KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Superman vs Silver Surfer-Race to Pluto

Superman vs Silver Surfer-Race to Pluto
Started by: Damborgson

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MF DELPH
I'd say Surfer.

Though my reason is simply to spite abhilegend.
Mod this man.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Sep 24th, 2012 08:08 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rotiart
Stan Lee Stole my name

If you guys are using pc superman I add in classic surfer. The one who could time travel....

He technically could get there before the thing started.

"There is no writer to purposely ignore a character's natural ability just because it suits the story."
"in some cases because the writer knows that Character A will dominate Character B easily and refuses to allow this to happen for the sake of the story."

Old Post Sep 24th, 2012 09:00 PM
rotiart is currently offline Click here to Send rotiart a Private Message Find more posts by rotiart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by rotiart
If you guys are using pc superman I add in classic surfer. The one who could time travel....

He technically could get there before the thing started.

So can Supes.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Sep 24th, 2012 09:12 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Originally posted by Batman-Prime
Surfer, though I think they are close in travel speed. Norrin should have the better start iow instant, while Kal has to accelerate.
Superman is already on his way, by the time Surfer has registered that the race has started.

Couple that, with the fact that Superman has outsped Mandrakk's reality-blitzing missles (which is a ridiculous feat, but that's Final Crisis and Grant Morrison)

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums...tyblitzing1.jpg
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums...tyblitzing2.jpg

And this wouldn't be to Surfer's liking.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 08:17 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Originally posted by Philosophía
Superman is already on his way, by the time Surfer has registered that the race has started.

Couple that, with the fact that Superman has outsped Mandrakk's reality-blitzing missles (which is a ridiculous feat, but that's Final Crisis and Grant Morrison)

I think they are both aware when the race start. I think it will be like a normal start, with a countdown.

They start on Earth, so I think Superman has to take care of his Speed while in the atmosphere, except of this I was thinking of his Light Speed feat with the Shadow moon and that he had to work "hard" to reach that speed. It might take less then a second but I think that Surfer with his cosmic awareness and his cosmic powers (Board) is capable to get into his top speed instantly, while Supes would need some "nano?"-seconds.

Just my thoughs on this.

As for the Final Crisis. Imho Superman was operating at least on Trans level there if not Skyfather. And it's hard to judge how fast those reality missles were.

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 08:26 PM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

I think they are both aware when the race start. I think it will be like a normal start, with a countdown.

They start on Earth, so I think Superman has to take care of his Speed while in the atmosphere, except of this I was thinking of his Light Speed feat with the Shadow moon and that he had to work "hard" to reach that speed. It might take less then a second but I think that Surfer with his cosmic awareness and his cosmic powers (Board) is capable to get into his top speed instantly, while Supes would need some "nano?"-seconds.

Just my thoughs on this.

As for the Final Crisis. Imho Superman was operating at least on Trans level there if not Skyfather. And it's hard to judge how fast those reality missles were.
They both have to percieve the 'start' of the race, be it a countdown or whatever else. Superman's perception and processing works much faster, so he'd start accelerating and heading towards Pluto exponentially faster, before Surfer would process that the race has started and start accelerating himself.

The race taking place on Earth and Superman restraining himself is a good point, if a bit inconsistent. Sometimes he reaches crazy speeds on Earth, sometimes a writer remembers that hey, that would wreck shit up. Let's not pretend that there haven't been instances (many of them) where Surfer wasn't able to reach his top speed 'instantly', or even close to that. There've been times where he's taken a while to reach lightspeed, or even less than that, and to my knowledge, there's no such thing as him "instantly" hitting his top speed, ever.

Yeah, he was ridiculously competent - but, like I said, that's Grant Morrison's Superman at his height. The missles were already launched, and they were about to blitz-sterilize reality, so Superman (and the others) had to act. Surfer's acceleration feats compare to that - and Superman accelerated even faster.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 08:44 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

isn't it dcnu superman?

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 08:47 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

They both have to percieve the 'start' of the race, be it a countdown or whatever else. Superman's perception and processing works much faster, so he'd start accelerating and heading towards Pluto exponentially faster, before Surfer would process that the race has started and start accelerating himself.

The race taking place on Earth and Superman restraining himself is a good point, if a bit inconsistent. Sometimes he reaches crazy speeds on Earth, sometimes a writer remembers that hey, that would wreck shit up. Let's not pretend that there haven't been instances (many of them) where Surfer wasn't able to reach his top speed 'instantly', or even close to that.

Yeah, he was ridiculously competent - but, like I said, that's Grant Morrison's Superman at his height. The missles were already launched, and they were about to blitz-sterilize reality, so Superman (and the others) had to act. Surfer's acceleration feats compare to that - and Superman accelerated even faster.

But wouldn't his Cosmic Awareness allow him to perceive the start at the very exact moment? I also imagine his Board and Power Cosmic to work like an explosion or like a Jet whose engines are at max power and at the start he releases the breaks. Superman imho can't do that, he has to accelerate, even though it won't take him long it's still a step behind such a "fast start".

Yeah, I always though he tries to take his time till he goes beyond the speed of sound so he won't do serious damage around him, though in the restaurant with Flash they talked and acted within a second they didn't move a lot. And in the very same comic he had to work also hard to grab Flash.
I agree on the Surfer but due to his Cosmic Powers, a plot device more or less, he can keep the collateral damage at bay.

He lifted infinity there, so yes he operated beyond his average self. In this Race I think we take their "average" and Supes would accelerate, to reduce damage and because of the instances where he had to work to reach a certain speed. The high end speed of both should be similar imho, at least that would be my guess how they would be portrayed in comics, so Surfer should, with a better start, reach Pluto a nanosecond before Supes. ^^

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 08:57 PM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Phil, shut up.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 09:22 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

But wouldn't his Cosmic Awareness allow him to perceive the start at the very exact moment? I also imagine his Board and Power Cosmic to work like an explosion or like a Jet whose engines are at max power and at the start he releases the breaks. Superman imho can't do that, he has to accelerate, even though it won't take him long it's still a step behind such a "fast start".

Yeah, I always though he tries to take his time till he goes beyond the speed of sound so he won't do serious damage around him, though in the restaurant with Flash they talked and acted within a second they didn't move a lot. And in the very same comic he had to work also hard to grab Flash.
I agree on the Surfer but due to his Cosmic Powers, a plot device more or less, he can keep the collateral damage at bay.

He lifted infinity there, so yes he operated beyond his average self. In this Race I think we take their "average" and Supes would accelerate, to reduce damage and because of the instances where he had to work to reach a certain stpeed. The high end speed of both should be similar imho, at least that would be my guess how they would be portrayed in comics, so Surfer should, with a better start, reach Pluto a nanosecond before Supes. ^^

Whether cosmic awareness tells him "you have to accelerate in 3 seconds", or a countdown shows him 3,2,1 it's still the same thing - he is the one who has to initiate the action, and it's up to his perception and reaction time (which is considerably inferior to Superman) to do so. There is no automatic pilot, or stipulation that he 'programs' the board to start flying as soon as the bell rings, eventhough he himself hasn't percieved the fact that it's time to go.

The board doesn't instantly reach top speed - it has to accelerate, just like Superman.
Him being 'careful' once he reaches the speed of sound is inconsistent. There are a shitload more scenes where he isn't careful going far, far faster than sound, than the ones where he has to be extra-careful, though. I'm not sure why you think him working hard to grab Flash contradicts anything.

On 'average' Superman doesn't need to be careful when going faster than sound in Earth's atmosphere; the examples of him not needing to outweight the ones where he does to a ridiculous degree. Surfer doesn't instantly accelerate to his top speed even on his highest of ends, nevermind average, either.

Meh.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 09:35 PM
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Definitely Surfer now.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 09:50 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

laughing out loud

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 09:52 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Definitely Surfer now.

laughing out loud

Like you were ever going to vote for Superman before.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 09:52 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Definitely Surfer now.
Your hate feeds me, magnumlactus.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 10:01 PM
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Whether cosmic awareness tells him "you have to accelerate in 3 seconds", or a countdown shows him 3,2,1 it's still the same thing - he is the one who has to initiate the action, and it's up to his perception and reaction time (which is considerably inferior to Superman) to do so. There is no automatic pilot, or stipulation that he 'programs' the board to start flying as soon as the bell rings, eventhough he himself hasn't percieved the fact that it's time to go.

The board doesn't instantly reach top speed - it has to accelerate, just like Superman.
Him being 'careful' once he reaches the speed of sound is inconsistent. There are a shitload more scenes where he isn't careful going far, far faster than sound, than the ones where he has to be extra-careful, though. I'm not sure why you think him working hard to grab Flash contradicts anything.

On 'average' Superman doesn't need to be careful when going faster than sound in Earth's atmosphere; the examples of him not needing to outweight the ones where he does to a ridiculous degree. Surfer doesn't instantly accelerate to his top speed even on his highest of ends, nevermind average, either.

Meh.

I get you line of thinking. Superman can accelerte his perception in the Same way like He did with Flash. A second becomes then like an hour or longer, He hear and See the trigger an time will almost stop for him. He would have then a better Start indeed and could win this. I cant remember an instance where ss accelerated his perception in this way, so considering this, Superman should win thumb up

Old Post Sep 26th, 2012 12:55 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Writing from a phone is a Pain in the Ass. This Forum needs an app.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2012 12:59 AM
ozz81

superman easily

Old Post Sep 26th, 2012 01:01 AM
ozz81 is currently offline Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

What about when Surfer searched the entire Earth in a few seconds? That would have required sped up perception as well.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 26th, 2012 01:10 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Originally posted by Endless Mike
What about when Surfer searched the entire Earth in a few seconds? That would have required sped up perception as well.

Or some rounds around the globe with an wide area cosmic awareness scan? That would make more sense considering his powers imo.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2012 01:14 AM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

But if he wasn't perceiving things that fast he wouldn't be able to process the information.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 26th, 2012 01:19 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote