KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » 80's & 90's Actors Vs Current Up and Comers

80's & 90's Actors Vs Current Up and Comers
Started by: Senor Cage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jaden_2.0
Awful

I've probably ruined my reputation on this board for hating every movie ever by listing so many that I actually liked in this thread

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 02:42 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I thought it was well put together. Nice use of sound design and music. More of an art-house take, perhaps, though.

I seriously think if he was black or gay it would have been given the Best Picture nom it deserved.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 02:46 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Love his deadpan comedy stuff like The Other Guys. He'll never surpass Beetlejuice though. He either doesn't get offered the roles he deserves or he's not great at picking scripts because he has a mountain of utter dogshit with a handful of great roles sprinkled in there. Spotlight, Birdman, Jackie Brown.

I'd recommend Clean & Sober and Pacific Heights if you haven't seen them. Solid roles, imo.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 03:55 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by Senor Cage
thumb up

What do you think about Keaton. I think he should have gotten an oscar by now.

Oscar means nothing. But Keaton is a pretty good actor. From playing Batman to Beetlejuice, the man has range.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 05:59 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Gary Oldman solos. 90's win.

Oldman and DiCaprio have far more varied roles than any of the 2nd group.

Some of both of those groups are highly overrated in those same terms. They effectively just play themselves in every role.

More interesting is the people you left out. Daniel Day Lewis is arguably better than any in list 1 and Tom Hardy is arguably better than any in list 2.

Yep Hardy and Daniel Day-Lewis should be on their respective lists.

Originally posted by SquallX
Hardy is far better than Bale by a long shot.

Hardy is one of the best actors today, but I'll take Bale: American Psycho, Vice, Hostiles, Ford v Ferrari, The Fighter, 3:10 to Yuma, American Hustle, The Big Short, Public Enemies, heck even in Equilibirum and Shaft he's great.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2021 05:25 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by John Murdoch
Gary Oldman solos. 90's win.

Yep Hardy and Daniel Day-Lewis should be on their respective lists.

Hardy is one of the best actors today, but I'll take Bale: American Psycho, Vice, Hostiles, Ford v Ferrari, The Fighter, 3:10 to Yuma, American Hustle, The Big Short, Public Enemies, heck even in Equilibirum and Shaft he's great.

His physical commitment is above Hardy (not that Hardy hasn't done some staggering transformations in his time for the likes of Bronson, Warrior and TDKR

His range of character, accents etc is better than Bale's though. From his Queens English is Star Trek Nemesis, Inception and Dunkirk through his slang in Peaky Blinders, Taboo, Legend, Bronson and his American accents in Capone, Venom, Band of Brothers, The Drop, Lawless, The Revenant, Mad Max.

Bale pretty much has 1 British accent and 1 American.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2021 04:41 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Yeah. DDL has only 30 movies and only 7 since 2000.

Have to say Bale is probably the most committed method actor going. What he's put himself through to fluctuate between roles like The Machinist and Batman then back to what he looked like in The Fighter then back to Batman with Patrick Bateman in between then up in weight for Vice. Absolutely unreal physical transformations. The guy will have totally destroyed his hormonal systems by the time he stops.

Hardy seems to have more range of roles/accents compared to Bale though.

Might sound silly but as up & comers go I'd also be tempted to list Robert Pattinson and Daniel Radcliffe. They've both put in some brilliant performances in recent years.

Radcliffe is very decent and Pattinson has done very solid roles post Twilight Saga trash, I think he'll be one of these actors who will just improve as he ages.

He's the reason I have high hopes for The Batman, despite the trailers not wowing me

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 10th, 2021 06:06 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Robtard
Radcliffe is very decent and Pattinson has done very solid roles post Twilight Saga trash, I think he'll be one of these actors who will just improve as he ages.

Yeah, Daniel Radcliffe is becoming quite fun to watch. I just saw Guns Akimbo the other day and he was great. He's great in Jungle, and Horns as well.

Originally posted by Robtard
He's the reason I have high hopes for The Batman, despite the trailers not wowing me

The director is good, too. He's the main reason I have some expectations for it.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2021 07:26 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote