KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Kenobi vs Maul: How Did It Happen?

Kenobi vs Maul: How Did It Happen?
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (20): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Yeah but there wasn't really any fight to enjoy. It was too short. The enjoyable bits were the exchange of words between them, but there was nothing to the fight itself Imho, except "hey look how much better Obi-Wan is than Maul.."

Given the promotion and build up to it, I was very disappointed. If you look at their fights in TCW, Obi-Wan looked like the better combatant, but it was still always a great back and forth fight. So this being their final and ultimate confrontation was a big let down to me personally. Give me TCW over Rebels any day.

Obi-Wan simply improved, while Maul didn't. Maul stayed a 7 or 8 but Obi-Wan might be now on Yoda/Sidious level. Who knows.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 11:48 AM
Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Maul was an 8 in TPM as per Gillard.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 11:51 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
Obi-Wan simply improved, while Maul didn't.

That's fine, but they can still have a fight. Look at Yoda vs Dooku.

but Obi-Wan might be now on Yoda/Sidious level. Who knows.

More like Dooku/Mace level I'd say.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 01:13 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Obi-Wan simply improved, while Maul didn't. Maul stayed a 7 or 8 but Obi-Wan might be now on Yoda/Sidious level. Who knows.
Maul was lost while Kenobi knew exactly who he was in the moment. That's all. It's saying psyches don't matter. Watch Rocky three. He gets crushed by Lang but when his psyche is off. When he gets his mojo back he wins. Maul was also well past his physical apex. Try actually understanding what is occurring before you utter more nonsense.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 01:49 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Yeah but there wasn't really any fight to enjoy. It was too short. The enjoyable bits were the exchange of words between them, but there was nothing to the fight itself Imho, except "hey look how much better Obi-Wan is than Maul.."

Given the promotion and build up to it, I was very disappointed. If you look at their fights in TCW, Obi-Wan looked like the better combatant, but it was still always a great back and forth fight. So this being their final and ultimate confrontation was a big let down to me personally. Give me TCW over Rebels any day.
Another fanboy response who wanted more of the same, we have seen long saber duels between the two more than any other two duelists of star wars off the top of my head. I love the difference and the explanation. Duration of a fight does not denote skill. They fought it mentally and master swordsman duels aren't long. The tension was palpable and this was different. Maul was broken whereas Kenobi knew exactly who he was and fought for something bigger than himself. Both past their primes I accept what was shown and enjoy the difference. It worked. It's about the story, emotion, and tension not just fanboy drawn out duels. laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 01:54 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

To me, the unexpected quickness and samurai-esque clash was welcome. Just a matter of taste.

There I agree, TCW is the superior cartoon of the two. thumb up

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 04:02 PM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

That's fine, but they can still have a fight. Look at Yoda vs Dooku.

More like Dooku/Mace level I'd say.

Dooku might be skillwise on almost the same level as Yoda and Sidious, yet lacks (though very powerful) their depth in the force.

Kenobi was above Maul, more so than Yoda was above Dooku. Sans this Yoda took it easy on Dooku, as he was his apprentice once.

Maul is good, as fine as some of the best Jedi Knights, but he is not on the level of Masters like Dooku, Yoda, Sidious and obviously Kenobi. This was portrayed by the duel quite good.

I wonder how Kenobi vs Darth Vader would have went if Kenobi wouldn't give Vader the killing blow.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 04:43 PM
Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Omg, who would've expected Quanchi to be in denial over Ben's utter ownage of Maul? Probably nobody. smile

Anyway, Quan. Sure, your psychological state matters when fighting any opponent, especially if said opponent is the reason of your unstable state of mind. You had ROTS Vader vs. ROTS Kenobi, when both were broken while fighting. You have ROTJ Vader vs. ROTJ Luke. They were also mentally broken whilst fighting, for obvious reasons. Yet, those two fights are considered epic, as all combatants go blow-for-blow [or at least close to it].

Ben Kenobi beat Maul down in literally three strikes, bro. I don't give a shit how 'lost' he was, that was outright pathetic.

At this point, I'm seriously simply amused at your max level denial regarding Maul's position in the mythos, tbh.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:06 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Maul died an heroic death, I won't tolerate this disrespect.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:09 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cs_zoltan

Yeah, seeking out Kenobi was definitely equal to an heroing.

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:12 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

thumb up

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:15 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Petrus
Omg, who would've expected Quanchi to be in denial over Ben's utter ownage of Maul? Probably nobody. smile

Anyway, Quan. Sure, your psychological state matters when fighting any opponent, especially if said opponent is the reason of your unstable state of mind. You had ROTS Vader vs. ROTS Kenobi, when both were broken while fighting. You have ROTJ Vader vs. ROTJ Luke. They were also mentally broken whilst fighting, for obvious reasons. Yet, those two fights are considered epic, as all combatants go blow-for-blow [or at least close to it].

Ben Kenobi beat Maul down in literally three strikes, bro. I don't give a shit how 'lost' he was, that was outright pathetic.

At this point, I'm seriously simply amused at your max level denial regarding Maul's position in the mythos, tbh.
The creators disagree and have already laid out the reasons. You're in denial and are young and probably just want more of the same a long drawn out battle with sabers. That's been done to death with these two. Duration of combat doesn't necessarily denote greater skill especially in light of the fact the creators have laid out the reasons for this duel.

Difference is Maul is well past his prime. Kenobi knew who he was in the moment and Maul was broken and a lost person at the time of the duel.

When did any creator state both were broken and lost. Anakin became Vader and was at his physical apex. Kenobi was heartbroken his former pupil turned on the very order they both were a part of but knew what he needed to do. When the time came Kenobi cleaved body parts off the idiotic Vader.

You don't have the maturity to grasp the factors that go into a master duel and just want to see a lot of strikes and defenses. Thankfully no one as immature as yourself will ever create a Star Wars fight because you're too limited in your education regarding the multiple avenues of how to achieve maximum tension.

You cannot deny the creators who wrote the fight. I get it that you're ignorant but you only hurt your own credibility and no one else's.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:19 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Yeah, seeking out Kenobi was definitely equal to an heroing.
Immaturity and a lack of comprehension are at play here on your behalf. To be expected.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:21 PM
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Originally posted by quanchi112
The creators disagree and have already laid out the reasons. You're in denial and are young and probably just want more of the same a long drawn out battle with sabers. That's been done to death with these two. Duration of combat doesn't necessarily denote greater skill especially in light of the fact the creators have laid out the reasons for this duel.

Difference is Maul is well past his prime. Kenobi knew who he was in the moment and Maul was broken and a lost person at the time of the duel.

When did any creator state both were broken and lost. Anakin became Vader and was at his physical apex. Kenobi was heartbroken his former pupil turned on the very order they both were a part of but knew what he needed to do. When the time came Kenobi cleaved body parts off the idiotic Vader.

You don't have the maturity to grasp the factors that go into a master duel and just want to see a lot of strikes and defenses. Thankfully no one as immature as yourself will ever create a Star Wars fight because you're too limited in your education regarding the multiple avenues of how to achieve maximum tension.

You cannot deny the creators who wrote the fight. I get it that you're ignorant but you only hurt your own credibility and no one else's.

laughing It's truly unbelievable how you literally cherry-pick and use arguments out of sheer convenience to use in favour of Maul.

It's one excuse after another with you.

And the creators don't disagree at all. They stated one character evolved/progressed while the other stayed behind/in the past. That's stating Ben Kenobi >> Maul, which they made clear in the series.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:24 PM
quanchi112
Disney

laughing It's truly unbelievable how you literally cherry-pick and use arguments out of sheer convenience to use in favour of Maul.

It's one excuse after another with you.

And the creators don't disagree at all. They stated one character evolved/progressed while the other stayed behind/in the past. That's stating Ben Kenobi >> Maul, which they made clear in the series.
I am citing the very reasoning from the guys who created the scene. You're just saying there moves omg I mean come on. Quit ignoring their clearly detailed and explained reasoning.

It highlights the difference between the Sith and the Jedi. Kenobi moved forward Maul did not. That's what makes Maul great. He doesn't let anything go which is the hallmark of greatness. Jordan was the same way. Great athletes have a permanent chip on their shoulder. You can pretend this isn't the case but it's clearly supported. Kenobi is someone who is healthier mentally but he knew who he was. Maul was lost and searching for purpose so he channeled his hatred onto Kenobi.

Kenobi in that moment at Maul's weakest moment won. Maul is far past his prime and in no way wasn't this a duel between master swordsman. The creators were clear and went about it in a different avenue which I enjoy since they've had long duels before.

I am simply going with the evidence and being logical you're being immature and focusing on the number of strikes while ignoring their mental states.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:33 PM
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Lmao. We both know that if the tables were turned, you'd be shitting on Kenobi and Vader at this very moment, saying how pathetic they are and how far above them Maul is.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:36 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Lmao. We both know that if the tables were turned, you'd be shitting on Kenobi and Vader at this very moment, saying how pathetic they are and how far above them Maul is.
No, since both were past their primes. Hell, the entire era of the ot only saw one Jedi in his prime, Luke. Vader, Sidious, and Kenobi were all past their best. They were wiser but we're all past their best.

Maul went on as a true Sith. Both characters perfectly embodied their opposing philosophies. I have a chip on my shoulder as Maul does. Love it.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:40 PM
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Yes. Convenient arguments, Quan.

You're like Lois from Malcolm in the Middle, never giving up even after the war is lost.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:42 PM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Maul wasn't a Sith by Rebels. And a Sith doesn't speak of himself and his enemy as one on his deathbed. erm

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:43 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by SunRazer
Maul wasn't a Sith by Rebels. And a Sith doesn't speak of himself and his enemy as one on his deathbed. erm

Filoni hopes the duel, and the moments after, are the perfect representation of one of the most important conflicts in all of Star Wars.

“It really is to express the difference between the Jedi and the Sith. Which is the Jedi become selfless and the Sith remain selfish. When pressed, because Obi-Wan is protecting someone else in the end, he does fight. But because he is so true and knows who he is in that moment, you can’t defeat that. So Obi-Wan is going to strike down Maul because Maul is such a broken and lost person.

You don't get what the scene means, you're a joke, sunrazer.

Maul embodied the Sith whereas Kenobi embodied the Jedi in this battle. It's plain as day but since you're too dumb to get it I provided the quote. Yw, dummy.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 06:49 PM