KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Was Afghanistan all for nothing?

Was Afghanistan all for nothing?
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (25): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

Was Afghanistan all for nothing?

It's frustrating to watch the country being slowly retaken by the vile Taliban, after nearly 20 years of Western forces trying to fix and modernize that place. They have just been waiting for us to leave all this time, and the new government still can't handle the place on their own.

Thoughts?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 03:57 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

occupying that country has historically been proven to be a 10/10 waste of time, unfortunately

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 04:11 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Re: Was Afghanistan all for nothing?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
after nearly 20 years of Western forces trying to fix and modernize that place.

This right here was the problem.

You cant go in with guns and air strikes claiming you know whats better for them.

The reason the Taliban are taking over so easily is because they have mass support behind them.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 04:12 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I never agreed with the invasion of Iraq in 2003 - because of the big lies behind it - but after 9/11 taking down Afghanistan seemed like the right thing to do, what with the terrorist's being based there and the Taliban being unwilling to turn them over. It was only then I learned how wretched and backward Taliban rule was. Maybe I was influenced by the heat and emotion of the times...

Afghanistan and Somalia have competed for Worst Place On The Planet for almost the same amount of time. Somalia has made a bit of progress only with the African Union sending their own troops in. But who in the region cares enough to send their troops in there to fix the place? Pakistan? They've never fully gotten out of their ties with the Taliban, four decades on.

What is the goal now? Isolate them like North Korea until they finally give in?

North Korea only exists because China props them up.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 04:27 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Cut our losses and move on its a waste of our troops lives and billions of dollars.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 04:30 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Taliban going to own all the opium again lol

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 04:59 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Got some good movies out of all that death. Definitely worth it.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 05:17 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

but after 9/11 taking down Afghanistan seemed like the right thing to do, what with the terrorist's being based there and the Taliban being unwilling to turn them over.

Firstly thats not entirely accurate. The Taliban offered to send them to a neutral Muslim country for a fair trial.

Second, invading such a poor and already war torn country was nothing short of terrorism itself, no matter the justification.

I mean its not like Afghanistan invaded America. Even the idea of that is laughable.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 05:42 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Basically yes, a waste from today's perspective. Also a potential China win.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 08:01 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's frustrating to watch the country being slowly retaken by the vile Taliban, after nearly 20 years of Western forces trying to fix and modernize that place. They have just been waiting for us to leave all this time, and the new government still can't handle the place on their own.

Thoughts?

Like the man said, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

The US showed them freedom, but they chose terrorism.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Aug 14th, 2021 at 08:56 PM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 08:51 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thoughts?
I've been there, some of those close to me have been there. It is complicated.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 09:25 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
I've been there, some of those close to me have been there. It is complicated.

Ah, so you ARE a terrorist after all.

I know full well how the failure of communism tortures radicals. Your side lost, time to accept it.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 09:27 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Clinton bombed Sudan and Somalia so Al Qadda moved to Afghanistan, but, then they went to Pakistan, oh, they have like 1 nuke.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 09:30 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm

I know full well how the failure of communism tortures radicals. Your side lost, time to accept it.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 09:32 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Blakemore
Clinton bombed Sudan and Somalia so Al Qadda moved to Afghanistan, but, then they went to Pakistan, oh, they have like 1 nuke.
Pakistan have 160 warheads approximately and around 30 to 50 ICBMs that are serviceable.

Last edited by Old Man Whirly! on Aug 14th, 2021 at 09:38 PM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 09:34 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well Obama managed it.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 10:01 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Wasn't for nothing, the military got to practice war, private contractors got some coin, business interests came in and got their piece, CIA got some sweet opium to fund their dirty ops, always going to be male refugee immigrants going to western Europe for some reason, civilian contractors came in a built some stuff pretty sure they got some sweet kickbacks. War is profit.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 10:37 PM
Nuke Nixon is currently offline Click here to Send Nuke Nixon a Private Message Find more posts by Nuke Nixon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

We must nuke nuke nixon for practice

Old Post Aug 14th, 2021 10:56 PM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nuke Nixon
Wasn't for nothing, the military got to practice war, private contractors got some coin, business interests came in and got their piece, CIA got some sweet opium to fund their dirty ops, always going to be male refugee immigrants going to western Europe for some reason, civilian contractors came in a built some stuff pretty sure they got some sweet kickbacks. War is profit.

This.

Most are unable to see the forest for the trees and believe war always sin. This isn’t necessarily true and is ruse used by the weak and fallacious. War is never an optimal outcome, but sometimes the profits wrought from war far outweigh the alternatives.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2021 12:39 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Klaw
Sigma Male

Originally posted by cdtm

Communism has failed every time its been tried.

Simp list: samhain, Blakemore, snowdragon

If you want to anger a Conservative, lie to him.
If you want to anger a Liberal, tell him the truth.

KMC is a Left Wing echo chamber; just like Reddit and Twitter.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2021 01:23 AM
Klaw is currently offline Find more posts by Klaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote