KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » DE Luke vs. Spirit Kun

DE Luke vs. Spirit Kun
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

AP is winning... What the f**k?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2018 11:11 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AncientPower
What? The Jedi trapped Kun's spirit on Yavin IV with a wall of light, Kun then had no choice but to anchor his spirit to the focal points of the temples on the planet.

quote:
"(...)though unable to defeat him entirely. The Jedi were able to imprison Exar Kun's spirit in the temples of Yavin 4."
-STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ - Timeline - The Exar Kun War

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Oct 1st, 2018 12:56 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

He couldn't use them as an amp,

Where does it say that?

Old Post Oct 1st, 2018 09:25 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Where does it say that?

Because it wouldn't qualify as an amp due to the fact that Exar Kun spirit<Exar Kun flesh.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2018 01:29 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Originally posted by Freedon Nadd

So apparently Gnost-Dural is infallible, that's actually really helpful.

Where does it say that?

Dark Side Sourcebook:
quote:
Exar Kun-who didn't technically die so much as merge with the dark side and retain his identity-resisted the dissolution of his spirit by drawing on the remarkable focusing energies of the Massassi temples on Yavin 4.

There's also the fact Spirit Kun's amplification of Kyp was far greater than the power Kyp drew from the Great Temple during the Suncrusher feat.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2018 11:35 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

The quote literally says Kun is drawing on the "remarkable energies" of Yavin's DS nexus. It quite clearly states he's amped. Sure, he's drawing on those energies to resist being torn apart as well, but that doesn't suddenly mean he can't use them for other methods.

Your continued mental gymnastics are amusing.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2018 05:36 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

"Merge with the Dark Side"
"Drawing on the incredible focusing energies"

laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2018 05:45 PM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Feel free to explain why:

1.Kun's own power was a far greater amplification than that of the Great Temple for Kyp.
2.Kun's outright stated to be completely inert without draining energy from the students, despite this 'amp' being ever present.

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2018 10:05 PM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

1.Kun's own power was a far greater amplification than that of the Great Temple for Kyp.

Citation

Pretty sure Exar wasn't just adding to Kyp's power with his own; he was drawing out his potential. So it's possibly:

Kyp (who has had more time to grow into his power) + unlocked potential + Exar Kun's own power (which = spirit Kun + nexus)

quote:
2.Kun's outright stated to be completely inert without draining energy from the students, despite this 'amp' being ever present.

Citati-wait, then doesn't Luke win?

I don't see much evidence for Exar Kun winning this, frankly.

- It's outright stated that when Luke arrives, he is too powerful for Exar Kun to handle.

- In the confrontation, Luke never actually attacks Kyp or Exar, is blindsided by Exar's sorcery from the flanks, and Kyp's power is directly mentioned to be the primary cause of his defeat, with Exar mainly banking on sorcery and drawing out Kyp's potential. He played a role close to what Leia did for Luke in the last duel of DE.

- spirit Luke, presumably not drawing on the dark side nexus on Yavin at all, makes spirit Kun run away just by charging at him even after Exar was boasting about how he had several thousand years to adjust to being a spirit and so would be more powerful.

- DE Luke will be more willing to fight seriously than JA Luke, and he was just some elementary BM from a trainee Leia away from disarming the reborn Palpatine, who is miles above even full power Kun.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2018 11:20 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Citation.

quote:
He reached out with his mind, following the paths of the Force that led to every object in the universe, drawing power from the cosmic focal point of the Massassi temple. He searched, sending his thoughts like a probe deep into the storm systems of the gas giant. Behind him, Kyp felt the black-ice power of Exar Kun arise, tapping into him and reinforcing his abilities. His own feeble exploratory touch suddenly plunged forward like a blaster bolt.

Pretty sure Exar wasn't just adding to Kyp's power with his own; he was drawing out his potential. So it's possibly:

Kyp (who has had more time to grow into his power) + unlocked potential + Exar Kun's own power (which = spirit Kun + nexus)

The whole basis of that argument is this quote:

quote:
Against the full might of Kyp Durron and the forbidden weapons of the long-dead spirit of Exar Kun, even a Jedi Master such as Luke Skywalker could not prevail.

As if 'full might' doesn't just mean Kyp going all-out. It also completely fails to factor in this:

quote:
The Force blow he aimed at me glanced off my chest, yet it was strong enough to bounce me off the corrider wall. I managed to catch myself against the rough stone, but not before I'd slid half-way down the wall.

"You are not my master!" Kyp pointed back toward the dining room, "He is not my master! What good is it being a Jedi if we do not act?"

"What good is it being Jedi if we don't act responsibly?" I hauled myself upright, "Remember Kyp, the 'no good Jedi' kicked Kun's butt.." Kyp struck at me again through the Force but I expected it this time, I absorbed enough of it to let me create a shield.

"You're involved with someone who lost a long time ago, don't compound his error."

"And who will stop me?" I hesitated because Kyp's words seemed to echo within themselves, we were not alone, which meant Kyp's mentor had come to aid his apprentice.

"I will, if you make it necessary." An ancient sneer of contempt twisted Kyp's features.

"Puny Jedi, you are of no concern to me." Even though I had braced myself for another attack, it did no good. Kyp's previous blows were like light breezes compared to this full-on gale. I slammed back into the wall with teeth rattling-impact.

Even worse, when an enraged Kyp attacks a prepared Horn with telekinesis, he can absorb it. When Kyp is empowered by Kun's spirit, he gets slammed into the wall, let's also not forget that Kun was multitasking too:

quote:
"What happened to you?"

"Kyp didn't like the menu." I winced as a twing rang through my ribs. "We had a discussion in the hallway, you didn't feel anything?" Heads all around the hallway shook, and I felt a cold dread begin to congeal in my stomach. If Exar Kun could mask the attack on me in such a way that Master Skywalker could not feel it barely fifteen meters away, then we were up against something more powerful than I'd cared to imagine existing.
- I, Jedi

More over, sources confirm that Kun was making Kyp stronger and bolstered him when he attacked Luke:

quote:
Over a number of weeks, Kun slowly bends Kyp to his will, and begins to augment his power. He grows very powerful on Kyp's hate, and soon his hold on Kyp is so complete that he can send Kyp beyond the planet to do his will and still retain control over his subject. Ultimately, he has Kyp return to Yavin Four and helps him reclaim the Sun Crusher. He also bolsters Kyp's talents to allow him to defeat Luke and place him in a coma.
- Jedi Academy Sourcebook

Nor does it factor in this:

quote:
The only vaguely positive explanation for Exar Kun's dormancy that I could come up with was that his effort to draw the Suncrusher from Yavin and to down Luke had tired him out.
- Corran Horn, Jedi VS. Sith

Citati-wait, then doesn't Luke win?

Depends, is this spirit Kun at the height of his power or is this spirit Kun without having drained any of the students?

I don't see much evidence for Exar Kun winning this, frankly.

I'm shocked.

- It's outright stated that when Luke arrives, he is too powerful for Exar Kun to handle.

Yes, because his spirit has no Force reserves and has to feed on latent emotional energy, and the reserves of the students:

quote:
Kun finds Gantoris, strong-willed and impatient to learn, to be a more promising first candidate. He easily seduces Gantoris in the same manner that Nadd had seduced him—by promising forbidden knowledge and the truly powerful Jedi secrets Gantoris cannot wait to learn. Carefully building up and feeding on the anger of his first apprentice, Kun grows in power. Soon he feels confident to make an attempt to subvert Luke, knowing that if he can sway the teacher, the students will all follow. Kun, posing as Anakin Skywalker, appears to Luke and attempts to pull him toward the forbidden Sith teachings by tempting hi to use Sith power to seize control of the New Republic and destroy the Empire. Realizing that this shade is not that of his father, Luke rejects the offer.
Enraged and drained, Kun returns to Gantoris. Desperate for more energy, he goads Gantoris to new heights of anger by showing him the Eol Sha colonists dying on Dantooine. Gantoris is pushed too far, however, and turns on his Sith master. Realizing that Gantoris is no longer his, Kun utterly drains him to provide himself a reserve of energy to last until he can subvert more students.
-Jedi Academy Sourcebook

- In the confrontation, Luke never actually attacks Kyp or Exar, is blindsided by Exar's sorcery from the flanks, and Kyp's power is directly mentioned to be the primary cause of his defeat, with Exar mainly banking on sorcery and drawing out Kyp's potential. He played a role close to what Leia did for Luke in the last duel of DE.

He's using any efensive technique he knows and that fails utterly. Meaning he's defenseless against said techniques. Noting that Luke is actually prepared with 'all the power of the Force' prior to them attacking him:

quote:
Luke dropped his useless lightsaber and crouched. His every muscle suddenly coiled and tensed. He rallied all the powers of the Force around him, seeking any defensive tactic. With the Sun Crusher looming behind him, Kyp stretched out both hands and blasted Luke with lightning bolts like black cracks in the Force. Dark tendrils rose up from the gaps in the temple flagstones, fanged, illusionary vipers that struck at him from all sides. Luke cried out and tried to strike back, but the shadows of Exar Kun joined the attack, adding more deadly force. The ancient Dark Lord of the Sith lashed out with waves of blackness, driving long icicles of frozen poison into Luke’s body.

He thrashed, but felt helpless. To lose control to anger and desperation would be as great a failure as if he did nothing at all. Luke called upon the powers that Yoda and Obi-Wan had taught him—but everything he did, every skillful technique, failed utterly. Against the full might of Kyp Durron and the forbidden weapons of the long-dead spirit of Exar Kun, even a Jedi Master such as Luke Skywalker could not prevail. The black serpent-like tentacles of evil force struck at him again and again, filling his body with a pain like lava coursing through his veins. As he screamed, his voice was swallowed by a hurricane from the dark side. Luke cried out one last time and crumpled backward to the blessedly cool flagstones of the Great Massassi Temple, as everything turned a smothering, final black around him…

- spirit Luke, presumably not drawing on the dark side nexus on Yavin at all, makes spirit Kun run away just by charging at him even after Exar was boasting about how he had several thousand years to adjust to being a spirit and so would be more powerful.

You mean that Luke tries to tackle his spirit, Kun is taken off-guard by his attempt, but Kun doesn't really care?

- DE Luke will be more willing to fight seriously than JA Luke, and he was just some elementary BM from a trainee Leia away from disarming the reborn Palpatine, who is miles above even full power Kun.

That'd be relevant if:

1.As I've mentioned prior to this, Luke had summoned 'all the power of the Force' and sought any defensive technique, prior to them attacking him. Then being incapable of striking back once Kun joined the attacked, indicating that Luke may well have been capable of attacking Kyp in return if not for Kun stopping him by adding his own attack.

2.Luke hadn't been stated to have doubled in power since DE.

3.Kun hadn't already expended energy summoning the Suncrusher prior to this contest.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2018 12:57 AM
MythLord
Diamond

Feel free to explain why:

This right there confirms Kun had his own power, thanks. BTW, why would it be a far greater amplification?

Citation needed for him being "completely inert". Seems like he didn't have trouble casting dark side tendrils or choking the air out of Luke's praxeum.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Oct 4th, 2018 01:02 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

How did you possibly read that and miss the obvious fact that Kun was feeding on emotions and, in the case of Gantoris, draining their energy completely?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2018 01:48 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

So your response to the fact that Kyp and Exar were tag teaming Luke is to point out that Kyp and Exar were tag teaming Luke?

BTW, you need a stronger citation for your only excuse for the above - that Exar Kun had been drained by drawing out the sun crusher. Corran Horn has literally no grounds to know how each event would have drained him, and Kyp himself doesn't seem particularly fatigued. The fact of the matter is that Kyp Durron is clearly the main contender in that fight according to several sources that describe Exar Kun's involvement in the context of bolstering Kyp's talents to help him win. That isn't a feat for Exar being able to win in a 1-1 fight, given that he runs away when Luke's spirit attacks him (which apparently was just because he was "caught by surprise" even though you don't seem to care that Luke was caught by surprise in his fight against the duo...hmmm...).

Not that any of this even matters because you've seemingly acknowledged that Exar Kun would be totally helpless without external power sources anyway. Funnily enough Luke's spirit wasn't dormant even though he has no such nexuses.

Last edited by The Ellimist on Oct 4th, 2018 at 02:28 PM

Old Post Oct 4th, 2018 02:18 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

How did you possibly read that and miss the obvious fact that Kun was feeding on emotions and, in the case of Gantoris, draining their energy completely?
So what you're arguing is that Kun was and could grow more powerful in that story due to external energies?

Yet, there's no possible way he could have drew on power from the dark side nexus?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2018 03:38 PM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Originally posted by MythLord
This right there confirms Kun had his own power, thanks. BTW, why would it be a far greater amplification?

Citation needed for him being "completely inert". Seems like he didn't have trouble casting dark side tendrils or choking the air out of Luke's praxeum.

You should probably read the post prior to that. Kun is forced into a slumber because he's too weak even with his spirit anchored, he can subside on the emotional energy of Force-users to prevent that. He slowly built up strength by feeding on Gantoris' emotion to make an illusion of Anakin Skywalker, when it failed his energy was drained and he was forced to taunt Gantoris into even greater hate, but Gantoris turns on him so he drains him outright. In the case of Kyp, his hate was strong enough to make his spirit quite powerful and it's the energies of Gantoris with the emotional energy provided by Kyp that Kun uses in turn to amplify Kyp. He bolsters Kyp's power slowly over time and with Kun's power he takes Luke out:

quote:
Ultimately, Kyp openly defies Luke, and aided by Exar Kun's power, places the Jedi Master in a deep trance.
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook

quote:
By augmenting his power with that of Kun, Kyp places Luke in a deep coma from which even the best New Republic doctors cannot awaken him.
- The Jedi Academy

Originally posted by One Big Mob
So what you're arguing is that Kun was and could grow more powerful in that story due to external energies?

Yet, there's no possible way he could have drew on power from the dark side nexus?

He was using the amp to anchor his spirit, as all Sith spirits did. As I've already shown, Exar Kun's spirit whilst using the emotions of Kyp Durron and the energies he obtained from draining Gantoris was a far greater amplification of Kyp than the Great Temple's focal point was.

So your response to the fact that Kyp and Exar were tag teaming Luke is to point out that Kyp and Exar were tag teaming Luke?

BTW, you need a stronger citation for your only excuse for the above - that Exar Kun had been drained by drawing out the sun crusher. Corran Horn has literally no grounds to know how each event would have drained him, and Kyp himself doesn't seem particularly fatigued. The fact of the matter is that Kyp Durron is clearly the main contender in that fight according to several sources that describe Exar Kun's involvement in the context of bolstering Kyp's talents to help him win. That isn't a feat for Exar being able to win in a 1-1 fight, given that he runs away when Luke's spirit attacks him (which apparently was just because he was "caught by surprise" even though you don't seem to care that Luke was caught by surprise in his fight against the duo...hmmm...).

Not that any of this even matters because you've seemingly acknowledged that Exar Kun would be totally helpless without external power sources anyway. Funnily enough Luke's spirit wasn't dormant even though he has no such nexuses.

Except for the fact that Luke still has the strength to attempt to strike back at Kyp. It's only when Kun intervenes and attacks Luke that he's overwhelmed properly.

Wait, so I've provided two paragraphs stating that Kun's borrowed energy can be drained quite quickly. But you're saying that Horn postulating that Kun aiding Kyp with far more strenuous activities; such as the Suncrusher feat, is suddenly baseless? It's common sense, Ell. Horn's only stating the obvious. Which is also why Kun's spirit is described as largely dormant after the fact, in two sources no less. Unless you think downing Luke is less impressive a feat than controlling animals and using an illusion on Streen. It's also telling that Kun was outright maintaining his control over Luke's spirit the whole time, which is why Luke can only return to his body when Kun's spirit is destroyed.

I've already established that an enraged Kyp couldn't overwhelm a prepared Horn. Yet when amped by Kun, whilst Kun's multitasking with his power no less, they blast Horn with TK so hard that he's knocked out. That's a pretty massive difference.

So yes, Kun's spirit without Force-users to feed off of like a parasite is pretty helpless. Indeed:

quote:
To his surprise, Kun recognises the leader to be the same man who had visited Yavin Four years earlier, Now much more powerful in the Force. Too powerful, for the moment, for Kun to handle.
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook

Ah, the glorious implications. laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 5th, 2018 12:56 AM
gold slorg
Restricted

Account Restricted

de lukd sotmps

Old Post Oct 5th, 2018 01:39 AM
Click here to Send gold slorg a Private Message Find more posts by gold slorg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StarWarsFan77
Restricted

Account Restricted

Luke

I am Darth Caedus.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2018 10:51 PM
Click here to Send StarWarsFan77 a Private Message Find more posts by StarWarsFan77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

>Literally disproving far more credible Luke reppers on the thread.
>Still claiming Luke can win.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2018 11:22 PM
StarWarsFan77
Restricted

Account Restricted

@Ap Having an opinion on a public forum is banned now. Yikes.

I am Darth Caedus.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 12:38 AM
Click here to Send StarWarsFan77 a Private Message Find more posts by StarWarsFan77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

No, but ignoring the arguments put forth by myself and Ellimist; the biggest NJO/LotF/FotJ authority on this board, is pretty inconsiderate.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2018 12:40 AM