KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » A new age of comic books?

A new age of comic books?
Started by: Endless Mike

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cogito

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Q99
Mind you, while they often get a starting point*, it's generally just because their points are somewhat sooner, and Marvel's are often more influential**.

*The first appearance of Barry Allen

** The creation of the Fantastic Four [first series with more 'imperfect' heroes who argued among themselves], Spider-man [Spider-man], and the Hulk [having a 'hero' often fight the army, and not desire to be a hero? Nothing like it before] really revolutionized comics.

And/or in some cases, the changes were happening at the same time in both.

DC lead the Golden Age, Marvel the Silver, both jumped into the Bronze and Modern at around the same time as there was more back-and-forth with the writers.

No question Marvel ran with the Silver Age, and even the Bronze Age, but my point was just that DC was the trigger to both.

Actually here, I'd argue that Marvel's film success with mainstream audiences pushed DC into the new 52, which pushed Marvel to NOW. So while from the comic standpoint it was DC that really started this new age, it was Marvel that pushed them into it.

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 09:48 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote:
Golgo13

I would say more mainstream. Fantastic Four was based a little bit off of Challengers of the Unknown. The Hulk isn't a new concept, either.

Challengers of the Unknown, in the adventuring group bit, yes, but not so much the interpersonal conflict among superheroes part.

And among Superheroes? The Hulk made a huge splash. Misunderstood monster protagonist was not a thing in the comic medium before him.

Originally posted by Cogito

Actually here, I'd argue that Marvel's film success with mainstream audiences pushed DC into the new 52, which pushed Marvel to NOW. So while from the comic standpoint it was DC that really started this new age, it was Marvel that pushed them into it.

Mm, the movies probably didn't push anything. Successful movies don't affect comic sales significantly (they sell some tie-ins but that's about it), and DC's had the Dark Knight movies too.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2013 09:05 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Cogito
The interesting debate will be whether it was started by the New 52 or the sudden prominence of super hero movies.
I believe that the slew of comic-based movies is what got the ball rolling for this new age. The movies peaked and/or renewed the interest of comic books for millions of people-- naturally, DC saw this as an opportunity to remake their company from the ground up, in order to attract all of these new-found readers. Once Marvel saw what a success that move was for DC, they did the same basic thing with their company.

I do miss the old universes, though. sad

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 12:08 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Q99
Challengers of the Unknown, in the adventuring group bit, yes, but not so much the interpersonal conflict among superheroes part.

And among Superheroes? The Hulk made a huge splash. Misunderstood monster protagonist was not a thing in the comic medium before him.

Mm, the movies probably didn't push anything. Successful movies don't affect comic sales significantly (they sell some tie-ins but that's about it), and DC's had the Dark Knight movies too.

I know, which is why I said "a little bit".

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 10:43 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote