KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Alpha (2018)

Alpha (2018)
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Alpha (2018)

I just watched this last night and really, really liked it. I'm not even a dog person, and I really liked it.

It was a bit grittier than I was expecting. At least some parts. There was a part or two where it was obvious they had to keep it PG-13, but it's a gorgeously filmed survival, adventure flick (even if a little ridiculous at times). I might be a little biased because it does demonstrate some similarities to Riddick (2013) with the canine-esque companion and survival elements. Plus I loved seeing some of the prehistoric animals, like Woolly Mammoth and such. But it's a lean 90 minutes and well-paced. I realized after the fact that one of the Hughes brothers (Book of Eli, From Hell) directed it. That explains why it was so beautifully done. I honestly am not sure if some of the close-up shots of the wolf were CGI or not. Some of them had to have been, but I couldn't tell. Does anyone know? (I may have to watch some special features to find out..)

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 18th, 2019 07:04 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Ah, I did want to watch this but at home, but totally forgot about it. Will check it out later this week.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 18th, 2019 07:17 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Small world. Lol. Watched it on Netflix barely 2 hours ago. Really liked it, too.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2019 07:23 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

The lead actor kid in the movie (who does quite a good job) looked familiar to me and it's because I've seen him in 3 other things...

The Road (2009)
Let Me In (2010)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

It would be fun to see more movies in this 'world' (so to speak). Prequels or sequels. It's just a big canvas for all sorts of creativity and cool stuff.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 06:44 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Caught this last night, was overall decent for a family feel-good flick. CGI was really low-rent at times though.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 06:51 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Loved the film

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 06:54 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Caught this last night, was overall decent for a family feel-good flick. CGI was really low-rent at times though.

Yeah, "feel good" [SPOILER - highlight to read]: by the end at least, haha.. I mean, watching a movie like this you know it's not going to have a miserable ending... ...so in that sense there wasn't much suspense.

And yeah, I wish the part with the Saber-tooth Tiger was done better. The CGI was too dark and probably questionable there, but most of the rest of it was excellent.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 06:55 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Is it as good as 10,000 BC was.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 07:07 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I found this better than 10,000 BC despite the shoddy (at times) CGI, but they're entirely different films despite a similar setting.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 07:12 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, "feel good" [SPOILER - highlight to read]: by the end at least, haha.. I mean, watching a movie like this you know it's not going to have a miserable ending... ...so in that sense there wasn't much suspense.

And yeah, I wish the part with the Saber-tooth Tiger was done better. The CGI was too dark and probably questionable there, but most of the rest of it was excellent.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: I wasn't 100% sure if the wolf was going to live, thought it might have had a "my sacrifice for you" spin to it at the end with the wolf doing something epic to save the kid.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 07:14 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Oh, yeah. Good point.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: I guess I just didn't expect anything that sad. Personally I thought the ending was very charming and quite badass. Tribe sporting some new wolf companions. It's interesting to note that that's not how dog domestication happened, but that doesn't mean that it didn't ever happen I guess.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 07:25 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

It's not unreasonable to think that didn't occur sometimes

Old Post Mar 20th, 2019 07:36 PM