KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » PUBG: Why is it so popular?

PUBG: Why is it so popular?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by One Big Mob
Because they get replaced within a year. And Cod MW 3 got really close on its own. Skyrim has sold 30 million since 2011. Cod as a franchise has sold around 160 million units since that time.
yes... a year.

It's barely been a year since PUBG was released too.

Most people say Black Ops II was the last good one.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Apr 28th, 2018 06:16 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

There's a 3rd Black Ops on its way, It won't even have a single player mode from what i've read erm

Old Post Apr 28th, 2018 07:51 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Smasandian
Where are you getting this information that PUBG outsold all of the versions of Skyrim?
Not yet, but its only 1mill away, MW3 is 4mill behind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ing_video_games

Check the references.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2018 06:14 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The BBC article doesn't have any references so I'm unsure where they got the data. I'm not saying it's wrong.

But I assume the reason why the sale are so high is because it exploded in China.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2018 10:16 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by Jmanghan
yes... a year.

It's barely been a year since PUBG was released too.

Most people say Black Ops II was the last good one.
Yes a year. But like I said, they get replaced every year and people know this. Which likely hinders sales a bit. I know I stopped playing CoD completely because of this

Had Cod said it was taking a break for 2 years and coming out with something fresh in the series, I guarantee that new Cod would be the best selling Cod by far. Even a guaranteed 2 year break would likely bolster interest

Cod can easily outsell Skyrim, it doesn't because people are sick of the shit and they make up for it in installments, not just one release. It's a faulty franchise to compare to.

The reason PUBG is doing so well is because of all the streamers and because it's fresh. I have doubts it will pass 40 million without another system (it is on Xbox though) and even more substantial hype behind it. If CoD/BF/Arena shooters weren't so played out I don't know if it would have taken off.

But it has, and time will tell what will become of it. I'm sure we'll see another installment though in one form or another, and that will tell us of where we can place the longstanding popularity.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 12:54 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Because they saw someone rep it on a show.

So the same reason hipsters were into that pabst blue ribbon shite (I say that as someone that bought a case on impulse, out of curiosity. Cut my daily intake way back, on the plus side.)

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 01:34 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

So the PUBG publisher or whatever is suing Epic games because they feel Fortnight is somehow infringing on their copyright.

This is particularly amusing because PUBG is built using the Unreal engine, a propriety owned by Epic games.

This has the potential to backfire spectacularly. Last time a game using the engine sued Epic, Epic countersued and essentially destroyed their ability to make games anymore.

It's really dumb, I hope PUBG gets spanked hard for this, even if it means ceasing to exist. They are essentially trying to say that they own the copyright to battle royale type games. If they win it could set a very dangerous precedent moving forward.

Old Post May 30th, 2018 12:55 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Yeah I saw this, and legit loled. It's good entertainment, at least.

It's fcking insane. Their game uses nothing but universal assets, was built on another companies engine, and ripped the entire Battle Royal premise off from another game. Nothing about it is original. Part of me wants this to blow up in their face, but I actually want PUBG to continue getting support so I wont go full nuke on them.

PWNT

Old Post May 30th, 2018 01:12 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Just because you use an engine doesn't allow the engine owner to copyright your material.

However, I don't agree with them suing Epic. It would set a dangerous precedent. Just think everybody FPS shooter developer needing to pay ID Software for the first person view with guns....it's ridiculous.

The Fortnite/PUBG is different because Fortnite is essentially PUBG but I still don't agree.

Old Post May 30th, 2018 03:27 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

No the engine doesn't allow the engine owner to copyrighted material. However since the lawsuit is blatantly BS, if I were Epic I'd do everything in my power to revoke the usage of the engine to cripple them.

Last edited by BackFire on May 30th, 2018 at 03:43 AM

Old Post May 30th, 2018 03:40 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I could see an argument that the look/feel of fortnite is way too close, what with parachuting in and everything..

Of course, Duke Nukem 3D had a look/feel pretty damned close to Doom... The industry is all about derivatives.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 30th, 2018 12:39 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by BackFire
No the engine doesn't allow the engine owner to copyrighted material. However since the lawsuit is blatantly BS, if I were Epic I'd do everything in my power to revoke the usage of the engine to cripple them.

From what I read, Epic can't revoke the engine license unless PUBG has broken the terms of the agreement. They can't just revoke it because that would be ****ing bullshit. It would just as bad as PUBG suing them for "copywriting" a gameplay mechanic.

I agree that Fortnite is a pretty scummy way of doing business but they didn't break any law/contract.

Old Post May 30th, 2018 09:51 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I read the opposite: Epic can alter the terms of the arrangement at any time.

They hold all the cards, so not sure "why" they'd need to undermine themselves. It's not like they're hurting for devs who need their engine, with few alternatives and none really as good as theirs..

Old Post May 30th, 2018 10:00 PM
BackFire

I really have no idea what the legality of Epic revoking PUBG's ability to use the engine is. Just saying, if it were me, and some company that I let use my engine turned around and dragged me through a frivolous lawsuit to try and hinder my ability to sell my game in a country, then I'd absolutely explore revoking my license from them if it were at all possible.

Old Post May 30th, 2018 10:32 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Yeah I can't see how this won't blow up in PUBG's face. Next thing you know Fortnite will sue Paladins, then Paladins will sue Call of Duty 'cause they tookz mai big map!

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 12:29 AM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2018 12:18 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

PUBG dropped the lawsuit against Fortnite. Who's expecting Epic to reply with "that's nice but we're still taking the engine away from you"?

Old Post Jun 28th, 2018 01:32 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Nemesis X
PUBG dropped the lawsuit against Fortnite. Who's expecting Epic to reply with "that's nice but we're still taking the engine away from you"?
I don't see the appeal of PUBG at all, it's slowly but surely becoming the best-selling game of all time.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2018 01:52 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Nemesis X

I'm not sure they can do that without legal reason.

Or, at least they won't because it sends a terrible message to other companies who use Unreal.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2018 11:00 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by Smasandian
I'm not sure they can do that without legal reason.

Or, at least they won't because it sends a terrible message to other companies who use Unreal.

Yeah but it'd be pretty funny if they made the attempt though.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jun 28th, 2018 at 11:16 PM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2018 11:11 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Meh.

I don't like the lawsuit for every obvious reason that people have stated but I do think Epic has been equally as scummy as the PUBG group.

The licensed their engine a developer who makes a very popular game. It's not entirely unique but it hit the right notes for people. Epic then takes the concept of the game, copies it and releases it for free. PUBG is continuation of a lot of king of the hill/DAYZ type games while Fortnite is a direct copy of PUBG.

But people are forgetting that Fornite was not a Battle Royale game but instead a base building horde mode type deal that wasn't fully released and was sold as an early access title. People purchased Fortnite for that reason and when they released a carbon copy of a PUBG mode, most of the developments cycles stopped for the original purpose of the game. Its like if Star Citizen stopped being a space sim but become a space MOBA.

Again...nothing illegal about it and I don't agree with the lawsuit at all but Epic copied PUBG, used the sales of the game to fund the mode and then released it for free to directly compete with PUBG. I thinks that's just as bullshit.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2018 11:21 PM