KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Orville

The Orville
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Orville

20% on Rottentomatoes. Critics are giving this a pounding.

I'm usually first in line to dogpile McFarlane, but the shows definitely not what I was expecting from him. Looks like he's sincerely trying his hand at a sci-fi drama, in the vein of Firefly or Farscape..

And imo, it really isn't all that bad. Nowhere near the ripping it's getting. Maybe it's nowhere near the greats, but it's more entertaining then, say, Gotham lately, imo..

Whatever your opinion of the results, it's still loads better then Voyager. wink

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Sep 23rd, 2017 at 01:37 AM

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 01:29 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

this show really isn't all that funny.. very very dry humor

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 03:06 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stringer

I've seen better YouTube videos with appliances ****ing each other

"Ushgarak has never had a Tiny bit of sex, have you?"

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 05:17 AM
Stringer is currently offline Click here to Send Stringer a Private Message Find more posts by Stringer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I get bored halfway during an episode, I find. It's not really bad, but I think it's trying to do too many things at the same time. Will watch the 3rd episode some time this weekend before I make up my mind finally.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 06:47 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I caught a few minutes of this show on the premiere and it was dumb.

Seth McFarlane needs to get to work on producing another Cosmos season so he doesn't prove himself almost completely useless.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 11:55 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The third episode might change people's minds. It was more like Star Trek than Star Trek has been in years.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 02:43 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Funny thing, Seth appears in 2 episodes of Enterprise. And yeah it's weird as f*ck seeing him.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2017 07:37 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
The third episode might change people's minds. It was more like Star Trek than Star Trek has been in years.

Yeah, episode three was surprisingly deep, and was clearly taking a jab at a few topics that are pretty relevant in the real world at the moment. It was a bit ham-handed in moments though, IMO.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 02:00 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Surtur
Funny thing, Seth appears in 2 episodes of Enterprise. And yeah it's weird as f*ck seeing him.

laughing out loud Yeah, especially when he has lines in one of them.

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Yeah, episode three was surprisingly deep, and was clearly taking a jab at a few topics that are pretty relevant in the real world at the moment. It was a bit ham-handed in moments though, IMO.

It was, but I think it worked in the end. One thing that I was expecting them to do, that they didn't, was to suggest that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Bortus's mate being born female might have been part of the reason why their baby was female in the first place, but nobody mentioned that, that I saw.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 04:55 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Todd1700

If I had to use one word to describe the show it would be awkward. It's not serious enought for a straight up drama. It's not funny enough for a comedy. It doesn't work as action adventure. I've watched the first 3 episodes but I think I'm done. I just don't see this going anywhere.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 09:40 AM
Todd1700 is currently offline Click here to Send Todd1700 a Private Message Find more posts by Todd1700 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

^ Completely agree, doubt this gets a second season. Not sure how I feel about them so blatantly ripping off TNG. The dark-haired, super-strong alien girl is cute though.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 01:13 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I like the show, personally.
I was expecting a series of dick and fart jokes. In SPACE.
The humor's not overdone though, and a lot of the back and forth is surprisingly accurate as to what you hear in the RW Military.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 07:46 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by riv6672
I like the show, personally.
I was expecting a series of dick and fart jokes. In SPACE.
The humor's not overdone though, and a lot of the back and forth is surprisingly accurate as to what you hear in the RW Military.

I think a lot of people were expecting it to just be dick and fart jokes. And they do have a few of those (like the bit with the slime alien getting the checkup), but many of the other jokes have more subtlety to them.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 06:17 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

What i like about the humor, is so far it falls in line pretty well with how raunchy Military ppl are with each other.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 04:43 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

I actually like the show and hope it sticks around for awhile.

By Stoic

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 09:57 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Reviews are garbage. They mark this down for things that happen in Discovery, and mark up Discovery because "women in spotlight finally", as if Janeway and 7 of Nine never happened.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 03:43 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Todd1700
If I had to use one word to describe the show it would be awkward. It's not serious enought for a straight up drama. It's not funny enough for a comedy. It doesn't work as action adventure. I've watched the first 3 episodes but I think I'm done. I just don't see this going anywhere.

It walks the Galaxy Quest, Firefly, or even Buffy line. Doesn't take itself super seriously like Trek does, but it's not an outright farce either. It's lighthearted melodrama.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 04:16 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by cdtm
Reviews are garbage. They mark this down for things that happen in Discovery, and mark up Discovery because "women in spotlight finally", as if Janeway and 7 of Nine never happened.

and then they bring up the black thing but ignore people like worf, sisko etc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 08:26 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

This isn't great, but it's watchable. I don't see it going to season two though. Ep3 did get a bit into the serious side of things, which surprised me as I expected this show to be all dicks-and-farts joke style of humor

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 11:20 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I've tried to like it, made it to three episodes. Terrible acting, bad writing, obvious, predictable plots with lots of plotholes, lame jokes...

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 06:07 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote