KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » God's omnipotence

God's omnipotence
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

I'm on a phone, and its not highlighting.
It just talks about how Jesus knew everyone couldnt-shouldnt be pleased. "Woe to you when all men speak well of you".
Its page 183 on the ebook. The link takes me to it.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 12:40 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh ok, I see it. No he can't please everyone, that would infringe on free will that he gave us, but since we are all different, what makes some happy might make other sad.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 12:42 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Yup.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 12:44 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Yup.

So he limits his omnipotence in some cases to favor his decisions for mankind. With great power comes great responsibilitysmile

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 12:46 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQ6ZC8EUQ0

Here's a good example of the other side not being omnipotent, either (or too potent for their own good). Love this story.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 12:51 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by dyajeep
also, the Bible really states some things God cannot do, for example:

"In hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began,"
Titus 1:2

"That by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us."
Hebrews 6:18

God cannot lie...

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."
James 1:17

God cannot change His being...

"If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself."
II Timothy 2:13

God cannot deny Himself...

God does not even know everything... in the same logic that He's not omnipotent but almighty, He is also not omniscient nor omnipresent...

You could read those three aspects as the very same thing. The first would be the quality of perfect creation, whatever is said by the divinity inmediately is hence, it cannot be considered false as its becoming true by the statement itself (performative speech). With language as an effective action, a rebuttal of divinty would be entirely impossible. Since there are no possible rebuttals, there cannot be an absence either so transformation is also separated from the divine essence.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 01:20 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Oh ok, I see it. No he can't please everyone, that would infringe on free will that he gave us, but since we are all different, what makes some happy might make other sad.

Yes, happiness is relative. Therefore, the fact the everyone is not happy is not a valid argument against God's omnipotence. wink

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 05:17 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Yes, happiness is relative. Therefore, the fact the everyone is not happy is not a valid argument against God's omnipotence. wink

I'm not arguing against his omnipotence.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 05:35 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I'm not arguing against his omnipotence.

That's not the point, my friend. Out of all the arguments against God's omnipotence, this one:

I posted in the Christianity Symbolism thread yesterday about an early church experience.
Got me thinking of God's omnipotence. Googled away, and found a, to me, perfectly valid argument as to why he's not.

He cant please everybody.

...is the worst of all. Do you disagree?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 05:39 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's not the point, my friend. Out of all the arguments against God's omnipotence, this one:

...is the worst of all. Do you disagree?

Oh yes, I disagree with that one. I was just trying to understand where he was coming from.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 05:51 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Oh yes, I disagree with that one. I was just trying to understand where he was coming from.

Somethings are just mysteries.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 05:54 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Somethings are just mysteries.

Why do you believe there is no God? I think you told me but I forgot.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 06:06 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Why do you believe there is no God? I think you told me but I forgot.

I am not an Atheist. I simply believe that the Christian god is man made just like the Greek and Egyptian gods it was derived from. God cannot be written in a book, is what I believe.

Edit (That's Egyptian, not Encryption) lol

Last edited by Shakyamunison on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 06:12 PM

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 06:07 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am not an Atheist. I simply believe that the Christian god is man made just like the Greek and Encryption gods it was derived from. God cannot be written in a book, is what I believe.

Oh cool, Im glad your not Atheist.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 06:10 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by dyajeep
also, the Bible really states some things God cannot do, for example:

"In hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began,"
Titus 1:2

"That by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us."
Hebrews 6:18

God cannot lie...

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."
James 1:17

God cannot change His being...

"If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself."
II Timothy 2:13

God cannot deny Himself...

God does not even know everything... in the same logic that He's not omnipotent but almighty, He is also not omniscient nor omnipresent...

This is a great post.

Here's why: I'm an arrogant bastard, at times, and your post perfectly validates my point about God having limited Omnipotence.

Yup, I'm an arrogant bastard, this time. sad

Originally posted by Bentley
You could read those three aspects as the very same thing. The first would be the quality of perfect creation, whatever is said by the divinity inmediately is hence, it cannot be considered false as its becoming true by the statement itself (performative speech). With language as an effective action, a rebuttal of divinty would be entirely impossible. Since there are no possible rebuttals, there cannot be an absence either so transformation is also separated from the divine essence.

Oh, yeah, that's probably true, as well. If He uttered a lie, it would become instantly true because He's omnipotent. So, yeah, I see the logical construct you just designed, here. Quite clever, sir.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2014 07:38 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Well shaky comes from the land if " i like to argue will pretend i dont care about the subject but will go at it for a page and a half anyway". laughing out loud

I've made enough threads here for everyone to know i just like starting conversations. Doesnt mean i endorse the viewpoints, i just think they'll get people talking, getting their differing opinion freak on.
In shaky's case he can get his fixate and not let it go freak on. And i can get my lets see how many times i can get this guy to post freak on. thumb up

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2014 04:30 AM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well shaky comes from the land if " i like to argue will pretend i dont care about the subject but will go at it for a page and a half anyway". laughing out loud

I've made enough threads here for everyone to know i just like starting conversations. Doesnt mean i endorse the viewpoints, i just think they'll get people talking, getting their differing opinion freak on.
In shaky's case he can get his fixate and not let it go freak on. And i can get my lets see how many times i can get this guy to post freak on. thumb up

Feel free, I like your threads, I like debates.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2014 04:55 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

How you know? You arent omnipotent.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2014 04:59 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Feel free, I like your threads, I like debates.

He can't debate you. You'd stomp him into the ground. laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2014 05:00 AM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

He can't debate you. You'd stomp him into the ground. laughing out loud

big grin

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2014 05:07 AM