KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Emperor's Wrath II vs. Galen Marek

Emperor's Wrath II vs. Galen Marek
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ares834

Keep clinging to low showings to "prove" your argument. After all, Quanchi's favorite debating style is unsurpassed. smile

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 12:48 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

So everytime a character is doing well, that's their combat prowess, but when they get their ass handed to them, that's a low showing.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 01:33 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

No. But that's not what happened here.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 01:54 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Isn't it hypocritical of you to chide me about ignoring canon then ignore "low end feats?"

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 01:57 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Isn't it hypocritical of you to chide me about ignoring canon then ignore "low end feats?"

Nope. I don't ignore them, they happened. However, as I said earlier, when I debate I assume said character is battling at their best.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 02:02 AM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

So what makes you think these loses are any less valid?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 02:19 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

First, it's not a loss.

Secondly, it's a far lesser feat than many of Vader's others. Is it as "valid" as the others? Sure. But I debate characters operating at their best, not their worst. Debating based on characters lesser feats is lowballing. Always has been.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 02:42 AM
Kalen Sykes

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
The duel with Obi-Wan shows just how outclassed Marek is in sabers here. Vader improved in sabers considerably between the two games, so the amount of saber skill he has is relevant. The Clone also had no delusion of being Vader's match in sabers either, so while he may have willingly let himself be disarmed, it was more likely because he had no other option. Either way, Starkiller's Lightning wasn't enough to overwhelm Vader. Marek's skill in the Force is even lesser than this.

And no rush.

Finally made it back.

The saber portion is irrelevant, imo. I believe Marek would lose in sabers to Wrath. That being said, I think the ANH duel is being taken a little too seriously. Vader, to me, looked like he was toying with Kenobi, and Obi-Wan did show signs of being pressured. Looking at that, I don't see anything that would put ANH Obi-Wan over Marek.

Since this is about Marek vs Wrath, though, we need to looks at his Force feats, which I use the book for. I don't look at the game because other than the KOTOR/TOR series, there's usually another source with more accurate information and representations of the characters. In the book, his lightning was powerful enough to shut down an AT-AT in one blast, and while he just redirected it, the feat with the Star Destroyer above Raxus Prime still shows impressive power.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 03:04 AM
Click here to Send Kalen Sykes a Private Message Find more posts by Kalen Sykes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by ares834
First, it's not a loss.

Secondly, it's a far lesser feat than many of Vader's others. Is it as "valid" as the others? Sure. But I debate characters operating at their best, not their worst. Debating based on characters lesser feats is lowballing. Always has been.

Losing to your strongest opponent is not lowballing. And as far as I'm concerned Marek's clone was done when he faced Vader, if not for the setting. And the clone is stronger than Marek.
Originally posted by Kalen Sykes

The saber portion is irrelevant, imo. I believe Marek would lose in sabers to Wrath. That being said, I think the ANH duel is being taken a little too seriously. Vader, to me, looked like he was toying with Kenobi, and Obi-Wan did show signs of being pressured. Looking at that, I don't see anything that would put ANH Obi-Wan over Marek.

Vader wasn't toying with Obi-Wan and was trying to kill him. The novel shows where Vader goes in to cut Obi-Wan in half multiple times and he fails.
quote:

Since this is about Marek vs Wrath, though, we need to looks at his Force feats, which I use the book for. I don't look at the game because other than the KOTOR/TOR series, there's usually another source with more accurate information and representations of the characters. In the book, his lightning was powerful enough to shut down an AT-AT in one blast, and while he just redirected it, the feat with the Star Destroyer above Raxus Prime still shows impressive power.

Yes, but none of that ever translated into a combat situation, is what I'm saying. TFU made it seem like any powerful Jedi could replicate his feats. This will comedown to a battle with the Force to save Marek here, and the Wrath has already tanked the Force from Dark Side entities, high level Council members, and the Voice. Marek's Lighting in a combat situation just isn't all that different from anyone else's.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 03:47 AM
ares834

Losing to your strongest opponent is not lowballing. And as far as I'm concerned Marek's clone was done when he faced Vader, if not for the setting. And the clone is stronger than Marek.

Using the Obi-Wan fight as the basis of Vader's dueling capabilities is lowballing though.

And you're not merely using it to diminish Vader, but Marek as well...

Last edited by ares834 on Jul 20th, 2014 at 04:00 AM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 03:56 AM
Kalen Sykes

FreshestSlice, you keep mentioning the setting, when referring to Starkiller's fight against Vader. Are you talking about the lightning rods used in the game, but not in the book?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 04:04 AM
Click here to Send Kalen Sykes a Private Message Find more posts by Kalen Sykes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

It has nothing to do with lowballing, as I see nothing to say that Vader wasn't fighting to the fullest of his capabilities just because it's Obi-Wan. The point was to show how firmly below these others Marek is in sabers, yes, but it has nothing to do with how bad Vader is. I just consider the Wrath better than Obi-Wan in sabers. If Marek can't keep up, oh well.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 04:06 AM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by Kalen Sykes
FreshestSlice, you keep mentioning the setting, when referring to Starkiller's fight against Vader. Are you talking about the lightning rods used in the game, but not in the book?

Sure, both are valid. Especially if we're going to consider Marek shocking an AT-AT into submission valid. But more importantly, Kamino is an optimal setting to attack someone vulnerable to Lightning, especially considering the constant raining.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 04:10 AM
ares834

It's a lowballing... You're judging Vader's lightsaber skills based on one of his worst (low) showings. That's what lowballing means.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 04:10 AM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

How exactly is it one of his worst showings when he was losing to Maul just after? Could it possibly be that Vader just wasn't near his prime?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 04:11 AM
Kalen Sykes

Sure, both are valid. Especially if we're going to consider Marek shocking an AT-AT into submission valid. But more importantly, Kamino is an optimal setting to attack someone vulnerable to Lightning, especially considering the constant raining.

I'm not disputing that part, but the lightning rods, not being in the novelization provides an inconsistency. In the novel, Starkiller used Force lightning and disarmed Vader, to win the fight.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 04:14 AM
ares834

How exactly is it one of his worst showings when he was losing to Maul just after? Could it possibly be that Vader just wasn't near his prime?

It's one of his worst showings because it's one of his worst showings. no expression

Hell, he was initially besting Maul until Maul used two sabers and, of course, Maul is a better swordsman than Old Ben. Then, there are Vader's other saber feats from stories set before ANH that shows his great skill (well in excess of what he displayed in ANH).

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 04:17 AM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Lol. I wonder which user he's gonna imitate in his user name next. After this one gets banned I mean.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 02:16 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

Can someone actually list some feats and quotes (something specific) regarding The Wrath's skill with a blade? Then maybe some force feats, if that's not too hard? You guys are too hung up on how Vader's fight with Kenobi was displayed in ANH, which using that logic, Sidious is in the same boat. The fact that Kenobi managed to last a while against Vader, speaks very well for his skill in defense. After all, Kenobi was never the most aggressive fighter anyway, and he would only need superfast reflexes/reaction speed to match Vader's striking speed and a proper defense. That's not a low saber showing for Vader, it's a very good one for old Kenobi. I get it, though, not too many force users can match Vader in skill (highly sufficient in all saber forms enough to incorporate them in his own unique style, and taking on and defeating other skilled duelists) and raw power (crushing tie fighters with a gesture, throwing several ton vehicles and/or starships, etc...), so the best thing to do is keep quiet on the TOR era characters, and attack the PT era's character in an attempt to nitpick at and diminish certain feats. That's pretty much how debates have been going on around here, and it's getting a bit weak. Vader has shown tremendous raw power out side of TFU novels, so there's no reason to assume that the main character of said novels is an exaggerated one.

Also for those of you who keep on bringing up why 'such and such' characters were unable to beat 'so and so,' who weren't shown to do 'this and that,' might I just remind everyone that TOR's most dominate force user (who is actually a very clumsy and [apparently] blind old man who runs into sabers) is lacking in actual combat showings. I mean, his best is good, but not overwhelmingly so.

Last edited by Dominis on Jul 20th, 2014 at 03:01 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 02:57 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I actually did a fighting style analysis for both Vader and Old Ben

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jul 20th, 2014 03:00 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote