KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Big Win for Trump and Co: The ACA (aka Obamacare) ruled unconstitional

Big Win for Trump and Co: The ACA (aka Obamacare) ruled unconstitional
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
snowdragon

quote:
The thing is people are largely pretty happy with their employer based insurance, so running on "Hey let's get rid of it" is a losing argument.

Of course because they pay into the premiums.

quote:
Also if ACA goes, that will also affect employer based health insurance - things like life time limits and what not will come back, which is not a good thing.

This affects group plans in a tiny tiny fashion, simply changing plans or renegotiating on renewls fixes this(also switching companies resets life time costs), its the people on individual plans that suffer the most with the changes.

quote:
where insurance companies would be able to turn people away for cancer treatment based on the fact that they had their tonsils removed when they were 12

Also, write in riders on renewals that don't cover TONS of procedures if they have any correlation to initial condition.

I know you like your employer insurance, my point is solely that to move to national coverage it has to go bye bye.

I also forgot to mention portability, having a group plan ties people to jobs since they can be forced into said position of lose coverage for their family, let's not get into cobra coverage.

Last edited by snowdragon on Dec 18th, 2018 at 10:07 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:03 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
The thing is people are largely pretty happy with their employer based insurance, so running on "Hey let's get rid of it" is a losing argument.

Also if ACA goes, that will also affect employer based health insurance - things like life time limits and what not will come back, which is not a good thing.

If we could transition directly from ACA to a full single payer system then that'd be fine, but that's not in the cards right now and probably won't be anytime soon. What will happen is that if ACA goes then we'll revert to how it was before ACA, where insurance companies would be able to turn people away for cancer treatment based on the fact that they had their tonsils removed when they were 12. People with pre-existing conditions would be ****ed on the federal level. However, I imagine most heavily blue states would implement similar protections to ACA on a state level so that's something at least.

In the end though this ruling probably will be overturned either in appeals or by the supreme court. The supreme court has already ruled in favor of ACA being constitutional twice now, no reason to think they would change that now.

Wasn't aware of the ACA tear down also possibly affecting EBHI. That's potentially troubling.

I don't share you're faith, the SC is different now and so is the ACA due the Trump Admin's tampering. We're looking at a different game.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:06 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The SC isn't really that different. The five judges who ruled that ACA was constitutional are still there.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:09 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by snowdragon
Of course because they pay into the premiums.

This affects group plans in a tiny tiny fashion, simply changing plans or renegotiating on renewls fixes this(also switching companies resets life time costs), its the people on individual plans that suffer the most with the changes.

Also, write in riders on renewals that don't cover TONS of procedures if they have any correlation to initial condition.

I know you like your employer insurance, my point is solely that to move to national coverage it has to go bye bye.

I also forgot to mention portability, having a group plan ties people to jobs since they can be forced into said position of lose coverage for their family, let's not get into cobra coverage.

Just to clarify, I don't actually get employer-based insurance, I buy it myself on the marketplace. But I know people who do have it usually like it.

I'm not disagreeing with you, really. It is true that in order to move to a nationwide system we will need to get rid of it, and the downside that it ties you to your employer and makes changing jobs/losing jobs worse than it needs to be is also very true. I myself would prefer a full single-payer system to what we have now. My point was simply that packaging that argument to appeal to people who are generally pretty happy with their employer-based coverage is going to be difficult if not impossible.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:18 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Which was one of Obama's points.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:21 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

The SC isn't really that different. The five judges who ruled that ACA was constitutional are still there.

My bad, true enough. I still don't share your faith though; hopefully I'm wrong.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:23 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Robtard
It's like burning the parachute you're currently using and there isn't a soft body of water for you to dive in. Have the pool below you built first, before doing the stunt.

You mean a transition period?

How about no. "2021, medicare for all. ACA disappears."

No transition period. Burn it to the ground. mad

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:23 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

If we could transition directly from ACA to a full single payer system then that'd be fine, but that's not in the cards right now and probably won't be anytime soon.

Which is both true and sad. Sometimes, I detest my ignorant, obstinate, fellow Americans for this.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:26 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I disagree with the idea this is a win for Trump. Merely because I find it highly doubtful this ruling won't be struck down via appeal.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:26 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Surtur
I disagree with the idea this is a win for Trump. Merely because I find it highly doubtful this ruling won't be struck down via appeal.

You're just saying that and hoping it's struck down because you stand to lose your County Care, which is a facet of Obamacare.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:35 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

You're just saying that and hoping it's struck down because you stand to lose your County Care, which is a facet of Obamacare.

I'm saying it because it's true...it's why I'm not worried. It's also why it's silly for Trump to celebrate.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2018 10:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Trump has renewed his vow to completely destroy the ACA, all facets about it, which includes the preexisting conditions clause.

He’s circumventing congress and going through the courts, if it passes in the lower courts it will be shot up to the Supreme Court and he could potentially get his win there. Rejoice Trumpers, this is what you voted for.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 03:23 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

What will happen to disabled people in the US Rob?

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 03:26 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

If the ACA is torn down completely as a is the plan without something else ready to go, we’ll probably go back to how it was before, millions of uninsured and insurance companies turning away or pricing out people they deem too risky to offer coverage. eg The elderly couple on a fixed income, the guy with the previous back injury, the baby born with a faulty heart. From an insurance standpoint, those people cost money, as their monthly premiums won’t cover their medical expenses.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 03:35 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's inhuman, more like what I see out here than in the first world.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 03:40 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Then again, mega corporations like insurance companies always do the right thing now when left to their devices, always, so meh.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 03:42 PM
mike brown

If that's all you want to focus on, cool, you do that.

I'd rather not go without health insurance. eg my wife a month ago had a severe allergic reaction, she ended up in the emergency room and had to stay overnight (never figured out what was the cause even after a battery of test), that one night stay cost $19,871.16. We only had to pay $500.00 of that out of pocket. Now imagine being someone who that happens too and you've lost your insurance. No thank you. That's what 12million people on the ACA have to worry about now.
this happened to my dad when he crashed his van. 30k hospital bill, no insurance. Never paid it. Died a few years later of cancer. That's what happens without insurance... The cost is passed on to the hospital which has to have an open emergency room policy in order to benefit from govt programs like Medicare.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 04:14 PM
mike brown is currently offline Click here to Send mike brown a Private Message Find more posts by mike brown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Sorry to hear that, sounds awful. But we have insurance through employers, why we only paid a nothing $500.00 out of pocket compared to the almost $20K for a one-night hospital stay.

I think tax payers end up eating those costs, why it's stupid to not just have a decent universal healthcare.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 04:52 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Putinbot1
What will happen to disabled people in the US Rob?

Disabled people will still use Medicaid just like before, during, and after ACA.

Don't buy into the fear-mongering that Democrats have been propagandizing to the world about the ACA.

The ACA increased medical costs (faster than what it was before). It also increased the out of pocket costs for the average American.

Here's the kicker:

quote:
...in the first couple of years after Obamacare really kicked in — 2014 and '15 — out-of-pocket payments dropped by an average of $74.

quote:
...meanwhile, the insurance premiums that households paid rose by an average of $232.

And this is what they concluded from their outdated study:

quote:
I have to admit this is a little underwhelming. We have devoted so much attention and so much political wrangling to Obamacare over the last years, and this study is telling us that at least in the first couple of years, and in terms of household costs, it's been something of a wash.

I feel the same way. What Dr. Goldman, the lead researcher, commented about that is, look, the ACA was the biggest reform of the health care system since 1965, and to get passed it had to involve a lot of political compromise:

'It was nowhere near as radical as it could have been,' she said. 'I think that a single-payer plan, for example, which many Democrats on the more progressive side of the party were advocating for, would have been much more effective in reducing medical spending by all American households, certainly for people in poor and low-income households — no co-payments, no deductibles, no premiums."

https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2...sehold-spending

What I've been saying.

Medicare for all.

Here are the findings of a very large research group's look into the ACA over time:

quote:
Today, 45 percent of U.S. adults ages 19 to 64 are inadequately insured — nearly the same as in 2010 — though important shifts have taken place.

Compared to 2010, many fewer adults are uninsured today, and the duration of coverage gaps people experience has shortened significantly.

Despite actions by the Trump administration and Congress to weaken the ACA, the adult uninsured rate was 12.4 percent in 2018 in this survey, statistically unchanged from the last time we fielded the survey in 2016.

More people who have coverage are underinsured now than in 2010, with the greatest increase occurring among those in employer plans.

People who are underinsured or spend any time uninsured report cost-related problems getting care and difficulty paying medical bills at at higher rates than those with continuous, adequate coverage.

Federal and state governments could enact policies to extend the ACA’s health coverage gains and improve the cost protection provided by individual-market and employer plans.

And as you can read, they are definitely anti-Trump.

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pu...years-after-aca

Here's what it boils down to:

The very poor have better access to healthcare plans. But the costs on their out of pocket costs are so high that any critical life event makes the coverage meaningless. $1,000 out of pocket for a single mother of 2 who makes $20k a year is too much. It's retarded that she should pay anything like that.

Most Americans, who get their insurance through employers, were harmed by the ACA. That's 158-ish million Americans.

Insurance companies benefited the most from ACA.

Kill ACA and implement Medicare for All, ASAP. Medicare for All would be a better version of NHS if implemented effectively.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 05:37 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

In regards to disabled people, that's only if they qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance. It also take two years for it to kick in after they're entitled.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 05:51 PM