KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Superman vs Captain Marvel (Classic, F' the New52) vs Thor (Twist)

Superman vs Captain Marvel (Classic, F' the New52) vs Thor (Twist)
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

quote: (post)
Originally posted by deathslash
1. I never said that he had better stamina. All I did was correct Digi in regards to his assumption that it was a race.

2. Read the OP again. They are running, not flying.

Yes, now it's just Superman running for sixty days straight.

How long do you think Thor has to run to catch up?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 05:27 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by abhilegend
new 52 Superman flew for 60 days straight across one end of universe from another.

Soooo slow.

But like deathslash said, not the point.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 05:28 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JBL
Wrestling God

Superman fans are so programmed to say "SUPERMAN WIN!!" That they are clueless to what this thread is about. The OP explained it plain as day and they still are clueless.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 05:37 AM
JBL is currently offline Click here to Send JBL a Private Message Find more posts by JBL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 05:44 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spetznaz
Senior Fanboy Killer

It’s unfortunate how the thread seems to have gone a tad off the rails (as often happens whenever the usual pro-DC/anti-Marvel and pro-Marvel/anti-DC people get involved), but in my opinion :

- when it comes to Captain Marvel: it is clear he has proper and high level superspeed. How fast? Speed of Mercury, which may be slow to a Flash but is fast by almost any other measure. Now, do we have any indication how fast Billy can run? Well, the closest we have to a real number is Black Adam ...powered by different gods, but still using the access of Shazam. Black Adam was tracked running at Mach 500 towards China, which is supremely fast (escape velocity to get to space is Mach 25, and BA was running at Mach 500). This is especially key as he was running. So, we can estimate that Captain Marvel can also run more or less at that speed. He would definitely be a contender both in terms of (i) maximum speed and (ii) his ability/stamina to keep it up endlessly. He has the velocity and the stamina.

- next is Superman (who, like the Hulk, I often don’t like debating since the usual scum crawl out to try and derail the conversation). Anyway, most of his speed feats at flight related, but he has had several running feats in his long history. Almost all of these have been against the Flash, where he has been shown as being able to keep up. And by keep up, I mean apparently (and ‘apparently’ is important as I’ll show later) running neck to neck, and being apparently (that word again) more or less equal to the Flash. It’s also been shown that Superman is one of very few characters able to communicate at speed with the Flash, even when other characters like Wonder Woman are there. He definitely has top speed feats. Now, there are two issues with Kal. The first is that his foot races with Flash were later shown to have been the Flash trying to humor him - the ol’ ‘it was for charity Clark’ speak - and the Flash is apparently considerably (considerably!) faster than Superman. That is not a knock of Superman though, as the Flash is speed personified. It is also a fact that even that ‘apparent’ keeping up with the Flash was still a ridiculous speed. The second issue is more important ...will Superman have sufficient solar energy stores in his body, or will he be running near yellow/white/blue suns that can recharge him? Would he be fast enough to run across the galaxy before needing sunlight? Those are the main questions for Superman. Personally, I think he’s faster on foot than Billy based on the jokes the Flash has made on god-fueled speedsters like Billy and Wonderwoman (he thinks Hermes and Mercury are slow, and at one point - for Wonder Woman - even ran backwards to prove it and said ‘the speed of Hermes? I thought you were fast!’), but that is simply due to DC giving SIGNIFICANTLY more airtime to Superman than to virtually any other character. Speedwise, while virtually every brick in DC has high level superspeed, most of the airtime has been given to Kryptonians (primarily Superman) and the Flashes/Flash-types like Zolomon, then some airtime to the god-fueled characters (be they WW, CM even Zauriel), and then the rest share the dregs (everyone from MM to GLs ...even though some of those, like GLs, have crazy speed feats that, in the Silver Age, could be compared to SA Superman ... - even Aquaman has shown an ability to blitz). I personally think he has enough reserves in him to run the distance (considering he flies across galaxies in a whim, and has even flown across the universe without running out of solar juice).

- finally, Thor. While I am certain he is MUCH faster than (say) Captain America, has the Odinson really been shown to have any foot speed? Yes, with his hammer he can fly really fast (classic Thor, who knew what to do with Mjolnir unlike the current ‘Thor Smash!’ silly version, could go past light speed and even create portals), but I simply haven’t seen the person run. Is he even as fast as Quicksilver? He definitely has the stamina to run the whole course, but does he have the speed for it to make a difference? Especially considering the vast distances? We are talking light years of distance! To be honest with you, even CM’s Mach 500 may be too slow considering the vastness of galactic space. Is Thor fast enough to make a difference, no matter his stamina?
Is he even a contender?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 07:33 AM
spetznaz is currently offline Click here to Send spetznaz a Private Message Find more posts by spetznaz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Are we gauging how much distance they cover before they drop? Or is it who lasts the longest time before dropping?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 07:44 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spetznaz
Senior Fanboy Killer

Originally posted by StyleTime
Are we gauging how much distance they cover before they drop? Or is it who lasts the longest time before dropping?

Good question - I assumed both, and I think either will not make much difference.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 08:09 AM
spetznaz is currently offline Click here to Send spetznaz a Private Message Find more posts by spetznaz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Both. Otherwise one of them can stand in place, or coast it.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 08:52 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by StyleTime

The latter.

My money’s still on CM. Stamina of Atlas. He’s one of, if not only characters, to have atamina specifically listed as a power.

While most comics/forum fights dont last long enough for that stamina to matter, this thread plays into that perfectly.

You know, unless you’re arguing speed because you cant frikking READ. eek!

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 10:08 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spetznaz
Senior Fanboy Killer

Apologies Riv. I am one of those that conflated stamina and speed, rather than simply looking at stamina.

I’d say that CM would definitely be a contender since he could literally run until Atlas stopped to exist.

Superman is also a strong contender since he can run until he’s no longer getting sustenance from yellow/white/blue suns, with the main question being the one I asked regarding whether he’d be able to absorb solar energy as he ran. If yes, he’s the clear winner. If no, then he’s is under threat even from Thor. Thing is though, he’s been shown traveling across galaxies, so many that’s not an issue (as it would be for Bird Man for example, who seemingly instantly fades if you put him under any shade).

Then Thor. Huge amounts of stamina, but I simply don’t see him competing with the first two (unless someone can show me Superman is Bird Man).

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 11:25 AM
riv6672

Oh, i wasnt referring to you w. my obnoxious remarks.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 11:35 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I actually was only considering stamina when I made this thread.

I guess since these are heroes we're talking about, let's just forget distance. Assume they go all out, and would never think to cheat by dogging it, and who drops wherever on the track loses.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 11:40 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathslash
Pyromaniacal Humanitarian

Originally posted by abhilegend
Yes, now it's just Superman running for sixty days straight.

How long do you think Thor has to run to catch up?
flying and running are different. Prove that Clark can run that long.

*Sigh
Once again, this is a pure stamina debate. I'm not sure why you and most of the other posters are so caught up in distance.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 12:31 PM
deathslash is currently offline Click here to Send deathslash a Private Message Find more posts by deathslash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by deathslash
flying and running are different. Prove that Clark can run that long.

*Sigh
Once again, this is a pure stamina debate. I'm not sure why you and most of the other posters are so caught up in distance.

Why wouldn't he be able to run for that long?

You still haven't shown anything that shows Thor has a stamina edge on Superman.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2018 01:51 PM