KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Little Known Facts ...

Little Known Facts ...
Started by: bluewaterrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

quote:
If you feel that way about Slade, something tells me you two are going to find the following a bit ... challenging ... to say the least:

Seduction of the innocent, indeed.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2018 04:10 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I make it a point not to read almost any precrisis Superman stuff bar like, say, the Alan Moore one-shots. Shit like that is why. It's just ludicrous.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2018 05:13 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^i grew up on those books, but couldnt read them now if i tried. Thet did not age well.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2018 10:26 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta1938
True King of House of El

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
Up until the Crisis, Mr. Miracle was on Superman and Barda's level physically. In fact, he defeated Barda in a h2h fight (Although Barda wasn't in her right mind.)

Obviously, he's been depowered to Spidey level, give or take. Which kind of doesn't add up, when you consider all other New Gods are high end bricks, yet Scott isn't..

Genuinely asking where you get this. I've read almost all of MISTER MIRACLE under Kirby and Scott didn't show anything like that during those comics. He arguably was stronger and faster than human, but not clearly. Have the Barda fight or reference? I have not seen that.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2018 10:38 AM
Delta1938 is currently offline Click here to Send Delta1938 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta1938 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Delta1938
Genuinely asking where you get this. I've read almost all of MISTER MIRACLE under Kirby and Scott didn't show anything like that during those comics. He arguably was stronger and faster than human, but not clearly. Have the Barda fight or reference? I have not seen that.

I found this:

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jul 4th, 2018 10:49 AM
riv6672

A statue was erected in Astro City to its fallen hero, The Silver Agent, in 1979, 6 years after he passed.
The plaque, which reads ‘to our eternal shame’ was added after another 6 years, in 1985.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2018 12:54 PM
Delta1938
True King of House of El

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Every so often I actually get the attention of and interact with storied people.

I remember to this day Kurt Busiek surprising me by responding to a thread in which I shared an article on why Comics disappeared from newsstands and being literally very near everywhere newsprint was sold, to gradually becoming a niche item sold in specialty shops only (and now of course, the Internet where it's become or becoming big again). The author of that article made the surprising case that keeping the price of comics LOW, and thus theoretically more affordable for everyone, actually led to the decline. Reason was, from the perspective of a retailer who has limited shelf space, it made more sense to stock, say, Time or Life Magazine, which you could sell for at least a dollar a book versus Superman 132 or whatever, which gained you perhaps s quarter or so per sale, but used 4 times the space and often left you with a ton of overstock to recycle or throwaway.

Kurt also had an interesting perspective to share on why publishing rights are a big deal to Marvel and DC but not libraries.

I remember a while back I was in an argument over something in JLA/AVENGERS (actually no, not Superman vs Thor laughing ) and went to Busiek's site and emailed him through it. To my surprise he gave a quick response (like about 10 minutes). I know he at least used to be active on message boards(I do believe the DC boards when they were around, and I've seen him on other boards but not sure if it was verified to be him or not, but at least once mods at least believed, so maybe), so he doesn't really have issues with interacting with fans.

quote:
Originally posted by bluewaterrider Joking aside, if you look on that webpage, though it breaks down data mined from literal thousands of participants, it conspicuously notes, after calling KMC a "trustworthy site with mostly negative reviews", iirc ...

... exactly ONE down vote in its visual thumbs up/thumbs down section.

If, as I suspect, they LITERALLY based worldweb judgement of KMC on that lone review, Abhilegend representing India might not be QUITE as improbable as we're all imagining ...

It gives the home page, I think it's possible that has more views than the forum. It could be the site has such negative reviews because it hasn't updated in over 6 years.

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
[B]Back to J'onnz.

DC seems to have realized that MM having the ability to grow bigger and stronger might prove TOO Deus Ex Machina to create plausible tension in a story after awhile. Who could stand against him?

So it seems they QUIETLY began imposing limits on J'onnz.

Note that, by the time the 9th issue of that series rolled around, J'onnz was complaining about the stress of changing the proportion of his "Martian mass" for "Earth mass", whatever that means, even though J'onnz had substituted a literal skyscraper's worth just 7 issues prior.

Note that they impose no such limitations on J'onnz's green Martian counterpart, Malefic, however:

From what I recall, the issue was from when he faced his death, putting his brain(and maybe other organs) into his arm, cutting it off his body, and leaving it to crash in a ship so his brother thought he was successful. He gathered Earth mass to REPLACE what he lost in his body, and it was adjusting, trying to turn it to Martian. So different than him taking mass for a temporary increase in size. He was also unable to use some of his powers while this adjustment happened.

Originally posted by cdtm
[B]Hitman was never called that in his own series. He called himself that, in his debut from Bloodlines, but every other time he was Tommy Monaghan.

Unless I'm mistaken, he called himself "Hitman" when he went to try out for the JLA solely to look at Wonder Woman with his X-Ray vision. I think the scene went, "Hi, I'm Hitman. I kill people." "Er uh sorry, you're not what we're looking for." "That's ok, I just came to check out Wonder Woman with my X-Ray vision. Now I can die happy."

Last edited by Delta1938 on Jul 4th, 2018 at 08:57 PM

Old Post Jul 4th, 2018 08:52 PM
Delta1938 is currently offline Click here to Send Delta1938 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta1938 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta1938
True King of House of El

Originally posted by riv6672
I found this:

I'll have to check the comic, see if it tells why he's suddenly that strong(or it might have happened earlier in another comic). Thanks.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2018 08:55 PM
riv6672

No worries. thumb up

Old Post Jul 4th, 2018 09:30 PM
riv6672

The Joker once served as the Iranian ambassador for the United Nations.

Originally posted by Delta1938
Unless I'm mistaken, he called himself "Hitman" when he went to try out for the JLA solely to look at Wonder Woman with his X-Ray vision. I think the scene went, "Hi, I'm Hitman. I kill people." "Er uh sorry, you're not what we're looking for." "That's ok, I just came to check out Wonder Woman with my X-Ray vision. Now I can die happy."

That's how i remembered it, too, but shit, i guess not!

Old Post Jul 5th, 2018 09:39 AM
riv6672

Superman can deactivate bombs...through the power of dance.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2018 09:50 AM
riv6672

DC’s Pre Crisis explanation for why Superman’s glasses worked as a disguise...

(Superman Vol.1 #330)

...relied on a mix of unconsciously projected Super-hypnotism, and the fact that yes -everything- from Krypton seemed to have super powers, even the glass.

The John Byrne written Post Crisis explanation...

(Man of Steel Vol.1 #1)

...took advantage of a RL phenomenon called “change blindness”.
The below article explains it, and, while it doesnt suggest it’d be 100% effective, especially w. those closest to him...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmod...-1786063163/amp

...it makes a decent case for it working in general, on the average joe.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2018 11:18 AM
riv6672

Galactus looks different, depending on what planet you’re from.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2018 10:04 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Originally posted by riv6672
Galactus looks different, depending on what planet you’re from.

thumb up Cool one.

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Jul 7th, 2018 10:33 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^yeah thats pretty neat!

Much like Batman owns Supes, Bruce Wayne owns The Daily Planet..,

Old Post Jul 7th, 2018 06:20 PM
riv6672

Pink Kryptonite gives Superman gay tendencies. Nuff said?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2018 06:27 PM
bluewaterrider

The SuperCousins had technology that enabled them to communicate via thought-casting in pre-Crisis time:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Source: DC Comics Presents #86
Circa: 1985

Old Post Jul 10th, 2018 01:18 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Dr. Strange's original love interest, Clea, once the requisite damsel-in-distress, now has the ability to channel the same power as Dormammu (at least according to her in this instance)

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 11th, 2018 08:06 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

big grin

Marvel and DC are part of a shared universe!

confused

Wait. Did I say that aloud?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 06:57 PM
riv6672

If you're Italian and read this...
Donna means woman while troia means whore.
That's why her nickname has never been translated in Italy.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2018 04:27 AM