KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » End of life care

End of life care
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

End of life care

This is something that near and dear to me, because I'm living it now.

My 94 years old grandfather on my fathers side has become debilitated. His wife, my grandmother, passed on two years ago, and now it's only him. Six months ago, he suffered a fall. He's a veteran. The veteran's hospital turned him away, because they lacked the room.

So he went to another hospital and is expected to pay out of pocket.

He also does not want to live in a home.

A social worker advised us to expend all his assets, and that the state would step in. His assets are expended. The state isn't stepping in. A state representative outright said, they aren't paying for full time care. Plus, they're taking his social security checks.

When asked how he can live on nothing, the rep said "The state doesn't care!" Not an exaggeration, he said exactly that.

So now we've got a crippled old man, who can't look after himself, being left alone for large parts of the day because we, his family, all have jobs. He's still being hounded for 60-80 thousands for his six month hospital visit, which they'll never get because he has no assets or money.

Of course, we're looking after him as best we can, but this is the reality for end of life care. It's only a luxury the rich can afford.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 10:11 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Sorry to hear that and it's a criminal shame. You would think veteran services would cover someone like your grandfather regardless, if they don't have room, then they pay another facility until they do.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 10:16 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

You shouldlook into other potential veteran programs that he might qualify for. He may be able to get home care via the VA and extra payments. My gf's dad was able to. I don't really know how the VA works, and if it varies from state to state, but it's worth looking ito.

That said, yeah it's awful and disgusting that that can even happen in this country. Speaks volumes of our backwards priorities we have here. Even more shameful because he's a veteran. Hope you guys can find a way to better deal with this situation. It's completely unacceptable.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 10:36 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
criminal shame.

really all there is to say about it, not just concerning veterans either.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 10:46 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
This is something that near and dear to me, because I'm living it now.

My 94 years old grandfather on my fathers side has become debilitated. His wife, my grandmother, passed on two years ago, and now it's only him. Six months ago, he suffered a fall. He's a veteran. The veteran's hospital turned him away, because they lacked the room.

So he went to another hospital and is expected to pay out of pocket.

He also does not want to live in a home.

A social worker advised us to expend all his assets, and that the state would step in. His assets are expended. The state isn't stepping in. A state representative outright said, they aren't paying for full time care. Plus, they're taking his social security checks.

When asked how he can live on nothing, the rep said "The state doesn't care!" Not an exaggeration, he said exactly that.

So now we've got a crippled old man, who can't look after himself, being left alone for large parts of the day because we, his family, all have jobs. He's still being hounded for 60-80 thousands for his six month hospital visit, which they'll never get because he has no assets or money.

Of course, we're looking after him as best we can, but this is the reality for end of life care. It's only a luxury the rich can afford.

That's awful, I'm tired of seeing vets disrespected.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 10:58 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Horrible to read but entirely unsurprising. The US has always promised the utmost respect to its veterans and has always treated with total contempt once their usefulness has been spent. It's very much the same in the UK for both veterans and the elderly even with a universal health care system. It doesn't cover care homes and the elderly are expected to sell off their assets to pay for residency in nursing homes. Sickening way to treat people.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 11:04 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

In Europe they don't even bother with care at this age. They send you to hospice and expect you to pass.

I plan to kill myself after the age of 80-something or when I become too weak to live an autonomous life.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 12:30 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote