KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » S4 Kanan vs end of TCW Ahsoka

S4 Kanan vs end of TCW Ahsoka
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthDuelist9
There's a difference between recognizing lightsaber forms and exactly know what move your opponent is going to use next.

So...Force precog?...Seeing things before they happen, knowing what is gonna come next. Plus I'd wager Jedi would know the sequences of the lightsaber forms, unless in this New Canon they don't go through them all as training and instead just choose one.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Nov 9th, 2017 at 08:12 PM

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 08:10 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

Originally posted by Zenwolf
So...Force precog?...

No, not really. Otherwise duels would solely depend on connection to the Force and would basically be endless. The GI knows what and how Kanan's going to react to his fighting style so again, obviously has a huge advantage. The only way you're going to defeat someone like that is by being faster, stronger and more focused. While everyone uses the same forms I think it's absolutely outrageous to claim Jedi who use the same form fight the exact same way. Every fighter has his/her own strengths and interprets a fighting form his/her own way.

Check out my new Kylo Ren Site! http://darthduelist9.wixsite.com/kylo-ren

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 08:13 PM
Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by DarthDuelist9
No, not really. Otherwise duels would solely depend on connection to the Force and would basically be endless. The GI knows what and how Kanan's going to react to his fighting style so again, obviously has a huge advantage. The only way you're going to defeat someone like that is by being faster, stronger and more focused. While everyone uses the same forms I think it's absolutely outrageous to claim Jedi who use the same form fight the exact same way. Every fighter has his/her own strengths and interprets a fighting form his/her own way.

Right, never was trying to say that all Jedi fight the exact same way. The identify lightsaber forms bit is what I'm questioning. I'm not really seeing identifying forms as something unique, when every Jedi should know them and thus able to respond accordingly.

I mean I suppose given the GI's notes, it offers something to him, but I dunno about huge. But the Canon hasn't really explored much in the way of Jedi training and what not, so we'll see what comes up.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Nov 9th, 2017 at 08:23 PM

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 08:20 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Originally posted by Zenwolf
I'm not really seeing it being that much of an advantage frankly. Unless the Jedi in Canon training isn't all that great to where they can't even identify lightsaber forms.

Should've clarified. He knew his form and master after a single exchange of blows. I don't think most Jedi masters would be capable of that. His ability to figure out the latter bit of information was attributed to his skill IIRC.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 09:10 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

@Joker

And I've always thought the Inquisitors being above a standard Knight was a given, so the fact its been confirmed doesn't change anything for me, really.

Fair enough.

The Grand Inquisitor gaining knowledge from the archives undoubtedly would have made him a more potent adversary since he could easily identify lightsaber forms, but I think the Grand Inquisitor's ability on that front only suggests an impressive academic knowledge that he was able to exploit against less experienced foes. This idea is backed up by Ultimate Star Wars which outright states that the Grand Inquisitor's fighting skills aren't as good as his analytic skills: In relying on such a mechanical lightsaber model, the Inquisitor betrays his one weakness: his fighting skills are not as potent as his analytical skills. Now, obviously, the Grand Inquisitor did exploit this edge against Kanan early on, but I think the novelty of the Grand Inquisitor's technical knowledge wore off as Kanan became more accustomed to fighting him. It's impressive for Kanan, sure, but I feel like Kanan only won that engagement because of a temporary boost brought on by Ezra's perceived death. And I know what you're thinking when I claim that Kanan was boosted—but I believe Freddie Prinze, Jr. literally said that Kanan was in an extremely focused state of mind reminiscent of, and alluded to a Bruce Lee quote regarding flowing like water or something along those lines.

It wouldn't have just been knowledge of lightsaber combat the GI would have improved in. It would have allowed the GI to grow as a Force user as well. Though that ultimately isn't all that important since even knowing the GI was an above average Jedi with a decade of power growth up to Rebels doesn't really change his position since he was already confirmed to be more powerful then S1 Kanan. I do get where you're coming from Joker, but I find it more likely Kanan became "focused" because he didn't have to worry about protecting Ezra whilst facing the GI.

Vader trying to kill Kanan and Ezra =/= Vader going all out. It's abundantly clear during the fight that Vader was operating quite casually. You're scaling doesn't work.

I don't buy the logic that Vader would be "attempting to destroy" Kanan and Ezra and not be going all out.

Last edited by UCanShootMyNova on Nov 9th, 2017 at 09:24 PM

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 09:18 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

@Zenwolf

Notably, he's also able to distinguish his opponent's fighting style within 10 seconds of engaging. Something that you might find more impressive given he not only figures out the form they're using but HOW they fight using those forms.

"10.6 the time it takes the Inquisitor to identify a Jedi's fighting style in seconds." - Absolutely Everything You Need To Know About Star Wars.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 09:27 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
@Zenwolf

Notably, he's also able to distinguish his opponent's fighting style within 10 seconds of engaging. Something that you might find more impressive given he not only figures out the form they're using but HOW they fight using those forms.

"10.6 the time it takes the Inquisitor to identify a Jedi's fighting style in seconds." - Absolutely Everything You Need To Know About Star Wars.

Where is it saying how they fight using them?

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 09:36 PM
UCanShootMyNova

Their fighting styles is how they fight... The forms are what they're fighting with.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 09:43 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Their fighting styles is how they fight... The forms are what they're fighting with.

Fighting style could also mean forms too. But alright...I still don't really seeing it being that much an edge, but hey if you guys wanna see it as such, go ahead.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Nov 9th, 2017 at 10:08 PM

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 10:04 PM
UCanShootMyNova

:/

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 10:18 PM