KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » 2000-2009 - Worst Music Decade Ever

2000-2009 - Worst Music Decade Ever
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Slay
Skyhighatrist

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Peach
I don't listen to the radio very often - only when in my car and only if it's a drive that's less than like half an hour (more than that and I plug in my iPod). And I still hear Tool, AiC, Soundgarden, and QoTSA and White Stripes played a ton. AiC and Soundgarden in particular are getting a lot of airplay right now, with AiC having released a new album recently and Soundgarden having gotten back together.

All five of those bands have had great commercial success. And yes, I would definitely classify QoTSA and White Stripes as being great mainstream bands.

You're actually right, but that's because I misphrased what I meant to say. Their commercial succes has probably been great, as in they have sold loads of records. That's not what I meant though, what I meant to say is that Soundgarden, AiC or Tool weren't popular amongst a 'mainstream' crowd, which Led Zep or the Beatles etc. were. Also, I know about Alice In Chains just having released an album, and has gotten good reviews I believe, that doesn't really have anything to do with the topic at hand though.

Either way, my original point was that the OP should either not count Tool, AiC or Soundgarden as great 'mainstream' bands of the 90's, or should count The White Stripes and QotSA as great mainstream bands of the 00's. Which of the two you prefer is up to you...

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2010 03:38 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
As does the poo music, when compared to the poo music of yesteryear.

I would rather listen to Coldplay or Lil Wayne than Boney M or 10CC. It all comes down to opinion and what not though.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2010 03:42 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Even the shit from the 80s and 90s seems like it was better shit than the shit about these days.

Sure. we had to put up with Madonna, and the Spice girls, but that shit was way better than the Fast Food Rockers and Crazy frog.

I'll never forgive the noughties for that shite.... ever.

Everything got uncreative, grey feeling and sterile.
What happened to our souls...
How did we go from Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" to Nickleback..?
From anarchic warm feeling joy of Jane's Addiction's "Been caught stealing" to Coldplay? ...greyed down spiritless dross.
And from the truly agressive Big Four of the eighties to that ineffectual pap that passes as rock and metal today..?

This is true. Mainstream to me has sucked, but I'd rather listen to the crap in the 90's compared to today. Like a thousand times over.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2011 11:14 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

The problem with saying that sucky music today is worse than sucky music of the past is that your opinion is always gonna be colored by nostalgia. MC Hammer and New Kids On The Block were garbage but when you associate the music with memories of watching Saturday morning cartoons, the nostalgia factor is going to work. You probably have fond memories of Ace Of Base playing on your mom's car radio when she bought you a Super Nintendo or Chumbawumba or some other crap on the clock radio or CD shuffler when you lost your virginity which colors it as better than when your college dorm mate wakes you up with a cover of Mad World for the hundredth time at 7 in the morning or when little kids drag you to see The Jonas Brothers movie or Hannah Montana or some other crap.
Trust me, music was just as bad then as it was now. The only difference is slight shifts in genre and worse recording techniques.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jul 19th, 2011 08:14 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Obviously there was great music made in the last decade, but the point raised in the OP was that new, legitimately talented bands aren't really getting the same level of exposure as new "break out" bands did in the last decade, is a legitimate and accurate concern. I don't think the OP is suggesting that there aren't great and talent bands that deserve to be successful... just that those bands aren't getting the same level of recognition as they would have in the 90s. If you ask 10 people off the street if they've heard of The Smashing Pumpkins, and then ask them same question about Arcade Fire, I think the difference in the answers would be pretty drastic. It's about public awareness, not a lack of good bands.

I honestly think it might be a North American thing, because I'm aware of a lot of great bands and talented musicians from UK (Ireland primarily for some reason), and the Australia, and I'm not even really looking for them... so whats up with that? They must have better agents and PR or something.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2011 08:14 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wicker_man
V.2

I find it difficult to take such sentiments seriously when the likes of...Opeth, Mastodon, Tool, The Mars Volta, Devin Townsend, Panic Cell, Akercocke, Iron Maiden, Emperor, Megadeth, Dark Tranquility et. all continued to release excellent albums in that decade.

That's NUMBERWANG!!!

Old Post Aug 13th, 2011 06:58 PM
wicker_man is currently offline Click here to Send wicker_man a Private Message Find more posts by wicker_man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Music gets worse due to the numerous Indie bands/artists mixing random sounds and calling the finished product "music".
Scene music like Nintendocore, the new Screamo bands... they are products of Indie music.

The growth of the Indie music scene is the cancer of the music industry.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Aug 14th, 2011 01:12 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote