KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » You become the head of Marvel or DC

You become the head of Marvel or DC
Started by: MrMind

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SquallX
I thought Morrison was Scottish?

He is.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2020 10:35 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
He is.

Scotland is part of Great Britain, making him British.

It’s true Scotland falls under Great Britain, but I always thought Scott’s have their own identity? As in they don’t consider themselves British?

Old Post Feb 17th, 2020 10:35 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Define better.

Because Marvel/Disney is doing amazingly well atm.

I'm assuming that is up to the readers interpretation. They could be doing well money wise but fans are unhappy I suppose.

Marvel. I would turn Iceman gay.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2020 11:03 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrMind

iceman is already gay, anymore out of the closet he'd be flaming

Old Post Feb 17th, 2020 11:06 PM
MrMind is currently offline Click here to Send MrMind a Private Message Find more posts by MrMind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by ShadowFyre
I'm assuming that is up to the readers interpretation. They could be doing well money wise but fans are unhappy I suppose.

Marvel. I would turn Iceman gay.

Turn Iceman gay laughing

Old Post Feb 17th, 2020 11:08 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrMind

But those would be six glorious issues though.

maybe, I don't like his current run on Green Lantern. It's going too slow.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2020 11:10 PM
MrMind is currently offline Click here to Send MrMind a Private Message Find more posts by MrMind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

I don't know what I would actually do. I would probably change a few Thor things but at the end of the day, I know I wouldn't be a great writer so I would just concentrate on running the business well and hiring good writers and trying to make sure everybody was happy and doing the characters justice.

Being consistent with character portrayals would be a big deal of mine

Old Post Feb 17th, 2020 11:10 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by MrMind
maybe, I don't like his current run on Green Lantern. It's going too slow.

That’s always been Morrison’s MO. Though i can understand slow pacing is not for everyone.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 12:43 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: You become the head of Marvel or DC

You can choose marvel or dc, not both

you become the publisher, editor and the top writer

what decision would you make to change the company for the better

I'd follow the data of who spends more, and pander to that audience.

Which at the moment tends to be lgbtq, minorities, and women.

I would totally neglect the basement dwelling core audience, as they have less disposable income, and are a relic of a bygone era displaced by changing demographics.

To that end, Thor would become a fluid gender multiracial atheist, with Asgard only existing as an ironic chip 'n dales renamed ass-guard.

Pretty much the opposite of what Marvel is doing.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 01:16 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

CW is for teenagers

There is a lot more to "small screen DC" than just CW. Aside from the 6 CW shows (Arrow, Flash, SG, Legends, Black Lightning, Batwoman) we have 9 current/recent shows like Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing. Gotham, Krypton, Pennyworth, Lucifer, and watchmen.

Historically we have Smallville, Superboy, Human Target (2 series), Lois and Clark. Further back Shazam, Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Isis,

Compare to netflix shows (DD, Luke Cage, IF, Jessica Jones, Defenders), agents of shield, Inhumans, cloak and dagger, runnaways, gifted and historically Hulk, Spiderman plus Mutant x which is loosely linked at best. Upc

Also Well past a teen, and I enjoy several of the CW DC shows.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 11:51 AM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Re: Re: You become the head of Marvel or DC

Originally posted by cdtm
I'd follow the data of who spends more, and pander to that audience.

Which at the moment tends to be lgbtq, minorities, and women.

I would totally neglect the basement dwelling core audience, as they have less disposable income, and are a relic of a bygone era displaced by changing demographics.

To that end, Thor would become a fluid gender multiracial atheist, with Asgard only existing as an ironic chip 'n dales renamed ass-guard.

Pretty much the opposite of what Marvel is doing.

Late teens and 20 somethings spend more. They have less financial committments. Back in the 90s the ten network in Australia stopped competing in the ratings war and changed their line up to cater to that age group. Despite not getting anywjere near top ratings they ended ul charging more for their advertising and spending less on the shows because advertisers would pay more to advertise to that market group because they spend a lot higher percentage of what they earn.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 11:57 AM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Whichever of the big two I took over at I'd get Roy Thomas back to write and to create the company editorial line.

If anyone can restore what was good about characters in their best incanarion write away what was crap AND come up with a plausible story that retains the canon of both in the process it would be Roy.

If I was at DC I'd also make up with Robinson and give him free reign on any title he wanted, Mike Grell would also get his pick of titles. I'd love to see him and Roy Thomas work together on a book. I'm getting images of a Conan and Warlord team-up. I'd also hire Gary Chaloner and Tad Pietrzykowski just so I could see Dark Nebula, Jackaroo, Nightfighter Southern Cross, Lt Smith and Dingo interact with others of my favorite comic characyers

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 12:48 PM
DarkSaint85

It’s true Scotland falls under Great Britain, but I always thought Scott’s have their own identity? As in they don’t consider themselves British?

Some do, some don't. As is, legally officially, etc he's a Brit, like One Angry Scot.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 01:32 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
Really?
Yeah, despite the fact I vaguely know Moore, Jim Shooter had a way of making comics work. He imposed quality control on Marvel as E in C and ushered in Marvels golden age. What was going on in the pages of 2000AD, Captain Britain Magazine and Warrior a little later in the UK was important. I don't know if you've ever heard of Action? It was banned for its violence and as a result is very rare. I have all the issues, in many ways it paved the way for 2000 AD although we based more around around war and detective stories. I doubt Moore would have pulled the shit he did without it, it was a natural progression tbh.

That said as far as Universe creation and basic tropes, Shooter, Geffen and Claremont struggle to be topped for me. If you want a solid one issue comic book that might tie into a bigger story they are the Rosetta stone.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 02:11 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

I'd focus on the no names. Everyone who currently is popular and has a title I would cancel. I'd only use c and d list Villians and heroes like hammer and anvil or death adder. No big events either, you just kinda see their day to day lives and schemes.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 02:46 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

iirc Shooter was a giant prick. Sure, it's hard to argue with results, but he's one of those guys that a lot of his peers had very little in terms of nice things to say about him.

==

As far as the thread goes, I would want to do some heavy restructuring. Editorial would be scaled back, only having input in to stories when something a writer did contradicted canon or, in the case of a crossover, lacked consistency with the overreaching arc.

Editors aren't writers, even if they were in the past.

And as far as writers themselves go, new writers would go through a kind of orientation where they'd sit down with a senior writer and get shown the ropes, allowing both their comfort and hopefully a higher quality product as a result.

Every major character has a "bible" similar to what you would see in a TV show. Guidelines that you're supposed to stay within so you don't start messing things up. Nothing too specific, more like "this is where they live, these are their powers, and these are their costars" kind of thing.

On a character by character basis, I really don't know. Some characters/teams obviously need heavy restructuring, but some would only need minor changes to make them work better.

Think that's it.

Oh, and I'd never let Bendis or Snyder near an event book. Ever.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 02:48 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by -Pr-
iirc Shooter was a giant prick. Sure, it's hard to argue with results, but he's one of those guys that a lot of his peers had very little in terms of nice things to say about him.

This is undoubtedly true, that said no one likes a boss who demands they up their game, which he also did. His prickishness is public record, but so is Stan Lee's

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 03:00 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Putinbot1
This is undoubtedly true, that said no one likes a boss who demands they up their game, which he also did. His prickishness is public record, but so is Stan Lee's

Oh, definitely. A lot of the greats have issues like that. I read that John Byrne was awful to work with too.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 04:10 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by -Pr-
Oh, definitely. A lot of the greats have issues like that. I read that John Byrne was awful to work with too.
Did you ever read Byrnes next men, he had a letters page in it where he was a cock to readers, his arrogance knows no end.

I think a lot of truly creative people are probably total cocks, the more you read about them, the more of a cock they appear. First time I met Alan more was in Orbital Comics on Charring Cross road he did a promo for Lost Girls, I was allowed a cup of tea and brief chat with him. He is a lovely guy, very droll and very, very intelligent. To clarify, I was one of many he chatted to that day. Although I have met him a few times since.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2020 07:10 PM
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Originally posted by Putinbot1
I met Alan more was in Orbital Comics on Charring Cross road he did a promo for Lost Girls, I was allowed a cup of tea and brief chat with him. He is a lovely guy, very droll and very, very intelligent. To clarify, I was one of many he chatted to that day. Although I have met him a few times since.

I met Mike Grell at Supanova on the gold coast a couple of years ago. He was the only one at the event not charging for his signature and we had a chat. He was super cool with my kids also.

I was lucky enough that someone close to Roy Thomas gave me his email years ago. I emailed a thank you (as a huge fan of his work). He graciously replied and over 3 emails actually answered a few of my questions on his work.

So there are some great talen that dont let it go to their head

Old Post Feb 19th, 2020 01:30 AM