KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » question for the "pronoun people"

question for the "pronoun people"
Started by: DeadpoolXXX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scribble

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Exactly what I mean. And even in those examples I'd be more likely to say "that's them over there" or "that's their order".

It's not really an issue in everyday parlance.
Honestly yeah I tend to use ungendered language most of the time anyway.
Originally posted by dadudemon
And this is the gist of it. Just cut those toxic people out of your life. You can't chose your family but you can choose your friends.

I highly agree with this. I think free speech should be maintained. But harassment is not protected speech, like you said. Nothing really to change in the system.

Yes, you do look androgynous and that's a good thing.

That reminds me.

Q99 was transgender (I don't know where Q99 landed with this as it can take some years to land on a comfortable decision). It wasn't quite the comfortable topic for Q99. So instead of constantly bringing it up with pronoun references, I just referred to Q99 by "Q99." Just avoid it. It makes for awkward references and sentences but if you like someone and value their opinion, you'll make an extra step to be kind to them.
Exactly. It's not that hard a thing to do, and there are ways about it. People are so determined to not give up their 'freedoms' that they think misgendering someone is like, a badge of honour? That that makes them free of the leftist mindgames? Idk man, the right at large has a lot of work to do.

I think there are a lot of tribal leftists who actually resent trans people at heart, and pretend to support them so that they can still be a part of the club, but a great chunk of the right are still actively hostile to trans people, or at least the concept of trans identity. Some may act totally cool with trans people, but wouldn't act in their favour if they got the chance.

I guess the moral of the story is: be kind to everyone, and trust nobody.

Actually, that's a shitty lesson and I disagree with it. Maybe you can come up with a better one.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:40 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

It’s not just those that transitioning that wants to be refers as something else. Just because you feel like something, that’s good, I don’t care, doesn’t mean I have to care enough about your delusions.

If a men that transitions to a female wants me to refer to them as female, as long as they are asking and not demanding, I’ll accept.

But if you come up to me and say refer to you as their, and all the other names, I’ll say go **** yourselves. I don’t have the time nor the energy for such stupidity.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:41 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by snowdragon
I always found it much easier to just have one of those sharting moments after a big lentil curry night and I find being anti social and social distancing no problem at all even in the bussiest of stores/restaurants confused

Sure you walk funny and smell like shit but the fear of covid19 slips away in addition to worrying about rude ppl cutting you off in the exit line or being rude with improper pronouns wink

Semi-related, doctor was talking about the pores/holes in facemasks vs. SARS-CoV-2 size and how the holes in the masks are way way bigger. He talked about this in response to why masks do not have any statistical significance in keeping people from getting ill with the flu in previous studies and the lack of studies on realworld outcomes for coronavirus. To put it into perspective, SARS-CoV-2 is a slightly smaller virus than the flu viruses.

Your smelly fart molecules are even smaller which is why the mask doesn't block the stench. smile

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:41 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by snowdragon
I always found it much easier to just have one of those sharting moments after a big lentil curry night and I find being anti social and social distancing no problem at all even in the bussiest of stores/restaurants confused

Sure you walk funny and smell like shit but the fear of covid19 slips away in addition to worrying about rude ppl cutting you off in the exit line or being rude with improper pronouns wink
laughing out loud Believe it or not I'm generally always quite polite to people until as Dalton would say it's time not to be. I avoid losing my dignity in real life unless someone has truly crossed the bounds.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:42 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
laughing out loud Believe it or not I'm generally always quite polite to people until as Dalton would say it's time not to be. I avoid losing my dignity in real life unless someone has truly crossed the bounds.

I know you still want to beat me up, you evil and vile man.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:45 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eon Blue
I know you still want to beat me up, you evil and vile man.
Ridiculous laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:46 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Silent Master
What problems come from someone using the wrong pronoun?

On an individual level, anything from social exclusion to physical violence. On a societal level, discriminatory legislation, like Trump trying to ban transgender people from the military.
Originally posted by cdtm
Threat from whom? Cis-gender people?

Do even "enlightened allies" really care of any distinction other then "Not cis-gender"?

What?
Originally posted by dadudemon

That reminds me.

Q99 was transgender (I don't know where Q99 landed with this as it can take some years to land on a comfortable decision). It wasn't quite the comfortable topic for Q99. So instead of constantly bringing it up with pronoun references, I just referred to Q99 by "Q99." Just avoid it. It makes for awkward references and sentences but if you like someone and value their opinion, you'll make an extra step to be kind to them.

Q is trans? She used to post in the comic forums a lot, which is mostly where I knew her from. I always thought she hid her gender because we hadn't quite grown out of the sexist shitposting yet.

She was also one of the only other X-23 fans and she left me all alone when she disappeared. sad
Originally posted by SquallX
So if I were to say I must be refers to as “His Holy Majesty” and people refuses, am I allowed to get mad?

I have no right to demand anything from others when it comes to pronoun. You can ask, and depending on ones views, they could say sure, or no.

It's not the same.

"His Royal Majesty", and similar addresses, are meant to elevate you over someone else. Kings and Queens were, almost by default, assholes. When you're raised to believe exaltation is your birthright, it's nearly impossible to escape that inflated self-worth. It harkens back to some of the worst classism we've ever experienced as humans.

It's why developed nations have rejected monarchy. It's a really stupid system.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 10th, 2020 at 07:15 PM

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:12 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StyleTime
On an individual level, anything from social exclusion to physical violence. On a societal level, discriminatory legislation, like Trump trying to ban transgender people from the military.

What?

Q is trans? She used to post in the comic forums a lot, which is mostly where I knew her from. I always thought she hid her gender because we hadn't quite grown out of the sexist shitposting yet.

She was also one of the only other X-23 fans and she left me all alone when she disappeared. sad

It's not the same.

"His Royal Majesty", and similar addresses, are meant to elevate you over someone else. Kings and Queens were, almost be default, assholes. When you're raised to believe exaltation is your birthright, it's nearly impossible to escape that inflated self-worth. It harkens back to some of the worst classism we've ever experienced as humans.

It's why developed nations have rejected monarchy. It's a really stupid system.
thumb up Good Post.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:14 PM
Scribble

Trump outright barring trans people from military was dumb. If they can pass a mental competence test, why not let them in? Yes, trans people tend to be unstable due to the fact that Gender Dysphoria is a mental illness, but 'deluded' and 'crazy' are superlative blankets used by people with little understanding of how mental illnesses work. Plenty trans people are very stable geniuses (yrstruly).

But if it's a general ban on all people with specific mental conditions, then fair enough, I guess. Transgenderism is indelibly linked to GD. Without GD, it's basically just fashion choice.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:27 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
Trump outright barring trans people from military was dumb. If they can pass a mental competence test, why not let them in? Yes, trans people tend to be unstable due to the fact that Gender Dysphoria is a mental illness, but 'deluded' and 'crazy' are superlative blankets used by people with little understanding of how mental illnesses work. Plenty trans people are very stable geniuses (yrstruly).

But if it's a general ban on all people with specific mental conditions, then fair enough, I guess. Transgenderism is indelibly linked to GD. Without GD, it's basically just fashion choice.
Actually being the wrong gender trapped in the wrong body is less a traditional mental illness and more an issue exacerbated by a lack of societal understanding and want to solve.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:29 PM
Raptor22

Originally posted by StyleTime

Q was good people. One of the few posters from the SWvF that u could have a conversation with instead of an argument.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:30 PM
Raptor22 is currently offline Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Raptor22
Q was good people. One of the few posters from the SWvF that u could have a conversation with instead of an argument.
Yeah, he and as he has been on here more Trocity, DMB and you are probably the most rational and the easiest to avoid an argument with no doubt from there.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:32 PM
Scribble

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Actually being the wrong gender trapped in the wrong body is less a traditional mental illness and more an issue exacerbated by a lack of societal understanding and want to solve.
I personally think that entire concept is bunk. GD is a genuine condition that causes a form of body dysmorphia, where you feel that your physical form does not match up with your brain. It's similar to Cotard syndrome (where the individual believes their body, or part of their body, is dead, dying or not 'theirs'), but also with more societal links (since the concept of 'gender' has some truths to it, gender can definitely be performative).

But GD is a mental condition that causes suffering. I've lived with it for 16 years, I think I should know, y'know. Even when I'm passing well, I still feel like a faker, a fraud; and even if I got my bits chopped and took hormones, I know I'd feel the same way.

It's the being born 'wrong' bit that makes it a mental condition.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:35 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I personally think that entire concept is bunk. GD is a genuine condition that causes a form of body dysmorphia, where you feel that your physical form does not match up with your brain. It's similar to Cotard syndrome (where the individual believes their body, or part of their body, is dead, dying or not 'theirs'), but also with more societal links (since the concept of 'gender' has some truths to it, gender can definitely be performative).

But GD is a mental condition that causes suffering. I've lived with it for 16 years, I think I should know, y'know. Even when I'm passing well, I still feel like a faker, a fraud; and even if I got my bits chopped and took hormones, I know I'd feel the same way.

It's the being born 'wrong' bit that makes it a mental condition.
that's one reason, trans gender people often also have parts of the brain more like the gender they feel is right for them. The brain can literally be trapped in the wrong body, this has serious science behind it.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:37 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:41 PM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm sorry but people who delusionally think they are the opposite sex than the one they were born as have no place fighting in the US military.

Trump did the right thing.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:41 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
I'm sorry but people who think they are the opposite sex than the one they were born as have no place fighting in the US military.

i don't think even DDM will agree with you on this.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:42 PM
Quincy
Debaser

Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
I'm sorry but people who delusionally think they are the opposite sex than the one they were born as have no place fighting in the US military.

Why don't they?

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:43 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Honestly yeah I tend to use ungendered language most of the time anyway.
Exactly. It's not that hard a thing to do, and there are ways about it. People are so determined to not give up their 'freedoms' that they think misgendering someone is like, a badge of honour? That that makes them free of the leftist mindgames? Idk man, the right at large has a lot of work to do.

I think there are a lot of tribal leftists who actually resent trans people at heart, and pretend to support them so that they can still be a part of the club, but a great chunk of the right are still actively hostile to trans people, or at least the concept of trans identity. Some may act totally cool with trans people, but wouldn't act in their favour if they got the chance.

I guess the moral of the story is: be kind to everyone, and trust nobody.

Actually, that's a shitty lesson and I disagree with it. Maybe you can come up with a better one.

thumb up
Originally posted by SquallX
It’s not just those that transitioning that wants to be refers as something else. Just because you feel like something, that’s good, I don’t care, doesn’t mean I have to care enough about your delusions.

If a men that transitions to a female wants me to refer to them as female, as long as they are asking and not demanding, I’ll accept.

But if you come up to me and say refer to you as their, and all the other names, I’ll say go **** yourselves. I don’t have the time nor the energy for such stupidity.

"They" makes sense to me, as there are non-binary people. I'm still not convinced of the "ze, zim, zer" stuff quite yet. I'm keeping an open mind but I don't know if every single gradation of gender presentation warrants its own pro-noun. It seems like she/he/they already covers it.

It's like...you're a chick who wears sneakers and prefers red over pink, so your pronoun is "ghlim" or something. I get lost at that point.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 10th, 2020 at 07:47 PM

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:43 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Quincy
Why don't they?

Among other reasons, people who think they are the opposite sex than what they were born as are not well psychologically and serving in the military is already stressful enough as it is without the gender dysphoria that transgenders have.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Jul 10th, 2020 at 07:53 PM

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 07:46 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote