KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Kyle Katarn vs. Ki Adi Mundi

Kyle Katarn vs. Ki Adi Mundi
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

quote:
Nope. In that fight they matched Caedus fairly well. Sure he had the upper hand but he certainly didn't "curb" them. Heck, even Mithric gave Caedus some trouble when he went nuts and started whaling on him. He had to work for that win. Plus he only beat Kyle due to manipulation of the environment (throwing a speeder at his back). Granted that is an example of superior tactical ingenuity but it still required an outside variable. He didn't win by just being a straight-up better duellis

At one point in the fight he fights three of them at once, nearly bifurcates Katarn, sends all of them flying, holds off Valin with one hand, and the text outrights states they're no match for him:

quote:
Katarn ignited his lightsaber as he came to a stop a few meters away.
"Care to surrender, Colonel Solo?"
Not to a traitor." Caedus looked at the other three as their Forceaugmented
sprints came to an end, leaving them in a semicircle before
him. Three Jedi Knights: the younger Horn, the Falleen Mithric, the Bothan
Hu'lya. He resisted the urge to snort. Separately or collectively, these Jedi
Knights were no match for him.

Prior to this Solo is throwing them around with TK, nearly cuts Katarn in half, notes they're interfering with each other and before Katarn goes down:

quote:
They were chasing the Jedi escape vehicle. Caedus swung at Horn, a blow
meant not to connect but to cause the young Jedi to flinch away into the
path of the Falleen, which he did. While they were interfering with each
other
, Caedus gestured at the Bothan Jedi, hurling her toward Katarn.
Katarn hurled his lightsaber off to the side and caught Hu'lya with both
hands, preventing her from falling, prepared to pull her out of harm's way if
Caedus followed through.
Caedus did not. He kept his senses on Katarn's light-saber, and, when it
vectored to fly toward him from the side, he negligently swatted it away
with his own blade.

quote:
Now the three Jedi Knights assailed Solo all-out, a fight they were doomed
to lose. Seha could not save them. Her tasks were accomplished

Also Katarn had help from Qu Rahn when he beat those Jedi, and he had some degree of Swordsmanship training at the imperial academy. So he wasn't going into those duels completely blind, one of those Dark Jedi even accidentally killed themselves with his own blaster. They all also got stomped by Qu Rahn, so they're hardly prizewinning fighters. Katarn doesn't really have much in comparison to Mundi.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 29th, 2015 06:47 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

quote: (post)
Originally posted by carthage
At one point in the fight he fights three of them at once, nearly bifurcates Katarn, sends all of them flying, holds off Valin with one hand, and the text outrights states they're no match for him:

Prior to this Solo is throwing them around with TK, nearly cuts Katarn in half, notes they're interfering with each other and before Katarn goes down:.

I stand correct.

Originally posted by carthage
Also Katarn had help from Qu Rahn when he beat those Jedi, and he had some degree of Swordsmanship training at the imperial academy. So he wasn't going into those duels completely blind, one of those Dark Jedi even accidentally killed themselves with his own blaster. They all also got stomped by Qu Rahn, so they're hardly prizewinning fighters. Katarn doesn't really have much in comparison to Mundi.

And what has Mundi accomplished that makes him so amazing? You keep downplaying Kyle's accomplishments, but what has Mundi actually achieved?

The best he ever did was not get killed by an inexperienced Grievous. Yeah there were a ton of circumstances but let's not kid ourselves that he actually stood a chance, he only survived because the cavalry arrived.

At least Kyle has actually BEAT opponents. Not just Jerec's crew, but tons of Reborn and Shadow Troopers, plus Desann. Call me crazy but I'm more impressed by the guy who has beaten numerous strong opponents than the guy who managed to not die long enough to be rescued against one.

Oh and another thing; Mundi's usual foes on the battlefield were battle droids (the only war machines I know that are programmed to panic and run away or talk back to their commanders). Kyle's were the Yuuzhan Vong.

That says it all.

Last edited by chilled monkey on Mar 29th, 2015 at 04:15 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2015 04:07 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lol @ Grievous being inexperienced. He was already a master swordsman and one of the best hand-to-hand fighters in Star Wars as of Hypori, canonically.

Nobody is saying Mundi stood a chance - that isn't why the feat is impressive. Him lasting so long despite circumstances is what matters. Logically, if he wasn't fatigued, at a form style and prior knowledge disadvantage, and was facing someone less physically insane and unpredictable as Grievous, he would do better. I don't understand the logic of people who think a feat is only a feat if you "win". It's about scale.

Katarn wouldn't stand a chance against Grievous either, for the record. And being compared to Mundi isn't really a bad thing.

Probably falling on deaf ears but eh, I'm bored.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2015 04:13 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by chilled monkey
Oh and another thing; Mundi's usual foes on the battlefield were battle droids (the only war machines I know that are programmed to panic and run away or talk back to their commanders). Kyle's were the Yuuzhan Vong.
That logic is completely hideous. Are you implying that fighting battle droids is within the upper limits of Mundi's combative abilities? Just because that's what he happened to be fighting a lot of the time?

But, anyway, since we're on this topic, let's make a comparison. Maul killed a Yuuzhan Vong in his first ever encounter with one, with suppressed Force augmentation, within a couple of minutes. Now Mundi is no Maul, but if Grievous couldn't stomp him with the aforementioned circumstances, Maul isn't coming close to stomping a fresh Mundi. So, having said that, you need only imagine what a fresh Maul would do to a Vong in saber combat, and by proxy what Mundi would manage. When you're done with that, it's probably not hard to imagine Mundi and some of the other better fighters from prior eras doing well against them. The main issue with Vong is their lack of connection to the Force, and physical power. Get over the former, and your skill with a blade should handle the latter just fine.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2015 04:21 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Originally posted by ILS
That logic is completely hideous. Are you implying that fighting battle droids is within the upper limits of Mundi's combative abilities? Just because that's what he happened to be fighting a lot of the time?

But, anyway, since we're on this topic, let's make a comparison. Maul killed a Yuuzhan Vong in his first ever encounter with one, with suppressed Force augmentation, within a couple of minutes. Now Mundi is no Maul, but if Grievous couldn't stomp him with the aforementioned circumstances, Maul isn't coming close to stomping a fresh Mundi. So, having said that, you need only imagine what a fresh Maul would do to a Vong in saber combat, and by proxy what Mundi would manage. When you're done with that, it's probably not hard to imagine Mundi and some of the other better fighters from prior eras doing well against them. The main issue with Vong is their lack of connection to the Force, and physical power. Get over the former, and your skill with a blade should handle the latter just fine.

Nope. The PT-era Jedi would get slaughtered by the Yuuzhan Vong.

The PT-era Jedi were too stodgy, narrow-minded and inflexible. Against a foe as unorthodox and unusual as the Yuuzhan Vong they wouldn't stand a chance. Maul was able to beat one because the Sith of his era had learned and adapted. Even Yoda admitted that the Jedi had failed to do the same.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 01:16 AM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Kyle solidly.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 02:11 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Katarn shortens Mundi's head several inches.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2015 03:19 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote