Stronger, mid range, or weaker characters

Started by Darth_Erebus1 pages

Stronger, mid range, or weaker characters

Which type of "versus" threads do you like best?

More powerful ones like Galactus and Celestials?

Mid Range ones like Silver Surfer and Superman?

Weaker Ones like Wolverine and Batman?

Personally I like the more powerful and mid range ones but I seem to be in the minority.

Seems like the majority of the threads, as well as the ones with the most responses, are devoted to the weaker ones.

Wonder why that is? 😕

Re: Stronger, mid range, or weaker characters

Originally posted by Darth_Erebus
Which type of "versus" threads do you like best?

More powerful ones like Galactus and Celestials?

Mid Range ones like Silver Surfer and Superman?

Weaker Ones like Wolverine and Batman?

Personally I like the more powerful and mid range ones but I seem to be in the minority.

Seems like the majority of the threads, as well as the ones with the most responses, are devoted to the weaker ones.

Wonder why that is? 😕

I prefer the stronger and mid range threads as well. Its a lot easier to argue about how peoples powers compare with each other in comparison to the h2h skills of street levellers. I find street level threads boring.

Mid-range and stronger invoke more oooooo's and ahhhhhh's.

Re: Re: Stronger, mid range, or weaker characters

Originally posted by GalacticStorm
I prefer the stronger and mid range threads as well. Its a lot easier to argue about how peoples powers compare with each other in comparison to the h2h skills of street levellers. I find street level threads boring.
Agreed, but I enjoy reading street levelers more often than not..

I myself prefer the mid levelers, abstracts are just about position in the universal heirachy, and lower level characters are just about h2h and intelligence.

Mid tiers you get powers, h2h, and intelligence, makes for more interesting matchups.

Mid range. People like Namor, Storm, and Wonder Woman.

Cosmics are just about who can blink another out from existence before the other.

And street levelers, like Wolverine, Spider-Man and Daredevil are just about combat skills and who can hit harder.

u guys do realize street level mean human strength and such. I highly call spiderman and wolverine human level lol

ilike mid range to street level

its difficult to judge the higher fights because they are "beyond the ken of mortal men"

I perfer the more non well known characters [Stronger, mid range, weaker...doesn't matter]. Such as written correctly Madison jeffries is insanely strong and Lionel Jeffries is easily an Omega mutant; but do most people know them? nope. It gets annoying when you see 6 Wolverine vs. such and such on the first page.

I'll go for all three but usaully mid-range.

i find cosmic and abstract threads incredibly dull as they are all about supposed powers that have never been used , and the ability to make the opponent cease to exist by snapping fingers (their own, not their opponents)

who cares how many planets Galactus or Ego may or may not be able to destroy with one blast?

Mid range.......... especially the not-to-musculary type of dudes !!!

Originally posted by King_Mungi
I. It gets annoying when you see 6 Wolverine vs. such and such on the first page.

You can say that again.

Indeed.......

Mid-Range. Lesser known and characters with more offbeat powers are usually more interesting but gain less interest. "This really physically strong character vs this really physically strong character." and "Wolverine vs impossible match-up." can get boring.

Especially, Wolverine vs. SpiderMan...............

For the same reaosn thor was given an altor ego,
people can relate to them better.

Superman is percieved as a god.

People seem to respect and marvel at his godlike abilities, but thats it.

Batman is a man, more or less.
If you prick him he bleeds, he eats, sleeps, exercises to be strong, he is caught in awkward situations, he eats cereal, he deals with cash, credit, and human shit that anybody can relate to.

The same is true with characters like spiderman and etc, they are more so closer to our levl of inperfection, our level of vulnerabilty, our levl of understanding of the way things work in our lives and societies.

With a character like silver surfer, he may caome into reguler contact with normal humans, but what normal human can really relate to him, not marvel at his powers, but trule relate to his everyday dealings and goings.
No one, and if they tell you they can, then they are a bold-faced lie, dude.

That answer your question!?!

i like the street level guys myself because of there vunerability i als like the mid range characters for display of powers I think the high level guys and gals are too abstract but they have their moments

I think that there's a lot of room between "street level" and the Superman/Herald level types. That's where a lot of the interesting stuff can happen.

I'll echo the cry for more offbeat characters (Madison Jeffries is awesome.) The more popular the character, the more likely the thread is to be drowned in Fanboy Noise. (Look at the recent "Top 10 Martial Artists" thread and you'll see what I mean.) Sadly, I don't think we quite have a critical mass of hardcore comic geeks here to support such discussions, as is evident by the silence with which the more unusual threads are often met.

Originally posted by jplatinum
For the same reaosn thor was given an altor ego,
people can relate to them better.

Superman is percieved as a god.

People seem to respect and marvel at his godlike abilities, but thats it.

Batman is a man, more or less.
If you prick him he bleeds, he eats, sleeps, exercises to be strong, he is caught in awkward situations, he eats cereal, he deals with cash, credit, and human shit that anybody can relate to.

The same is true with characters like spiderman and etc, they are more so closer to our levl of inperfection, our level of vulnerabilty, our levl of understanding of the way things work in our lives and societies.

With a character like silver surfer, he may caome into reguler contact with normal humans, but what normal human can really relate to him, not marvel at his powers, but trule relate to his everyday dealings and goings.
No one, and if they tell you they can, then they are a bold-faced lie, dude.

That answer your question!?!

Well, the whole reason I read comics is for the fantasy aspect of it. What makes them appealing is that they are NOT like me, in any way. They are totally impossible and disconnected from reality. Reading a comic about some normal guy in tights (IE Batman) is kinda gay, IMHO.