KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Asajj Ventress vs Darth Maul

Asajj Ventress vs Darth Maul
Started by: juggernaut74

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Filoni stated it was a legit feat.

But then canon authors have ignored dark side nexus amps for the most part

Filoni's statements don't override what the official material says i.e. StarWars.Com.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2020 02:41 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
Filoni's statements don't override what the official material says i.e. StarWars.Com.

They dont need to, given his comments dont contradict the official material.

The win was legit though as per Filoni.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2020 02:57 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

They dont need to, given his comments dont contradict the official material.

The win was legit though as per Filoni.

No statements from any creators are canonical in and of themselves, and I wasn't disputing that Ventress defeated Grievous because that's not mutually exclusive with the Dark Side Nexus of Dathomir empowering her. Can I see the exact wording of Filoni's comments of their fight?

Old Post Jan 30th, 2020 03:11 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

No statements from any creators are canonical in and of themselves, and I wasn't disputing that Ventress defeated Grievous because that's not mutually exclusive with the Dark Side Nexus of Dathomir empowering her. Can I see the exact wording of Filoni's comments of their fight?

Director commentary is usual used. Just like we use Lucas commentary of the films.

And you are right Ventress superiority being legit is not mutually exclusive with her being amped by a dark side nexus, as it just means she will win with or without that amp.

I will provide the quote later. In the meantime you can provide the quote that states Ventress was amped.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2020 04:11 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Director commentary is usual used. Just like we use Lucas commentary of the films.

And you are right Ventress superiority being legit is not mutually exclusive with her being amped by a dark side nexus, as it just means she will win with or without that amp.

I will provide the quote later. In the meantime you can provide the quote that states Ventress was amped.

OK, I'll wait for you to retrieve Filoni's quote before I comment more on the Ventress vs Grievous fight. Force Nexuses do exist in Canon in some capacity, and Dathomir is an implied Dark Side Nexus:

quote:
"The Nightsisters rule was but a memory, but Dathomir remained steeped in Dark Side powers. Ventress returned to her homeworld with Quinlan Vos to train her lover in Dark Side magic. After she died, Vos laid her to rest on Dathomir alongside her sisters." ― StarWars.com: Dathomir History Gallery.

^ Scroll down to the 16th image of the history gallery and you'll find it.

So the official SW site describes Dathomir as being "steeped in Dark Side powers," which sounds like a description of a Dark Side Nexus, so the Nightsister inhabitants would logically be empowered beyond their regular abilities. This is confirmed by Maul:

quote:
Ezra: These witches, they used the Force?

Maul: In some aspect, yes. But it was their connection to this planet that made them strong. That is why we are here - to perform... Some old magic.

Maul & Ezra arrive on Dathomir

Maul says that the witches i.e. another term for the Nightsisters, had a connection with the planet that made them strong, and we know that Ventress is a nightsister:

quote:
"An assassin trained in the ways of the Dark Side by Count Dooku, Asajj Ventress yearned to be considered a true Sith, but such status wasn't allowed under the Sith's Rule of Two. Ventress fought with twin red-bladed lightsabers, and clashed with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker many times. But her destiny would not lie with the Sith. After Dooku rejected her as his apprentice and tried to kill her, Ventress returned to her roots as a Nightsister, made a living as a bounty hunter, and – in the strangest twist of all – rediscovered the way of the light that she’d rejected long ago as a Jedi Padawan." ― Databank: Asajj Ventress.

This is also shown in the show itself, when Mother Talzin says "She is one of us," to the other Nightsisters that attacked Ventress without realising what she was, and Dooku also knows this, hence why he says "Savage, you could make amends for your mistake by destroying this witch!"

Old Post Jan 30th, 2020 06:14 PM
Darth Thor

^ Okay thats more related to Dathomir amping Nightsisters, than it is about a dark side nexus amping dark siders.

And I agree that much is quite clear.

However unless Ventress was actually using nightsister magic, I fail to see the relevance. She was a trained force user (more so in the dark side), and wasnt well versed in nightsister magic as far as we know.

And Even as a dark sider, she already seemed to be on her path to redemption by that point.

Anyway will post Filonis later when im on my laptop (hardly ever post on KMC from a laptop anymore).

Old Post Jan 30th, 2020 09:12 PM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

SW.com describes it as being “steeped in Dark Side powers,” meaning that it is strong with the Dark Side of the Force. A Dark Sider like Ventress would definitely be empowered by a planet like that. And Ventress was still a homicidal Dark Sider when she fought Grievous on Dathomir.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2020 10:05 AM
Darth Thor

Steeped in dark side powers can mean a variety things. Like all the weird ass magic they do.

In any case darksiders getting a combat amp because a planet is steeped in the dark side has not been confirmed anywhere in canon. Though it does apply to Legends.

Also what homicidal behaviour did we see from her at that point?

Old Post Jan 31st, 2020 12:27 PM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Steeped in dark side powers can mean a variety things.

Yes but it clearly means that it's strong with the Dark Side of the Force, hence why it says "Dark Side powers". A planet with powers described like that would evidently empower Force users that use the Dark Side because Dark Siders not only have their own strength to draw on (anger, hatred, malice etc.) but also the planet's Dark Side powers.

Like all the weird ass magic they do.

That doesn't actually help your point, but helps mine because the nature of Nightsister magic is really similiar to Sith sorcery, hence why Talzin's magic transformed Savage into a massive hate filled Dark Side warrior:

quote:
"Mother Talzin’s cruel magic transformed Savage into a massive, hate-filled Dark-Side warrior. On Ventress’s orders, he killed the brother he had fought to save. Talzin brought Savage to Count Dooku, who trained him ruthlessly in the ways of the Force and sent him on missions to Devaron and Toydaria." ― Databank: Savage Opress.

As the official SW site says, Savage became filled with hate and and Dark Side as a result of Talzin's magic.

In any case darksiders getting a combat amp because a planet is steeped in the dark side has not been confirmed anywhere in canon. Though it does apply to Legends.

I'd say it does because absence of evidence isn't necessarily evidence of absence, mainly because that Canon is using Legends to flesh out their own lore. Filoni and his creative team may not pay attention to Force Nexuses and how they work, but the Rebels creative team are only a small number of the Lucasfilm staff who are involved in Star Wars projects, so the notion of them failing to realise Force Nexuses and stuff doesn't rule it out.

Also what homicidal behaviour did we see from her at that point?

The fact that she is screaming like a typical Dark Sider while fighting Grievous: https://youtu.be/TWGYnSUDdRY?t=60

And she already hates Grievous anyway.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2020 06:48 PM
IdrisianGraecus

Maul's performance against the Inqs in Rebels was >>> Ahsoka's, and considering Maul was holding back, trying to appear feeble (why would he say he can't kill Vader alone but turn on his teammates?) as well as it being "the logical choice" to send him with Ezra (the weakest Jedi) is evident of his superiority to her. Ahsoka's performance against Vader is something Ventress cannot replicate.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2020 12:15 AM
Click here to Send IdrisianGraecus a Private Message Find more posts by IdrisianGraecus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I'd say it does because absence of evidence isn't necessarily evidence of absence, mainly because that Canon is using Legends to flesh out their own lore. Filoni and his creative team may not pay attention to Force Nexuses and how they work, but the Rebels creative team are only a small number of the Lucasfilm staff who are involved in Star Wars projects, so the notion of them failing to realise Force Nexuses and stuff doesn't rule it out.

So who does use Dark Side nexus to boost combat abilities in canon? Which Author has stated that in which canon novel or comic?

It's not just Filoni, but also Pablo Hidalgo and Matt Smith. IOW even the Story Group hasn't given it much thought, yet you're acting as if it's canon that Ventress only beat Grievous due to some major amp erm

In any case here is Filoni's commentary of the fight:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/03/...season-4?page=3

Relevant comment:

"I still don't believe that, at this point -- one-to-one -- that Grievous could really take out someone like Ventress in a lightsaber fight."

Now I don't want you twisting his commentary of his. You can make the argument that not everything he says is necessarily canon, but if you twist his words to pretend he didn't actually mean Ventress is better than Grievous in sabers when that's exactly what he said, then I'm done here.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2020 02:24 PM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

So who does use Dark Side nexus to boost combat abilities in canon?

Dark Siders would use it because they use the Dark Side of the Force and a nexus gives them more of that :/

Which Author has stated that in which canon novel or comic?

None from what I'm aware (if you're talking about Dathomir), I'm going by holistic intent, not statements, because canon takes inspiration from Legends a lot, to the point they reprint stuff from Legends stuff into Canon stuff e.g. Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force.

[BIt's not just Filoni, but also Pablo Hidalgo and Matt Smith. IOW even the Story Group hasn't given it much thought, yet you're acting as if it's canon that Ventress only beat Grievous due to some major amp erm[/B]

I don't think it's factual that Ventress was amped in canon but it's likely. And when Pablo Hidalgo was asked about if Vader was empowered by Malachor on twitter, he said it's possible but didn't confirm it or disconfirm it.

In any case here is Filoni's commentary of the fight:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/03/...season-4?page=3

Relevant comment:

"I still don't believe that, at this point -- one-to-one -- that Grievous could really take out someone like Ventress in a lightsaber fight."

Now I don't want you twisting his commentary of his. You can make the argument that not everything he says is necessarily canon, but if you twist his words to pretend he didn't actually mean Ventress is better than Grievous in sabers when that's exactly what he said, then I'm done here.

Filoni has made himself clear in that article, but in his statement he says that "I still don't believe" that Grievous would beat Ventress, so it's his arbitrary opinion as he explicitly says. Leland Chee IIRC, has said that the opinions of SW officials aren't canon because they have their own biases, and Filoni's incredulity sounds biased.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2020 02:59 PM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think Dathomir is meant to be a Dark Side nexus, this source heavily implies it is:

quote:
"The planet had a strong connection to the Force... This presence was tapped into by Allya, a rogue Jedi who had been expelled by the Order and exiled to Dathomir." -- The Official Star Wars Fact Files Relaunched.

The source above is either from 2013 or 2014, it was published after the existence of TCW. There's more sources reinforcing it:

quote:
"This planet resonates with the Dark Side of the Force." -- Empire at War: Forces of Corruption.

quote:
"DATHOMIR: Shadowy Force-sensitive world of the Nightsisters." -- The Official Star Wars Fact Files Relaunched.

quote:
"The Dark Side saturates Dathomir..." -- Star Wars Republic: Infinity's End.

And we also have Maul's statement confirming that Dathomir is what made the nightsister witches strong.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2020 01:54 PM
xPRIMEx

Maul wins.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2020 09:19 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I just rewatched the Ventress/Kenobo vs Maul/Opress battle on the YouTube and noticed Ventress seemed to hold her own against Maul whenever they battled. I don't know if fighting with one lightsaber affected her ability because her style relies on two sabers.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2020 08:27 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by juggernaut74
I just rewatched the Ventress/Kenobo vs Maul/Opress battle on the YouTube and noticed Ventress seemed to hold her own against Maul whenever they battled. I don't know if fighting with one lightsaber affected her ability because her style relies on two sabers.

If you're going to argue that fighting with one lightsaber affected her ability, then I can also argue the same thing for Maul because there are multiple quotes indicating that Maul is better than two blades than 1 blade, one source i.e. Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force, even saying that Maul finds a single blade "far too limiting" to be blunt. Moreover, you're also neglecting to mention that version of Maul i.e. TCW S4 Maul, is inferior to his TPM self, let alone his SoD self, because it's the first lightsaber fight he's been in for 12 years, so he's barely gotten over ring rust in that episode, and throughout the course of TCW, much of his growth is basically shaking of 12 years of rust, it's only when Maul has taken over Mandalore that he has finally surpassed his TPM self. Morever, the same version of Maul in that fight, is fighting with a pair of chicken legs that were explicitly stated to be inferior to his mandalorian legs because these chicken legs hampered Maul's ability to incorporate martial arts and acrobatics in his fighting style, whereas Maul's mandalorian legs didn't, given that they had the same build as his organic Zabrack legs prior to being separated. SoD Maul > TPM Maul > TCW S4 Maul.

StarWars.com also states that both Ventress and Savage were overwhelmed by the "raw power" of Maul and Savage, which is why they retreated, meaning that if they hadn't retreated, they would've eventually died, and considering the fact that Ventress and Maul were fighting each other in the final moments of the battle, this means that Maul would've eventually overwhelmed Ventress through "raw power" if she hadn't retreated.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 11:59 AM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

If you're going to argue that fighting with one lightsaber affected her ability, then I can also argue the same thing for Maul because there are multiple quotes indicating that Maul is better than two blades than 1 blade, one source i.e. Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force, even saying that Maul finds a single blade "far too limiting" to be blunt. Moreover, you're also neglecting to mention that version of Maul i.e. TCW S4 Maul, is inferior to his TPM self, let alone his SoD self, because it's the first lightsaber fight he's been in for 12 years, so he's barely gotten over ring rust in that episode, and throughout the course of TCW, much of his growth is basically shaking of 12 years of rust, it's only when Maul has taken over Mandalore that he has finally surpassed his TPM self. Morever, the same version of Maul in that fight, is fighting with a pair of chicken legs that were explicitly stated to be inferior to his mandalorian legs because these chicken legs hampered Maul's ability to incorporate martial arts and acrobatics in his fighting style, whereas Maul's mandalorian legs didn't, given that they had the same build as his organic Zabrack legs prior to being separated. SoD Maul > TPM Maul > TCW S4 Maul.

StarWars.com also states that both Ventress and Savage were overwhelmed by the "raw power" of Maul and Savage, which is why they retreated, meaning that if they hadn't retreated, they would've eventually died, and considering the fact that Ventress and Maul were fighting each other in the final moments of the battle, this means that Maul would've eventually overwhelmed Ventress through "raw power" if she hadn't retreated.
Ok I see you seem to think that I think Ventress wins, which I don't.

1. I didn't say it effected just that maybe it did(and I knew you'd come back with Maul only using a single blade).

2. So your saying an inferior S4 Maul can overpower a Jedi Master Kenobi? Because I recall Kenobi doing just fine against these two by himself and even chopping Savages arm off.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Last edited by juggernaut74 on Apr 19th, 2020 at 01:06 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 12:55 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Maul wins. But it's fairly close. Kenobi, Ventress, and Maul are all on a similar level during TCW.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 02:38 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Ok I see you seem to think that I think Ventress wins, which I don't.

1. I didn't say it effected just that maybe it did(and I knew you'd come back with Maul only using a single blade).

2. So your saying an inferior S4 Maul can overpower a Jedi Master Kenobi? Because I recall Kenobi doing just fine against these two by himself and even chopping Savages arm off.

1. Cool. If it did affect Ventress, the same would apply to Maul.

2. No? Which version of "Jedi Master" Kenobi are you talking about? Kenobi in S5 beat Maul and Savage through an environmental advantage that limited the brother's movements, which is Sokan use on Obi-Wan's part. Plus, Kenobi was using Jar Kai at that point, which is optimized for multiple opponents.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 03:46 PM
Scizard

What is Maul's best feat?

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 03:48 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote