KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Great reads that no one knows about..?

Great reads that no one knows about..?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
it's different but i think it's really well done. it's pretty creepy and it has some nice visuals too. incidentally--i've had loads of free time this holiday season and decided to finally dig into fables. pretty solid stuff. read the first 40-45 issues so far so still a ways to get caught up, but i've really liked most of the storylines.

I hear it goes downhill at some point, but the early stuff, yea, gets a lot of praise.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2016 02:57 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Even at its worst, Fables is still a pretty amazing series.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 06:19 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Here's one- Beyond- Queer Sci-Fi Fantasy comic anthology

This anthology has some really great SF and fantasy stories in it (and, yes, characters who are queer. I don't think you need to be looking for that specifically to like most of them, though!).

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 08:19 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Empowered is in webcomic form now. I won't link it, because nsfw, but it's easy to find from Adam Warren's deviantart account or a net search.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 01:10 PM
Q99

Ok, to go back incredibly far- The works of Fletcher Hanks, especially Fantomah and Stardust the Space Wizard.

They're golden age comics, and Fantomah was arguably the first superpowered woman.

In Stardust, you have villain do evil plans, then Stardust swoops in - usually *after* the plans have done a lot of damage- and give them very, very bizarre and often disturbing punishments (like taking an evil gang, merging them into one person, and launching them into space) with his huge range of powers.

Fantomah's kinda the same thing, but she's the protector the jungle, and a bit less harsh. She's got a cooler look too- she's a beautiful woman who's skin turn blue and her face skeletal when she goes into vengeance gear and uses her powers.

(please log in to view the image)

They're both somewhat reminiscent of the Spectre, in being figures of punishment.

Really weird cool stuff.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2016 12:46 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Q99
(please log in to view the image)
Sidenote: handwritten text in the thought-bubbles is a lost art. sad

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 06:49 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Galan007
Sidenote: handwritten text in the thought-bubbles is a lost art. sad

Some still do it, but yea, it's nice.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 07:39 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Q99
Some still do it
Really? Who else?

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 08:03 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Really? Who else?

I know Adam Warren does on Empowered (he posts work-in-progress pics on his tumblr and twitter occasionally).

Here's an article about best lettering

And the Eisners have an award category for it. Here's the winner list

Todd Klein (who did Sandman) wins... a lot. But Stan Sakai of Usagi Yojimbo is the most recent winner.

So, I think a lot of pros still do, even if it's not as universal as it used to be.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 11:42 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That's great to hear, actually. thumb up

Old Post Feb 7th, 2016 02:49 AM
Q99

Immortal Wings is a just-started series by Antarctic Press (as in, issue 2 *just* came out and hasn't yet arrived in the mail for me, but I know the writer and the first issue is solid).

It's about a space bounty hunter who rides an immortal dragon. In the first issue, she's hired to take out a threat to the Emperor- only to discover the threat's no threat leaving her wondering what's going on.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 08:26 AM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Q99
Immortal Wings is a just-started series by Antarctic Press (as in, issue 2 *just* came out and hasn't yet arrived in the mail for me, but I know the writer and the first issue is solid).

It's about a space bounty hunter who rides an immortal dragon. In the first issue, she's hired to take out a threat to the Emperor- only to discover the threat's no threat leaving her wondering what's going on.

Wait, she rides a dragon through space? And can breathe in space?

...I've got to see this

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 08:56 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Just in case anyone new ventures into this thread, what do you guys think are the best current titles that fall into the obscure/unknown/Indie category? How about the best books ever in that category?

Given the sheer number of titles mentioned in this thread, top 10 lists would be helpful for others I think.

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 12th, 2016 at 09:52 PM

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 09:45 PM
Insane Titan

Just in case anyone new ventures into this thread, what do you guys think are the best current titles that fall into the obscure/unknown/Indie category? How about the best books ever in that category?

Given the sheer number of titles mentioned in this thread, top 10 lists would be helpful for others I think.
current Star Wars/Vader is one of the best IMO.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 09:57 PM
Insane Titan is currently offline Click here to Send Insane Titan a Private Message Find more posts by Insane Titan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Indeed, Marvel's Star Wars titles are great, but SW is very popular/mainstream(especially now that TFA has been released.) This thread is dedicated primarily to the Indie titles that aren't nearly as well-known to the masses, but are still excellent 'must-reads'.

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 12th, 2016 at 11:56 PM

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 11:52 PM
Q99

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Wait, she rides a dragon through space? And can breathe in space?

...I've got to see this

Also, the comic opens in an old west town, where she beats an outlaw Yaujta (as in, the aliens from Predator) in a gunduel.

Available here, it's by Rod Espinosa who also did 'The Courageous Princess,' Neotopia, and a couple other books.

Number one for me, Lazarus. I've mentioned it a couple times, really cool dark future, had a spectacularly well-done twist recently.

Saga. We all know Saga, right? Right. Actually not that obscure at this point I guess...

Empowered by Adam Warren. Love this book, tons of humor, tons of feels.

Those're my top three at the moment.

I liked Uber, the rather interesting (and bloody) 'WW2 with supers-as-an-armes-race' comic by Kieron Gillen, but unfortunately it's on hiatus.

Both Transformers ongoings are quite good. If you want something with a big cast and a stable ongoing continuity, IDW Transformers is tough to beat.

Lesse, I also have a long-time favorite in Fred Perry's Gold Digger. Adventure in a kitchen-sink world (with adventure archeology being the most common focus, but there's SF, fantasy, martial arts, etc.. And a number of references to other stuff) with a large cast who's allowed to grow. Not really the deepest comic, but I've had fun with it for a looong time and it's consistently enjoyable, so it gets a mention.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 06:09 AM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Q99
[B]Also, the comic opens in an old west town, where she beats an outlaw Yaujta (as in, the aliens from Predator) in a gunduel.

This is a crossover?

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 09:06 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Endless Mike
This is a crossover?

Nah, just a nod/reference.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2016 08:47 AM
krisblaze

Nowhere men has a lot of promise.

Been reading Injection, but it's slow as ****.

Uber's like 4 issues late now also?

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Feb 19th, 2016 08:26 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Old Post Feb 19th, 2016 10:04 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote