KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Revisiting Man of Steel

Revisiting Man of Steel
Started by: BrolyBlack

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ShadowFyre

Hands down one of my favorite heroes movies period. Cavill ****ing nails a realistic Superman. Im sorry people die when buildings fall over. Shit happens. As a Marvel fan, I'm sorry but that ****ing Smallville fight absolutely shits on everybody else and I loved it. Not powerlevel wise, it just felt right and like.that is how a fight would look like. Thor vs. Malekith got the collateral damage and power levels and stuff right but the grittiness that DC used made it just amazing for me.

Besides that ummmmmmmm the tornado thing was beyond ****ing dumb

Everything else from DC besides WW, Aquaman and Shazam was ****ing garbage.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2020 01:32 AM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Hands down one of my favorite heroes movies period. Cavill ****ing nails a realistic Superman. Im sorry people die when buildings fall over. Shit happens. As a Marvel fan, I'm sorry but that ****ing Smallville fight absolutely shits on everybody else and I loved it. Not powerlevel wise, it just felt right and like.that is how a fight would look like. Thor vs. Malekith got the collateral damage and power levels and stuff right but the grittiness that DC used made it just amazing for me.

Besides that ummmmmmmm the tornado thing was beyond ****ing dumb

Everything else from DC besides WW, Aquaman and Shazam was ****ing garbage.

I feel the same way. Not only was this a realistic depiction of what would happen when two super powered beings fight in a city, but Superman was a noob. He saved a few people during his life, but he wasn't an active superhero. And when he first starts out it's not a bank robbery or something he is stopping, but a dude who has powers and was bred to fight.

How much more destruction could Zod have caused if Superman stopped to go try to save people? And he had to kill Zod. There wasn't a prison on earth that could hold him. He didn't know about kryptonite either, and even if he did it's not like they had some sort of prison cell they could flood with just enough kryptonite radiation to weaken him on standby.

Superman shouldn't be perfect, this isn't a silver age comic book. There have been rumors Cavill will take up the role again, I hope he does.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2020 02:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

It is my favorite Superman movie, and in the top three of my favorite superhero movies, period. Given the subject matter, it was as realistically done as could be, especially his being considered a potential threat to national security. I loved what they did with his suit; the fight scenes; the music. Just superb in so many ways.

That movie almost, Almost made me change my Surfer signature. And it did inspire this amalgam I call Synergy, (which was my avatar while the movie was current):

Attachment: synergy.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2020 04:05 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

I loved Man of Steel. But then, I used to be obsessed with everything Superman-related. Also enjoyed Superman Returns a great deal despite all of the hate it gets from most people.

No Superman actor will ever fill the shoes of the great Christopher Reeve though. The first two Reeve films are the greatest Superman films of all-time, imo. Actually, imo, they are the greatest comic book films of all-time.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jul 26th, 2020 12:25 AM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Well, looking back on it, I'd say it still blew giraffe cock.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2020 01:37 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

My problem with Reeves is I find his version of Superman corny.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2020 02:27 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Insane Titan
I enjoyed MOS a lot. The fight between him and Zod imo was great way to show the real destruction that would be caused by to Super beings going at it.

That fight and Superman's earlier confrontations with Zod were part of the reason I took a while to warm to this film, because Superman was being needlessly destructive and not caring about the safety of civilians. I eventually rationalized it as him still learning to control his whole power range (plus his temper) and he did learn to put the safety of bystanders first.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 26th, 2020 05:52 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
My problem with Reeves is I find his version of Superman corny.

Not me. His version of Clark is but I like it like that. Clark pretending to be a bumbling, stumbling idiot as part of his disguise also makes me laugh.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Jul 26th, 2020 at 06:03 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2020 06:00 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

It's between Shazam! and Man of Steel for my favorite DCEU movie, which is funny because you have on one hand the classic DC kid ultimate light-hearted action-fantasy with some comedy and family drama in Shazam! contrasted with the serious and grim sci-fi treatment of Superman in Man of Steel.

It's action scenes are still possibly second to none within the comic book movie realm and possibly cinema in general. Only The Matrix Revolutions' Neodammerung fight being equal in terms of an over-the-top final flight clash, and X-Men's Quicksilver sequences and Iron Man/Dr. Strange vs Thanos being possibly as good or better comic book action/fight scenes.

It's score, yes Broly, is fantastic. The nostalgist in me will always have a spot for John Williams' Superman: The Movie score, and Danny Elfman's Batman '89 score is still number one superhero movie score period, but Zimmer had lightning hit twice with Nolan Batman trilogy (especially The Dark Knight) work and then Man of Steel. Ludwig Goransson's Black Panther score and Michael Kamen's work on the X-Men films are up there too, along with Elfman again on the Raimi Spider-Man flicks.

The visuals, cinematography, and sound mixing and editing are top-notch, second to none. Nothing to say but great things on that front.

The main two issues I have are similar to every posters' here: whether the film was good, bad, or ugly to you, the plot and editing left some things to be desired. It was jarring at the midnight showing I went to opening day.

You go from Kal learning his powers right to Jon Kent dying via twister when his adopted son is Superman?! Reeves Superman turned a tornado upside down, and this Superman goes into exile angst mode because he dad tells him to talk to the hand and makes a completely unnecessary sacrifice. Why not have Supes leave home to start his hero's journey, and Jon dies because Kal is off saving other people half the world away? Makes far more sense than a kamikaze tornado.

Mike Shannon's Zod wants to terraform Earth into Krypton instead of living with superpowers and taking over the world ala Terence Stamp and crew from Superman II, and the script gave Shannon little to do besides yell and get beat down. Wasted casting there.

Also, the reaction to the destruction and Zod neck-snapping (one of the greatest moments in comic book film IMO) was waaaaaaaay overboard. The DCEU should've seen through a MoS 2, a solo Batman movie, Wonder Woman, etc. well prior to any type of BvS or Justice League. Instead they played catchup one movie in to the MCU. Dumb.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2020 05:43 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I read that they did toy with ending the movie with Superman putting Zod into one of those pods from the ship and tossing it into space, but only a pussy would do that.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2020 08:03 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Not me. His version of Clark is but I like it like that. Clark pretending to be a bumbling, stumbling idiot as part of his disguise also makes me laugh.

Yeah the funny thing is technically Reeves Superman is also Routh Superman from Superman Returns and so...yeah, his Lois and Jimmy both end up getting murdered by the Joker(as does everyone else at the daily planet)

Ha fun times!

Old Post Jul 27th, 2020 08:05 PM
John Murdoch

Originally posted by Surtur
I read that they did toy with ending the movie with Superman putting Zod into one of those pods from the ship and tossing it into space, but only a pussy would do that.

lol Cavillman has no time for such things.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2020 04:44 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

I've always believed that while Man Of Steel most certainly faltered in fully honoring the legacy of Superman, Cavil was still an awe-inspiring hero, and MOS still remains the all-time best alien invasion movie ever made IMO.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 04:01 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I loved it despite its problems. Cavill is a great casting as Supes (though they should have given him more to work with as Clark), and Zod was a FANTASTIC villain. Other than them, the rest of the cast was meh. Still, it's the best of the DCEU movies to this day. Kind of disappointing knowing it'll all be eventually rebooted and they'll have to recast Supes.

EDIT: Also, I'm one of those simpletons who was blown away by the DBZ fight at the end regardless of the implications lmao. I'd still love the movie for that fight alone if not for Zod being great. Also, the intro with Krypton was really good. I wish that was its own movie.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Aug 2nd, 2020 at 09:08 PM

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 09:04 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

I found it to be pretty mediocre, it had a lot of cool moments, but it was also too depressing and boring at the same time.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2020 04:44 PM
YousufKhan1212 is currently offline Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HulkIsHulk

Its just okay. Like Shazam. As someone said, compared to the trash that is BVS and JL, it looks good. And I liked Suicide Squad.
Unfortunately they don't compare to the awesome WW and AM.

Thanks for the sig Scot-and for the help with my avatar
When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown but only 4 to reach out and bchslap them upside down on their head

Old Post Aug 5th, 2020 05:27 PM
HulkIsHulk is currently offline Click here to Send HulkIsHulk a Private Message Find more posts by HulkIsHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote