KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » So did Palpatine want Anakin to kill him?

So did Palpatine want Anakin to kill him?
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The.D0minator
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sidious didn't want a successor. ''Through study, I will soon learn how to defeat death. While I may choose apprentices, I will never choose a successor.''

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 09:38 AM
Click here to Send The.D0minator a Private Message Find more posts by The.D0minator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Light has been shed.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 09:57 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

quote: (post)
Originally posted by relentless1
"Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us"

- Darth Sidious to Yoda

Because he'd have a living invincible weapon?

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 09:59 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Galan007
I don't think Sheev ever believed Vader would turn on him, until he was literally hurling down the reactor shaft in RotJ. That said, I believe he was okay with having an apprentice that would never try to kill him, because his ultimate goal was to essentially become 'God' by attaining an ultimate power that would allow him to reshape the universe in his own image... And thanks to the World Between Worlds, Palpatine knew that such power was indeed attainable. He wanted this power more than anything, and I highly doubt that desire ended after his final temptation of Ezra in Rebels -- I imagine he continued seeking out a gateway to that realm up until his death.

Suffice to say, Palpatine seemed to regard Vader as more of a pawn/lapdog that simply did his bidding, rather than an eventual 'replacement'. Imo. /shrug
To add to this, I think post-Mustafar Vader was also wise enough to know that he simply was not powerful enough to destroy [an undistracted] Palpatine by himself, and would have never been foolish enough to try. That much was made abundantly clear in this scene:
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

...Hence his "join me" monologue to Luke in ESB. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 04:11 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Yup. cool

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 04:24 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

No. Sidious clearly says he intends to be the last successor of Bane as early as TPM. As for using Canon to argue Legends and vice versa, I see little in either that would suggest power is even remotely important to killing one's master outside of DoE. It's also something we shouldn't be doing anyway.

Last edited by FreshestSlice on Apr 4th, 2018 at 04:29 PM

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 04:26 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Yeah!

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 04:52 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
No. Sidious clearly says he intends to be the last successor of Bane as early as TPM. As for using Canon to argue Legends and vice versa, I see little in either that would suggest power is even remotely important to killing one's master outside of DoE. It's also something we shouldn't be doing anyway.

Yet people continue to do so...for whatever reason.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 05:08 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Of course. There are clearly more ways to kill one's master than in direct combat or w/e -- Sidious himself employed the assassination tactic to kill Plagueis, for example. I was just saying that Vader knew he was inferior to Palpatine, so he would have never even attempted a direct confrontation -- regardless of how enraged he may have become.

...But this is all secondary to the other facts at hand:
a.) Palpatine trusted Vader implicitly. He likely never thought that Vader would betray him until he was literally hurling down the reactor shaft.

b.) *Per Legends, Palpatine never wanted a true successor in the first place.
*Canon, however, is more of a grey area regarding Palpatine's motives when he initially succeeded Palgueis... He may have wanted a successor initially, but by the final season of Rebels and the Tarkin novelization, it's clear that his primary goal was attaining the sort of universal godhood/supremacy that would make his rule permanent. No successors/replacements; only HIS rule. Forever.

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 4th, 2018 at 05:44 PM

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 05:32 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

That isn't what those comic panels say nor, given how things work in Canon, is it something we should imply. It has little to do with "inferiority" a lot more to do with other factors. It's possible to draw that conclusion, but pretending it's some definite thing said by Vader is being disingenuous. Palatine wanted Vader to become mighty. Maybe even mighty enough to kill him given time. He at least thought Vader had more to him. Nothing in Canon contradicts this being a possible future, your statements to the contrary.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 06:42 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Given the context of the story, the scene implies precisely what I stated. You'd have to twist said context quite a bit to see it any other way, tbh... And it's not the first time in canon that Palpatine has made his superiority over Vader clear, either:
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Of course Palpatine wanted a powerful apprentice -- that has never been brought into question. However, very little(almost nothing) in canon suggests that he ever intended post-Mustafar Vader to kill/replace him, nor is there much(if any) evidence to suggest that Vader ever planned on usurping Palpatine alone... Which are my main points here.

But if you have evidence to the contrary, please do feel free to post it... I'd be more than welcome to go more in-depth here if need be.

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 4th, 2018 at 07:17 PM

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 07:04 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Galan007
Given the context of the story, the scene implies precisely what I stated. You'd have to twist said context quite a bit to see it any other way, tbh... And it's not the first time in canon that Palpatine has made his superiority over Vader clear, either:
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Of course Palpatine wanted a powerful apprentice -- that has never been brought into question. However, very little(almost nothing) in canon suggests that he ever intended post-Mustafar Vader to kill/replace him, nor is there much(if any) evidence to suggest that Vader ever planned on usurping Palpatine alone... Which are my main points here.

But if you have evidence to the contrary, please do feel free to post it... I'd be more than welcome to go more in-depth here if need be.

I'm confused: we presumably agree that Sidious wanted Vader to replace him pre-Mustafar. After Mustafar, you're telling me that Palpatine changed his mind and decided that, if he could snap his fingers and change the outcome of that duel so that Vader retained his full potential, he wouldn't do it? So he regrets Vader's defeat but then decides it was actually a good thing all along?

Old Post Apr 5th, 2018 08:16 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Palpatine thought he could control Anakin. Obviously he didn't plan to be killed - at least not in GL's world.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Apr 5th, 2018 08:25 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

I think that maybe he expected Vader to surpass him at first, but after either realizing what being Emperor fully allowed him to do, or after realizing Vader would never be able to lead the Sith after his failure on Mustufar, decided "f*ck it" and no longer wanted to be supplanted.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2018 08:33 PM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I think after Mustafar Palps was very disappointed in Vader and reconsidered what he was really capable of.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2018 08:38 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

He never wanted to be killed. Sith don't want to be replaced? Wtf is wrong with you?

Old Post Apr 5th, 2018 09:13 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Considering that in Canon, Vader's probably above Anakin, there's really nothing to suggest some huge hamper on potential. The author's already commented on Palpatine's motives either way.

quote:
The Emperor really wants Vader to dig deep into the dark side and see what he’s gained, even after everything he’s lost. That’s really where Vader is at this point. He’s lost everything he ever had to rely on; he doesn’t have any guiding light at all except for Palpatine. As we know, Palpatine is not a great mentor figure. You never know what his real agenda is and you never know if there’s actual loyalty. He calls Vader his friend and apprentice and partner all the time, but none of that ever rings completely true. You don’t know how true it is, except that he’s generally always out for himself.

Palpatine doesn't want tos top Mustafar because it would be counter intuitive to teaching Vader that his loses do not matter. Anything about "lost" potential is all but fanon at this point.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2018 09:19 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Considering that in Canon, Vader's probably above Anakin, there's really nothing to suggest some huge hamper on potential. The author's already commented on Palpatine's motives either way.

Palpatine doesn't want tos top Mustafar because it would be counter intuitive to teaching Vader that his loses do not matter. Anything about "lost" potential is all but fanon at this point.

So, peak suit Vader vs. Palpatine in canon; who wins?

Old Post Apr 5th, 2018 09:20 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Rey.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2018 01:45 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by The Ellimist
I'm confused: we presumably agree that Sidious wanted Vader to replace him pre-Mustafar. After Mustafar, you're telling me that Palpatine changed his mind and decided that, if he could snap his fingers and change the outcome of that duel so that Vader retained his full potential, he wouldn't do it? So he regrets Vader's defeat but then decides it was actually a good thing all along?
I think Palpatine intended Anakin to succeed him at first, ergo: "Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us!"

But after his defeat on Mustafar, Palpatine realized that Vader would never be able to reach his full potential, so he began seeking-out other means to permanently retain power himself. *Enter his goal of remaking the universe in his own image, and lusting after TWBW*

...In canon, at least. In Legends there is evidence to suggest that Palpatine never wanted a successor, period.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2018 01:49 PM