KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » I was disappointed with Mandarin in IM3 *spoilers*

I was disappointed with Mandarin in IM3 *spoilers*
Started by: steverules_2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

So should we assume Killian has been behind everything from the first movie? That the Ten Rings terrorist organization is an offshoot of A.I.M.? Or will a later reveal in future films find it's Hydra?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 6th, 2013 04:41 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteWitchKing

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
So should we assume Killian has been behind everything from the first movie? That the Ten Rings terrorist organization is an offshoot of A.I.M.? Or will a later reveal in future films find it's Hydra?

Maybe Killian just took the 10 Rings' name and tied it with his Mandarin. At first, i thought Killian and AIM were weapons dealer that worked/supplied Mandarin and his terrorist organization who funded Killian's research until the Trevor reveal. It would've made the MU even more interesting with Killian, Mandarin, AIM, 10 Rings, and Hydra as credible threats. SHIELD would have some major enemies to deal with then.

Old Post May 6th, 2013 06:32 AM
WhiteWitchKing is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteWitchKing a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteWitchKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slowpoke

Killian does not fit the antagonist role, simple.

He's one of the worst superhero movie villian I've seen.

Old Post May 6th, 2013 06:49 AM
Slowpoke is currently offline Click here to Send Slowpoke a Private Message Find more posts by Slowpoke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I reakon they can still use the real mandarin since this one that we've seen is something A.I.M cooked up to make some money.

Old Post May 6th, 2013 06:51 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteWitchKing

Originally posted by Kazenji
I reakon they can still use the real mandarin since this one that we've seen is something A.I.M cooked up to make some money.

Hopefully they will. I was hyped up after seeing the trailer with Tony turning on his "imma kill that son-a-ma-*****" and Mandarin going "do you want an empty life or a meaningful death?" A douchebag tycoon vs a douchebag terrorist was all I hoped for to conclude the last of the trilogy.

Old Post May 6th, 2013 07:06 AM
WhiteWitchKing is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteWitchKing a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteWitchKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I don't see the problem with having 10 power rings when we have guys breathing fire.

The movie version could have had the power rings technology based, needing the arc reactor to power them maybe?

Anyway f*** them. It's too late now. What's done is done.

Old Post May 6th, 2013 07:39 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Why can't it be the alien rings?

we can accept an alien invasion with Avengers and Norse gods but not that.

Old Post May 6th, 2013 07:41 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteWitchKing

Yeah, that's what I don't get? Isn't his rings alien tech anyways but people keep saying it's magic?

Let's just hope they don't decide to make another twist and reveal Ultron to be another corporate guy seeking vengeance.

Old Post May 6th, 2013 08:57 PM
DragonRider19
Kurt Phucking Angle

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I don't see the problem with having 10 power rings when we have guys breathing fire.

thumb up

Originally posted by Kazenji
Why can't it be the alien rings?

we can accept an alien invasion with Avengers and Norse gods but not that.

thumb up

These were my problems with the movie as well.
You have fire breathing, Limbs regrowing instantly, falling 200+ ft no side effects.

But having magic, alien tech or advanced human tech (all of which have been seen in the Marvel Movieverse) is too far fetched.

The Ankle Butcher, Patriotic Entity,
Earths Mightiest Hero, KURT PHUCKING ANGLE.

Old Post May 6th, 2013 10:19 PM
DragonRider19 is currently offline Click here to Send DragonRider19 a Private Message Find more posts by DragonRider19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DragonRider19
Kurt Phucking Angle

Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing

Let's just hope they don't decide to make another twist and reveal Ultron to be another corporate guy seeking vengeance.

I swear if they do Ultron (which they probably will, with an Ant man movie coming up) they better not phuck him up. I'll be so mad, if they ruin Ultron the same way they did Mandarin.

The Ankle Butcher, Patriotic Entity,
Earths Mightiest Hero, KURT PHUCKING ANGLE.

Old Post May 6th, 2013 10:21 PM
DragonRider19 is currently offline Click here to Send DragonRider19 a Private Message Find more posts by DragonRider19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Good article here, on why this twist on the Mandarin works so well.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/wh...-all-time/12126

Old Post May 7th, 2013 12:00 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteWitchKing

Originally posted by armedforbattle
thumb up

thumb up

You have fire breathing, Limbs regrowing instantly, falling 200+ ft no side effects.

But having magic, alien tech or advanced human tech (all of which have been seen in the Marvel Movieverse) is too far fetched.

I think Shane Black just hates the Mandarin. IM 3 has a lot of similarities to The Dark Knight Rises.

There's a lot of similarities that's for sure. Not sure if this was by accident or some was adapted into IM3 story line with Black & Marvel thinking they could be it better.
http://moviehodgepodge.com/2013/05/...k-knight-rises/

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 7th, 2013 12:42 AM
steverules_2

When I was watching IM3 not once did I think any of it was like TDKR, and as for the pictures why don't you isn't Batmans broken mask next to spider-mans ripped mask or other heroes who have ended up with a broken/ripped mask? Or Bruce Waynes beat up face next to other heroes beat up faces? And the plane picture, those people in Iron Man 3 are falling out of a plane that just had a hole blown in it...TDKR plane picture is people dropping out of a plane to hijack another plane

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post May 7th, 2013 09:46 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by armedforbattle
thumb up

thumb up

You have to have Thor & Asgard involved, to sell magic tech in the MCU right now. That's why Captain America also worked, because Thor provided the way for it. You want to have a story where some alien tech randomly drops from the sky - look how well that worked with Spider Man 3, with the symbiote. It felt forced and artificial. Some future Thor or Avengers storyline where weapons like the Ten Rings get released from the weapons vault and some rival of Tony Stark gets their hands on it...that's more natural, organic storytelling.

Old Post May 8th, 2013 10:38 PM
WhiteWitchKing

You have to have Thor & Asgard involved, to sell magic tech in the MCU right now. That's why Captain America also worked, because Thor provided the way for it. You want to have a story where some alien tech randomly drops from the sky - look how well that worked with Spider Man 3, with the symbiote. It felt forced and artificial. Some future Thor or Avengers storyline where weapons like the Ten Rings get released from the weapons vault and some rival of Tony Stark gets their hands on it...that's more natural, organic storytelling.

Alien tech would work though since the Tesseract seemed more cosmic than magic. But either way, alien tech would be plausible since like you said something like magic/science was already introduced. Extremis itself didn't seem forced either and it was science based. SM 3 was terrible because there was no development for it and too villains involved. Green Goblin Jr, Sandman. and Venom in one movie was over doing.

Old Post May 9th, 2013 03:24 AM
nikfang

I'm suprised they even released the movie with the Extremis bombs after what happened at boston, usually movies are held back because of stuff like that.

Old Post May 9th, 2013 05:59 AM
nikfang is currently offline Click here to Send nikfang a Private Message Find more posts by nikfang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Fans here can argue all they want about how the Mandarin has been disrespected, that it's unfitting since he's supposed to be Tony's greatest enemy...but seriously, go back to the comics. What was the most famous storyline where the Mandarin was the heavy?

Think back over the past few decades of famous Iron Man storylines: Demon In A Bottle, the Obadiah Stane/Iron Monger arc (which lasted three years), Armor Wars, Extremis, Civil War, World War Hulk, the Matt Fraction years (World's Most Wanted, Stark Resilient) - the Mandarin doesn't figure in those at all. Mot of the time, Tony's greatest enemy is himself(alcoholism, being trapped by his politics and obligations as a company C.E.O.) or half the hero community because his futurist ideas put him in conflict with their more idealistic approach. Truth is, Mandarin was a foil because of the Communist paranoia and turmoil of the 1960's, but that's faded away ever since China and the USA became economic & political partners 40 years ago. It's why Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man have become less relevant too, after 20+ years of no more Cold War. Stark is a tech-based hero and it's fitting that's who his primary rivals should be. Justin Hammer, Obadiah Stane and their heirs have done more to harass Tony in the comics than the Mandarin has done in decades.

Old Post May 13th, 2013 03:42 PM
Darth Thor

Fans here can argue all they want about how the Mandarin has been disrespected, that it's unfitting since he's supposed to be Tony's greatest enemy...but seriously, go back to the comics. What was the most famous storyline where the Mandarin was the heavy?

It's not that, it's just building him up like that, and then making a joke out of it.

It wasn't just comic book fans who thought that was a very strange turn for the film. But just from an entertainment point of view, it was a pointless twist.

Old Post May 13th, 2013 04:31 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

i felt cheated, that's what.. you build this character up sooo good, get an oscar winner to play him, get all the terrifying aspects of a villain right, then turn him into a joke..

Old Post May 13th, 2013 04:52 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
It's not that, it's just building him up like that, and then making a joke out of it.

It wasn't just comic book fans who thought that was a very strange turn for the film. But just from an entertainment point of view, it was a pointless twist.

The twist is that he's an empty shell, a face that can be an easy target with all the over the top pageantry that goes with him. Tony was wondering that early on: why all the eclectic pageantry we're seeing?...Because it just makes him that much bigger of a distraction and the media swallows it whole. Meanwhile, the real villain is a tall blond guy in a suit with a charming, trusting smile. The Mandarin was right when he says "You'll never see me coming" - because no one had noticed Killian moving & orchestrating things for 10+ years.

If they had played Mandarin straight to the end, with everything we had seen to that point, then the non-hardcore fans would just have thought of him as Marvel's attempt to outdo the Joker from TDK. I think now that the old Mandarin cliche of the 1960's is out of the way, it leaves it open for future Shared Marvel Universe films to do him in a more modern way & surprising way.

Old Post May 13th, 2013 05:30 PM