KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Mace Windu vs Anakin Skywalker

Mace Windu vs Anakin Skywalker
Started by: WildBantha88

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arhael
Devoid of reality

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Marco1907
Do you really believe that shit.... ?

Gillard talks nonsense in there tbh, he also said ''Obi and Anakin just match each other PERFECTLY.''

All people need to ignore Gillard's rankings on Anakin's power level. Lucas already explained Anakin was not on the same level with the Emperor, Yoda and Mace.

Those are Lucas rankings, Gillard did not invent them. The only nonsense is you dismissing it.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 03:28 PM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marco1907
Great Sith Lord

Originally posted by Arhael
Those are Lucas rankings, Gillard did not invent them. The only nonsense is you dismissing it.

And why Lucas didn't add Anakin here ;

quote:
"You have to be either Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor," Lucas says. "If Anakin hadn't got all beat up, he could've beat the Emperor."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 204

Gillard contradict himself about Anakin, his statement means nothing.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 03:31 PM
Click here to Send Marco1907 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco1907 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Except Anakin is explicitly mentioned in the quote you provided.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 03:32 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marco1907
Great Sith Lord

Originally posted by NewGuy01

Yes, that's why Lucas said it was too early for Anakin to challange the Emperor.

quote:
''If Anakin hadn't got all beat up, he could've beat the Emperor."

In RotS , Mace and Yoda were capable of doing such a thing, not Anakin.

Last edited by Marco1907 on Nov 11th, 2014 at 03:37 PM

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 03:34 PM
Click here to Send Marco1907 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco1907 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I'm not saying Dooku wasn't a 9. Just that he wasn't mentioned.

But to be honest, I think both ROTS Anakin and Windu are "stronger" duellists than Dooku. But I've always maintained that Dooku is one of the top elite in terms of combat skill and could comfortably stalemate Windu if he just fights defensively.

If he tries to overpower Windu however I see Windu's superior strength giving him the win.

Except its explicitly stated that Dooku regularly whooped Mace when they dueled.

The North Remembers

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 03:47 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marco1907
Great Sith Lord

Except that was way before Mace's prime, probably Mace wasn't even on the Jedi Council when that happened.

-Dooku's age ; 80

-Mace's age ; 50

And Mace's sparring match performances against his jedi friends are not really good, he seems equal with Saesee Tiin, and he was holding back against Sora and even against Quinlan Vos, on the other hand Dooku was very competitive in sparring matches unlike Mace is.

Last edited by Marco1907 on Nov 11th, 2014 at 03:56 PM

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 03:50 PM
Marco1907
Great Sith Lord

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 03:58 PM
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Except that was way before Mace's prime, probably Mace wasn't even on the Jedi Council when that happened.

-Dooku's age ; 80

-Mace's age ; 50

And Mace's sparring match performances against his jedi friends are not really good, he seems equal with Saesee Tiin, and he was holding back against Sora and even against Quinlan Vos, on the other hand Dooku was very competitive in sparring matches unlike Mace is.

"Master Windu himself remained perfectly balanced and centered. In the history of the Jedi Order, only two opponents ever overcame him in battle. One was Master Yoda, who some said was the Order's true master of lightsaber combat. The other was former Master Dooku, whose own fighting style was archaic, yet stunningly effective."

Dooku was still an active member of the Order in TPM. There's no proof Mace improved from his 40s into his 50s. If anything Dooku would have been stronger in his 60s.

"The Count's blade was quick as a viper striking. Among the other Jedi, perhaps only Mace Windu would have been his equal on neutral ground: but here on Vjun, steeped in the dark side, his bladework was malice made visible—wickedness cut in red light."

*PERHAPS*

Dooku>/=Mace

The North Remembers

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 04:11 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marco1907
Great Sith Lord

@Lord Stark

When do you think Mace and Dooku were sparring each other ? Dooku already lost his interest to Jedi Order even before TPM, their sparring matches should be at least 10 years before TPM imho.

Still we don't know the exact time when they ''sparred each other'' still sparring means a little, unless you do really think Saesee Tiin = Mace Windu

Not to mention I have sparring examples between Obi-Wan and Anakin in TCW, I could use them for backing up my point here, (Anakin = Obi-Wan) but I will not use it.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 04:15 PM
Arhael
Devoid of reality

In RotS , Mace and Yoda were capable of doing such a thing, not Anakin.

You are not a deciding body here.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 04:26 PM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marco1907
Great Sith Lord

Well, I know one thing now, we should consider ''balance'' in these debates from now on, clearly Obi-Wan was not faster and stronger than Anakin but he still won in the end. RotS Novel implies that he won because of the ''balance''.

Now I remember, a ''balance'' lesson from Master Windu.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 12th, 2014 12:43 AM
Darth Thor

Lucas already explained Anakin was not on the same level with the Emperor, Yoda and Mace.

No he didn't. On the contrary it was Lucas who wanted Anakin to overpower even more powerful force users than Yoda and Sidious.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2014 01:44 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by NewGuy01

thumb up

People tend to ignore that part, and usually even omit it.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2014 01:48 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marco1907
Great Sith Lord

No he didn't. On the contrary it was Lucas who wanted Anakin to overpower even more powerful force users than Yoda and Sidious.

That was future talking of Lucas, if ''Anakin hadn't got all beat up'' clearly his lost against Obi-Wan was fair and square, but if he hadn't got all beat up, he could be more powerful than he was in RotS, only then he could defeat the Emperor, in RotS, you need to be Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor, RotS Anakin was not on that level yet, that is why he lost to Obi-Wan, and even Yoda anticipated that Kenobi could defeat RotS Anakin,

--- Revenge of the Sith Comic Book

quote:
Yoda : Destroy you I will, just as your apprentice, Master Kenobi will destroy !

quote:
Yoda : Powerful enough to destroy the Emperor, you are not.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2014 12:42 PM
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

@Lord Stark

When do you think Mace and Dooku were sparring each other ? Dooku already lost his interest to Jedi Order even before TPM, their sparring matches should be at least 10 years before TPM imho.

Lol no. Dooku and Mace were friends up until the very end. And also the fact that Yoda is mentioned in the exact same ****ing quote suggests that it was more than a mere sparring session.

quote:

Still we don't know the exact time when they ''sparred each other'' still sparring means a little, unless you do really think Saesee Tiin = Mace Windu

Strawman.
"Master Windu himself remained perfectly balanced and centered. In the history of the Jedi Order, only two opponents ever overcame him in battle. One was Master Yoda, who some said was the Order's true master of lightsaber combat. The other was former Master Dooku, whose own fighting style was archaic, yet stunningly effective."

It was not mere sparring.

quote:

Not to mention I have sparring examples between Obi-Wan and Anakin in TCW, I could use them for backing up my point here, (Anakin = Obi-Wan) but I will not use it.

This is such a strawman of my argument. I'm not saying because Dooku and Windu sparred, Dooku can fight Windu. I am saying that because its explicitly stated that Dooku beat Windu RIGHT AFTER it says Yoda did is saying something.

Needless to say that if there was a quote that said Mace used to whoop Dooku in sparring sessions you'd be prancing that around these boards.

The North Remembers

Old Post Nov 12th, 2014 02:08 PM
Darth Thor

That was future talking of Lucas, if ''Anakin hadn't got all beat up'' clearly his lost against Obi-Wan was fair and square, but if he hadn't got all beat up, he could be more powerful than he was in RotS, only then he could defeat the Emperor, in RotS, you need to be Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor, RotS Anakin was not on that level yet, that is why he lost to Obi-Wan, and even Yoda anticipated that Kenobi could defeat RotS Anakin,

What future? What time in the future did he specify? He could have meant right after beating Obi-Wan. And even if we assume your interpretation is what he was saying, it is retconned by the Mortis trilogy which came directly from Lucas.

In any case is all irrelevant because Lucas didn't say you have to be Yoda or Sidious to compete with Windu. He never stated it to be an interdependent triangle.

It's Kenobi who could match Anakin due to a Clash Of styles. You insist that Anakin beat Dooku due to a Clash Of Styles (even though it was clear he won because he was simply more powerful than Dooku). But you ignore the more obvious possibility that the clash of styles was between Kenobi and Skywalker whose intimate knowledge of each others moves and styles is mentioned by Gillard and in the ROTS novel.

Soresu also being a defensive form is the perfect tool to tackle a stronger opponent by simply giving more ground.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Nov 12th, 2014 at 02:51 PM

Old Post Nov 12th, 2014 02:49 PM
Marco1907
Great Sith Lord

Originally posted by Lord Stark

It was not mere sparring.

What they did then ? Serious duel to the death ? If not, that is sparring match nonetheless. No different than Saesee Tiin vs. Mace.
If you really believe that Dooku could defeat Windu in a one-on-one, he shouldn't have to escape when they meet in clone wars.

It's Kenobi who could match Anakin due to a Clash Of styles. You insist that Anakin beat Dooku due to a Clash Of Styles (even though it was clear he won because he was simply more powerful than Dooku). But you ignore the more obvious possibility that the clash of styles was between Kenobi and Skywalker whose intimate knowledge of each others moves and styles is mentioned by Gillard and in the ROTS novel.

Soresu also being a defensive form is the perfect tool to tackle a stronger opponent by simply giving more ground.

''His own elegant Makashi simply did not generate the kinetic power to meet Djem So head-to-head.''
--- Revenge of the Sith

What did you understand here ? Or they just put this sentence for nothing.

Soresu x Djem-So doesn't have any loop like this, and you can't prove unlike I just did.

Do you really believe I would just lowball Dooku because I don't like him (which is not true, I like Dooku) or for another reason ? It is simple fact, Dooku has big advantage against the classic styles of Jedi, such as shii-cho, soresu, ataru etc. He can even hold his own against Yoda's superior ataru because of that reason. But on the other he get literally one-shot from Savage's raw kinetic power of strong style / juyo. That is Dooku's loop. He has advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited by Marco1907 on Nov 12th, 2014 at 03:17 PM

Old Post Nov 12th, 2014 03:15 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Mace Windu, IMO.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2014 06:34 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

''His own elegant Makashi simply did not generate the kinetic power to meet Djem So head-to-head.''
--- Revenge of the Sith

What did you understand here ? Or they just put this sentence for nothing.

The meaning of that line is very clear to anyone who actually read the whole passage. It was that Dooku didn't know the form Skywalker was using, so was tackling him in the wrong way upto that point.

But no where in that line did it even suggest it's already over for Dooku due to Djem So's kinetic energy. No where is Makashi said to have a "weakness," to Djem So or to powerful attacks. And at no point was this line related to Skywalker's win over Dooku.

In fact right after that line it's Dooku who floors Skywalker, due to the ONLY actual weakness that IS mentioned, which is Djem So's Lack of Mobility."

Soresu x Djem-So doesn't have any loop like this, and you can't prove unlike I just did.

I didn't say Djem So had a "weakness" to Soresu. Although it's lack of mobility would technically make it weak to Ataro, which Kenobi is also skilled at (his pre-Soresu form).

But Soresu by it's very nature is ideal to deal with Powerful Physical and Force Enhanced Beasts like Skywalker. Kenobi and Skywalker's intimate knowledge of each other's moves is also a factor there according to Nick Gillard, and the ROTS Novel (they spent thousands of hours sparring each other, knew each others moves more intimately than lovers).

Do you really believe I would just lowball Dooku because I don't like him (which is not true, I like Dooku) or for another reason ?

Your intention seems to be to have the Big 3 as Yoda, Sidious and Windu (which a lot of people actually rank that way, so I have no issue with that), but then to have Maul as the next top dog after those 3.

But fact is Dooku is more powerful than Maul, and ROTS Skywalker more powerful than Dooku. So for Maul to be above both of them, you have to give Dooku a weakness to suggest pretty much anyone whose strong and an offensive combatant can take him, and you have to completely deny Skywalker's immense power.

It is simple fact, Dooku has big advantage against the classic styles of Jedi, such as shii-cho, soresu, ataru etc. He can even hold his own against Yoda's superior ataru because of that reason. But on the other he get literally one-shot from Savage's raw kinetic power of strong style / juyo. That is Dooku's loop. He has advantages and disadvantages.

He has a major advantage over Djem So's Lack of Mobility. And Yoda has massive Kinetic energy in his blows (he is the Most Powerful Jedi), yet Dooku fended against his attacks. So your theory and weakness fails here.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Nov 13th, 2014 at 04:06 PM

Old Post Nov 13th, 2014 04:02 PM
Revanchiste

Doku defeat windu barely and it was thank to an advantaged tatical position.
Is makashi were far more superior in term of dueling 1 V.S 1 capacity...

Old Post Nov 13th, 2014 05:03 PM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote