KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Toxic Fandoms? DCEU/MCU/Star Wars

Toxic Fandoms? DCEU/MCU/Star Wars
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (25): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Quincy
Debaser

Star Wars seems particularly rough. The The DC fans seem the most petty.

Fanboyism in general has grown into a real negative area in my eyes.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 02:21 AM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

With Star Wars, I think there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the newer movies, but those reasonable complaints get drowned out in sea of unwashed neckbeards and other assorted losers who can't get dates who complain about a nonexistent SJW agenda, so they take their misplaced frustration and paranoia out on fictional characters and their actors/creators. Extremely toxic fandom, and I hate dealing with them.

DCEU fans are so out of touch with reality sometimes that it's hard to stay mad at them, because often we're not even watching the same movie. They think BvS is some arthouse flick when it's really just an incomprehensible mess and that MoS was some genius deconstruction of Superman when it doesn't understand the character from the first scene he's in. In those terms, I actually kind of feel sorry for them, but they're still plenty toxic and petty.

MCU fanboys can definitely be toxic and annoying, but nearly as much as the first two.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 03:02 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

I second what he said ^

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 03:14 AM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

I think the SW fan base is super toxic but the people currently in charge are idiots. Mark Hamil WARNED them. He said think about the fans. How can you have a fandom so devoted, they turned a movie about a farm boy in a galaxy far far away into a behemoth, and expect NOT to take their feelings into consideration or what they want. It's ridiculous and shows a huge level of arrogance and misunderstanding of human nature.

The new director dismissed fans. The movie tore down everything from the past. And it wasn't done in, it's time for a new era vibe. They called the old toxic, irrelevant and burned it like the Jedi tree. It was also a huge shift from the last movie tonally.

I'm a passive SW fan but man, I can't imagine how some of the hard core supporters must feel. Those dudes hype the movie and put in so much work, Kennedy should be sending them dividends.

And saying there isn't any SJW agenda is bogus after the Solo movie droid. It sounded like it was reading Twitter. It's gotten to the point where it takes you out of the movie.

No one deserves SM hate, but spitting in the face of those old school fans like they did and not expecting a huge back lash is stupid. Those SW fans kept the franchise running for 15 ****ing years in between trilogies. That's a level of commitment greater than most marriages. People are emotionally invested in this to an extreme level. You don't walk into a project like this lightly. If you do, you're a moron.

It's angry neckbeards and delusional creatives. I just wanted the feeling I felt when I wanted a movie about a farm boy with a magic sword taking down an evil Empire. If I wanted nuisanced social commentary, I wouldn't pay for a movie where evil and good are polar opposites that can warp the world around you.

Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus on Jun 7th, 2018 at 03:44 AM

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 03:40 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
And saying there isn't any SJW agenda is bogus after the Solo movie droid. It sounded like it was reading Twitter. It's gotten to the point where it takes you out of the movie.

I'm pretty sure that was meant as parody. At least I hope it was...

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 03:56 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I think the SW fan base is super toxic but the people currently in charge are idiots. Mark Hamil WARNED them. He said think about the fans. How can you have a fandom so devoted, they turned a movie about a farm boy in a galaxy far far away into a behemoth, and expect NOT to take their feelings into consideration or what they want. It's ridiculous and shows a huge level of arrogance and misunderstanding of human nature.

The new director dismissed fans. The movie tore down everything from the past. And it wasn't done in, it's time for a new era vibe. They called the old toxic, irrelevant and burned it like the Jedi tree. It was also a huge shift from the last movie tonally.

I'm a passive SW fan but man, I can't imagine how some of the hard core supporters must feel. Those dudes hype the movie and put in so much work, Kennedy should be sending them dividends.

No one deserves SM hate, but spitting in the face of those old school fans like they did and not expecting a huge back lash is stupid. Those SW fans kept the franchise running for 15 ****ing years in between trilogies. That's a level of commitment greater than most marriages. People are emotionally invested in this to an extreme level. You don't walk into a project like this lightly. If you do, you're a moron.

It's angry neckbeards and delusional creatives. I just wanted the feeling I felt when I wanted a movie about a farm boy with a magic sword taking down an evil Empire. If I wanted nuisanced social commentary, I wouldn't pay for a movie where evil and good are polar opposites that can warp the world around you.

Don't get me wrong. I really dislike the new Star Wars movies(Rogue One excepted). The Force Awakens was one of the most disappointing experiences I have ever had watching a movie, and TLJ pissed me off just as much. The OT is special to me like it is to a lot of people. I just don't want to be compared to the people that harassed Rose Tico.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 04:20 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I dont care about SJW agendas as long as the characters are properly developed and it doesnt feel like theyre forcing it in.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 07:55 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Darth Thor
It wasnt criticism over the prequels that was he problem. It was the toxicity towards George Lucas, Hayden Christenson and heck even Jake Lloyd. That guy faced serious harassment and bullying all his life just because some people didnt like TPM.

Heck pricks like Simon Pegg would make comments like- I cant respect anyone who likes the prequels. Thats going beyond mere movie criticism. Its personally insulting fans of those films.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 08:02 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
With Star Wars, I think there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the newer movies, but those reasonable complaints get drowned out in sea of unwashed neckbeards and other assorted losers who can't get dates who complain about a nonexistent SJW agenda, so they take their misplaced frustration and paranoia out on fictional characters and their actors/creators. Extremely toxic fandom, and I hate dealing with them.

DCEU fans are so out of touch with reality sometimes that it's hard to stay mad at them, because often we're not even watching the same movie. They think BvS is some arthouse flick when it's really just an incomprehensible mess and that MoS was some genius deconstruction of Superman when it doesn't understand the character from the first scene he's in. In those terms, I actually kind of feel sorry for them, but they're still plenty toxic and petty.

MCU fanboys can definitely be toxic and annoying, but nearly as much as the first two.
There is no "non-existant" SJW agenda. Kathleen Kennedy is a third wave feminist. She has injected feminism into the movies to the point of absurdity. Notice how all white males in TLJ were portrayed. They were either villains (Hux, Kylo) or failures (Luke) who either needed to be beaten and humiliated or just saved/taught/inspired by the females. I have no problem with "Strong female characters". I'm probably one of only a few people that watched and enjoyed Ghost in the Shell. I liked Wonder Woman. Etc, I shouldn't have to explain that and I'm done doing so. What I DO have problems with is feminism. It is a plague on our society and it's largely why a LOT of people are furious with TLJ. But again, the SJW agenda that Disney has been pushing is far from the least of the problems. There were many reasons why TLJ was bad. Anyway, keep being blind to the problem; you're just like Disney. You refuse to acknowledge the main issues with SW (forced political bullshit in a fantasy escapism film).

Funny thing is Christian Harloff (Collider) thinks Episide 9 is going to make 2 billion dollars.... laughing

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 12:16 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It wasnt criticism over the prequels that was he problem. It was the toxicity towards George Lucas, Hayden Christenson and heck even Jake Lloyd. That guy faced serious harassment and bullying all his life just because some people didnt like TPM.

Heck pricks like Simon Pegg would make comments like- I cant respect anyone who likes the prequels. Thats going beyond mere movie criticism. Its personally insulting fans of those films.

My issue was with the "Star wars raped muh childhood!" BS.

Hayden and Jake just tried to make the best of the shit they were given. Though I think George Lucas does deserve some toxicity. I don't mean harassment, but I firmly believe the prequels suffered in quality because people were just afraid to say "no" to George. Nobody sat him down once and said "Jar Jar Binks is f*cking terrible, I'd rather dip my face in a vat acid than listen to him". Nobody. And when Lucas proudly claimed "Jar jar is the key!" nobody said a god damn thing lol. Just nodded like jackasses.

And then we have the romantic dialogue. Dear lord...

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 03:32 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Absolutely.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 03:55 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
The toxicity reached its apogeum with TLJ.

Don't think it can get any worse.

Just wait until ep9 stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 03:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by Robtard
I doubt there will be as much uproar because there will still be a large majority of Solo boycotters who also boycott Ep. 9.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 04:57 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Ep9 will still likely break the billion dollar mark, so there's going to be plenty of people watching it to then complain about some SJW aspect or Daisy Ridley (who is hot) being too fat or whatever.

I predict it will make more than TLJ but less than TFA, as it doesn't have the "A NEW STARWARS!!1!" appeal that TFA did, but it has the 'Final chapter in this trilogy' aspect going for it. So I'm going with 1.69 billion for Star Wars: Episode IX.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 05:27 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

I knew you'd say that laughing out loud

At least it's not directed by Rian... Abrams is bearable.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 05:38 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Ep9 will still likely break the billion dollar mark, so there's going to be plenty of people watching it to then complain about some SJW aspect or Daisy Ridley (who is hot) being too fat or whatever.

I predict it will make more than TLJ but less than TFA, as it doesn't have the "A NEW STARWARS!!1!" appeal that TFA did, but it has the 'Final chapter in this trilogy' aspect going for it. So I'm going with 1.69 billion for Star Wars: Episode IX.

To CPT Space Bomb,

Reading my post, it seems like I'm saying there are no legit criticisms of the newer films, there certainly are.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 05:49 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I knew you'd say that laughing out loud

At least it's not directed by Rian... Abrams is bearable.

I am happy that Abrams is back on, but I don't think Johnson did a horrible job with TLJ, despite its flaws.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 05:51 PM
Darth Thor

^ I despise TFA, so not looking forward to Abrams return.

My issue with Rey stems from TFA.

Originally posted by Surtur
My issue was with the "Star wars raped muh childhood!" BS.

Hayden and Jake just tried to make the best of the shit they were given. Though I think George Lucas does deserve some toxicity. I don't mean harassment, but I firmly believe the prequels suffered in quality because people were just afraid to say "no" to George. Nobody sat him down once and said "Jar Jar Binks is f*cking terrible, I'd rather dip my face in a vat acid than listen to him". Nobody. And when Lucas proudly claimed "Jar jar is the key!" nobody said a god damn thing lol. Just nodded like jackasses.

And then we have the romantic dialogue. Dear lord...

I mean, its his story. Hes the one who gave those guys the OT, and that doesnt change.

No toxicity is deserved towards him at all for that IMO. I mean what toxicity did Steven Spielberg get for Jurassic Park 2, or for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

None. And he shouldnt.

I understand a level of annoyance for the Changes made to the OT, especially when they wont release the original theatrical versions on Digital/Blu-Ray. So those criticisms of Lucas are valid. But thats where it should end.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jun 7th, 2018 at 06:02 PM

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 05:58 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Lol, people were calling Daisy "fat" weren't they?! laughing WTF...

Anyway, I can't say I agree with you on how much it's going to make. Would I be surprised if it made over 1.5 billion? At this point yes actually. My guess is it makes closer to the 1.3 that TLJ made...but we'll see. The only way I see it making more is if WOM is great and the movie tries to heal the wounds to the community that TLJ caused. Not sure how they'd go about doing that but yah.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 06:31 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

^ I despise TFA, so not looking forward to Abrams return.

My issue with Rey stems from TFA.

You gotta admit one thing, though.

Han's death is not so lame now, when you remember [SPOILER - highlight to read]: what Han's boss told him - ""Assume everyone will betray you and you'll never be disappointed."

I predict we'll get flooded with memes in a month or two.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 06:37 PM