KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Django Unchained

Django Unchained
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I saw it on Saturday. So I'll chime in with my opinion...

I thought it rocked.. for the first hour and a half to 2 hours or so. The story line through Leo DiCaprio and Walz's characters was f#cking superb. Hilarious, intense, beautifully filmed. Pure brilliance. After that, I think some stuff should have been reworked a little, not only because it was a bit too long, but also because a few things were a bit unbelievable and kind of took me out of the film a bit. Not the least of which was Quentin's character. He was terribly out of place (or perhaps it's just because I know what he looks like and he's gotten fatter and even more ugly). He just didnt' seem necessary for that role ([SPOILER - highlight to read]: However, the fact that he blew himself to bits was pretty hilarious, haha). And what was with the rap music during the shootout scenes? That was out of place to me.. kind of un-Tarantino-ish. I know it's a black fantasy kind of thing, but it just didn't fit the era and kind of came across as a shameless catering to present black culture. I'm used to Tarantino using more quirky music for moments of intense violence, while here he settled for a bit of a popular cliche.

It's Inglourious Basterds for blacks, though, for sure. I'm sure I'll end up watching it again on DVD/bluray and seeing how it plays again. LOVED DiCaprio's, Walz's, Foxx's, Samuel Jackson's, Kerry Washington's performances, though. So good. Leo DiCaprio was especially brilliant. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Oh, and is it just me or did it seem like Samuel L. Jackson kind of broke character when he was talking to Django hanging upside down from his feet? If it's just me, I'll shut up, but it seemed like he kind of lost his old-man house-[term deleted] persona and just sounded like normal, ordinary Samuel L.

But in any case, GO SEE IT. A very enjoyable time at the movies. It was an especially unique experience because I was one of probably a handfull of white people in the theater, and the kind of laughs that the film gets is pretty interesting, considering that slavery isn't exactly a laughing matter for blacks.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2012 12:30 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lexington
Elysian Fields

Great Review, it's on my To Watch list!

Old Post Dec 31st, 2012 12:53 AM
Lexington is currently offline Click here to Send Lexington a Private Message Find more posts by Lexington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
And what was with the rap music during the shootout scenes? That was out of place to me.. kind of un-Tarantino-ish. I know it's a black fantasy kind of thing, but it just didn't fit the era and kind of came across as a shameless catering to present black culture. I'm used to Tarantino using more quirky music for moments of intense violence, while here he settled for a bit of a popular cliche.

how is it both out of place, and a cliche?

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
the kind of laughs that the film gets is pretty interesting, considering that slavery isn't exactly a laughing matter for blacks.
To whom is slavery a laughing matter?

Old Post Dec 31st, 2012 01:08 AM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Slavery is no laughing matter, but this isn't a "period piece". It's a spaghetti western(confirmed by Tarantino and Foxx) with slavery at it's core. It's not Roots or Amistad. And the movie is funny, simple as that.

And the music went well. In an interview Tarintino said he likes rap music and thought it would go well in certain scenes, which is why he used it. Just because it's different from his usual doesn't mean it's pandering.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2012 01:27 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by marwash22
how is it both out of place, and a cliche?

Out of the place for the era & Tarantino. And cliched because it's like playing hard rock or rap during a shoot out scene or a some Taylor Swift song for a romantic make-out scene (same idea, enhancing the obvious emotion).

Old Post Dec 31st, 2012 03:48 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Been reading Tarantino wants to do his own movie version of Tuskagee Airmen 'Killer Crow', it was originally going to be part of Inglorious Basterds

quote:
followed a bunch of black troops, and they had been f–ked over by the American military and kind of go apes–t. They basically — the way Lt. Aldo Raines (Brad Pitt) and the Basterds are having an “Apache resistance” — [the] black troops go on an Apache warpath and kill a bunch of white soldiers and white officers on a military base and are just making a warpath to Switzerland.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2012 06:22 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Loved the movie. Favorite movie of the year fairly easily. 3rd favorite Tarantino movie (behind Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds).

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2012 11:15 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

I loved it. I'd give it a close 2nd behind Avengers for Best of 2012

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 02:57 AM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
cant wait to count the number of times the N word used...

how about some guestimations...

I'll say 14ish
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
LOL
I actually think it is to.

how about 27.
my final guess

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 03:34 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Boy I was off

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 03:35 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

By alot.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 03:38 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Spike Lee is a racist cockbag.

All his rants and rage posts are doing nothing except hyping this amazing film.

Yes, I saw it and it was amazing.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 04:14 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

As a black guy, I don't condone Spike's antics most of the time. He makes good movies, but damn.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 04:15 AM
Impediment
Endless

I agree. He's a very good film maker, but, factually, he is a racist.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 04:16 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

No argument. He tries so hard to defend black people and the culture that he puts others down in the process.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 04:17 AM
Impediment
Endless

Thank you.

He wanted to direct the Malcolm X film so badly that he used a racist angle to outsource the original director, who was a white man.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 04:19 AM
KingD19

I never knew that.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 04:22 AM
Impediment
Endless

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 04:29 AM
Mindset

Impediment, why do you hate black people?

Going to see this tmrw. thumb up

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 04:37 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

See, that's the hypocritical behavior that kinda irks me.

Malcolm X and MLK fought for Black freedom and equality in a time where there wasn't any.

And now that there is, people say, "Nah, because they were black, only black people can be involved." Well what were they fighting for equality for if that's gonna be ignored in cases like this?

F*** race, if the guy would have made a good movie. Give him the chance to make a good movie.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 04:47 AM