posts by Markness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Even the shit from the 80s and 90s seems like it was better shit than the shit about these days.

Sure. we had to put up with Madonna, and the Spice girls, but that shit was way better than the Fast Food Rockers and Crazy frog.

I'll never forgive the noughties for that shite.... ever.

Everything got uncreative, grey feeling and sterile.
What happened to our souls...
How did we go from Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" to Nickleback..?
From anarchic warm feeling joy of Jane's Addiction's "Been caught stealing" to Coldplay? ...greyed down spiritless dross.
And from the truly agressive Big Four of the eighties to that ineffectual pap that passes as rock and metal today..?

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jul 16th, 2010 07:54 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Even the shit from the 80s and 90s seems like it was better shit than the shit about these days.

Sure. we had to put up with Madonna, and the Spice girls, but that shit was way better than the Fast Food Rockers and Crazy frog.
Even if you're right, you're still only saying that the bad music from those days was better than the bad music from these days. Either way, its bad music, so what does that prove? It doesnt mean that there is any less good music being made.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2010 08:56 PM
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Slay
Please explain how. I've never heard a Tool song on the radio, and I've never seen a Tool video on TV. Might be that they are more popular in the US than in Europe. Either way, they certainly weren't as popular as Led Zep or whatever during the 70's, and AiC and Soundgarden's succes is comparable to that of the White Stripes and QotSA.

Either The White Stripes and QotSA should be counted as ''great mainstream bands'' or Tool, AiC and Soundgarden shouldn't be.

I don't listen to the radio very often - only when in my car and only if it's a drive that's less than like half an hour (more than that and I plug in my iPod). And I still hear Tool, AiC, Soundgarden, and QoTSA and White Stripes played a ton. AiC and Soundgarden in particular are getting a lot of airplay right now, with AiC having released a new album recently and Soundgarden having gotten back together.

All five of those bands have had great commercial success. And yes, I would definitely classify QoTSA and White Stripes as being great mainstream bands.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jul 16th, 2010 09:06 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I argee the sixtys to the Nintys for me was the best time of music ever and now it is all just downhill.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2010 03:12 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Even if you're right, you're still only saying that the bad music from those days was better than the bad music from these days. Either way, its bad music, so what does that prove? It doesnt mean that there is any less good music being made.

Just attempting to highlight that today's "good" music against the old good music, loses.

As does the poo music, when compared to the poo music of yesteryear.

So old music for me at least, dominates new on all levels.
There was shit music...but due to more freeodom of individualism/ different recording standards/techiques back then, personality shone through....things felt like they had soul. Music was allowed to be weirder back then...to let the idiosyncrises shine through... Now its all 'moody but sterile' stuff.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 01:32 AM

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2010 01:30 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Music was allowed to be weirder back then...to let the idiosyncrises shine through... Now its all 'moody but sterile' stuff.

Listen to more current music. wink

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2010 06:47 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote