KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » God's omnipotence

God's omnipotence
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It's actually the worst argent for God not being omnipotence that I have ever seen.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 08:10 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I just asked you a question. A question in no way ever putting words into persons mouth.
you said it was my idea. You put words in my mouth, but, thats okay. You can do that, i can point it out.

It is a very silly argument. It assumes sense everyone is not happy, that an omnipotent God cannot be omnipotent.
in your opinion its silly, in mine its a topic for conversation so, in my opinion one of is wasting his time over a silly argument, and, it aint me.

Are YOU assuming everyone IS happy? Just asking; dont want to put words in your mouth.

What if God doesn't want everyone happy? Now the argument falls apart.
is that question rhetorical? Not personally knowing any gods, any opinions i have on their actions is speculation on my part. Arent yours?
So no, i dont think the argument falls apart at all.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 08:13 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It's actually the worst argent for God not being omnipotence that I have ever seen.

That is, to me, a perfectly valid opinion.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 08:15 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by riv6672
you said it was my idea. You put words in my mouth, but, thats okay. You can do that, i can point it out.

It was a question. I didn’t realize that you disliked the idea so badly that you would take office by someone assuming that you agreed with a thread that you started.
in your opinion its silly, in mine its a topic for conversation so, in my opinion one of is wasting his time over a silly argument, and, it aint me.

Not once have you talked about the topic. All you have done was be hostel.
Are YOU assuming everyone IS happy? Just asking; dont want to put words in your mouth.

No I am not assuming everyone IS happy. Now I didn’t make the thread, nor did I ever support the idea that everyone IS happy. On the contrary, most people are not happy from time to time. What does happiness have to do with an omnipotent God?
is that question rhetorical? Not personally knowing any gods, any opinions i have on their actions is speculation on my part. Arent yours?

It was a question that pointed out the illogic to the idea that everyone not being happy means that god is not omnipotent.
Aren’t mine what?
So no, i dont think the argument falls apart at all.

Please explain why.

Last edited by Shakyamunison on Nov 1st, 2014 at 08:40 PM

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 08:27 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

That is, to me, a perfectly valid opinion.

Then explain why it is a perfectly valid opinion. In other words, put up or shut up.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 08:28 PM
riv6672

Haha, man you are one argumentative SOB.
Thanks for for being true to form and helping me turn this thread into one giant waste of time. thumb up

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 11:03 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Haha, man you are one argumentative SOB.
Thanks for for being true to form and helping me turn this thread into one giant waste of time. thumb up

From the very beginning you were the ass.

How you know? You arent omnipotent.

So you say. You arent omnipotent.

How would i know i'm not omnipotent.

It doesnt take onnipotence to fixate on one word in someone's post and try and sound smart either. stick out tongue

I guess i cant make everyone happy. wink

Oh puh-lease, i'm not God. At most a minor deity. laughing out loud

So when I tried to meet you half way, you did this:

It wasnt my idea.
I also said it was, to me, a perfectly valid argument.

I can think an argument is perfectly valid and not agree with it. I never made my actual opinion on the argument known.
So basically, stop putting words in my mouth yo. wink

So, don't give me this "you are such an SOB" crap!

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 11:12 PM
riv6672

So...you ARENT seeing this as funny.

Well, thank you for the multiple posts on the topic you didnt think much of anyway.
AND the quick response.
Sorry i had you wait 2 1/2 hours for you to respond in under 10 minutes. Had to download wood for my tree house. smile

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 11:18 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

So...you ARENT seeing this as funny.

Well, thank you for the multiple posts on the topic you didnt think much of anyway.
AND the quick response.
Sorry i had you wait 2 1/2 hours for you to respond in under 10 minutes. Had to download wood for my tree house. smile

I look forward to your next thread!

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 11:38 PM
dyajeep

Re: God's omnipotence

Got me thinking of God's omnipotence. Googled away, and found a, to me, perfectly valid argument as to why he's not.

He cant please everybody.

in the Bible, although God is "almighty" in a sense that He is the most powerful being, the supreme being - He is NOT "omnipotent" in a sense that there are things He cannot do...

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 01:15 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I look forward to your next thread!
i do too!

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 07:33 AM
riv6672

Re: Re: God's omnipotence

Originally posted by dyajeep
in the Bible, although God is "almighty" in a sense that He is the most powerful being, the supreme being - He is NOT "omnipotent" in a sense that there are things He cannot do...

Great, GREAT point.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 07:35 AM
dadudemon

Re: Re: God's omnipotence

Originally posted by dyajeep

Indeed. For instance, any covenant He made, ever. He is bound by the covenant for as long as the other end of the covenant is upheld.

I had this argument as a kid in Sunday School. Most people create logical problems or God's omnipotence due to a willful lack of understanding of what his omnipotence is. His omnipotence is great for anything He wants to do but not everything we want him to do.

Limited Omnipotence makes more sense. God will operate, omnipotently, in a specific area of operation. There are areas he will not dabble in. I think some Christians have justified God's ability to do literally anything by His indirect influences...such as Lucifer and humans. God can, indirectly, be truly omnipotent that way.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 07:58 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

also, the Bible really states some things God cannot do, for example:

"In hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began,"
Titus 1:2

"That by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us."
Hebrews 6:18

God cannot lie...

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."
James 1:17

God cannot change His being...

"If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself."
II Timothy 2:13

God cannot deny Himself...

God does not even know everything... in the same logic that He's not omnipotent but almighty, He is also not omniscient nor omnipresent...

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 11:44 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Appreciate the great posts, guys!

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 11:52 AM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: God's omnipotence

I posted in the Christianity Symbolism thread yesterday about an early church experience.
Got me thinking of God's omnipotence. Googled away, and found a, to me, perfectly valid argument as to why he's not.

He cant please everybody.

Mind linking the article.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 11:54 AM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

http://books.google.com/books?id=My...dq=even+god+can't+please+everyone&source=bl&ots=ptaFu-GxMJ&sig=jde6COt21VNJ4yEcu61vjxtlcUk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=px9WVLnMAquQigKUq4HoAg&ved=0CD4Q6AEwCg

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 12:16 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Where is it talking about his omnipotence?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 12:19 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I googled omnipotence and this was one of the results. I can see why it would come up.
If you dont agree with me on that, lets not drag it out for a page and a half, please. I already did that here yesterday...wink

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 12:30 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

I googled omnipotence and this was one of the results. I can see why it would come up.
If you dont agree with me on that, lets not drag it out for a page and a half, please. I already did that here yesterday...wink

Im just not seeing what text you are talking about from that ebook, can you copy paste here?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 12:32 PM