Originally posted by Mini Bennett
So, I assume you go by Hal Jordan & Kyle Rayner > Alan Scott >> Kilowog?Where would Guy Gardner and John Stewart stand in that?
I actually go by Alan Scott > Hal Jordan > Kyle Rayner > Guy/John >= Kilowog. And that's without factoring in Alan's wild power ups he's gotten over the years.
Originally posted by Mini Bennett
Just wondering Jake, where would you place Sinestro in this equation?
He'd be at Hal's level.
It's worth noting that the list there (which I agree with) is raw power. For all of his psychotic feats, Alan doesn't have some of the nifty versatility feats that Hal and Kyle do. It's arguable that they have a wider range of powers with the ring than Alan does, though Alan blows them away on pure power.
Originally posted by Digi
He'd be at Hal's level.It's worth noting that the list there (which I agree with) is raw power. For all of his psychotic feats, Alan doesn't have some of the nifty versatility feats that Hal and Kyle do. It's arguable that they have a wider range of powers with the ring than Alan does, though Alan blows them away on pure power.
Agreed on Sinestro.
I do think that nowadays versatility among the Lanterns is pretty much non-existent, which is a shame as they've been relegated to energy beams and constructs. Alan's displayed enough versatility to compete, though, imo, including elemental attacks, having precognition "danger sense", being able to teleport without opening spacial warps, the ability to see ghosts/the spirit world, etc.
In any case, Alan's ridiculous when it comes to pure power. 👆
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Agreed on Sinestro.I do think that nowadays versatility among the Lanterns is pretty much non-existent, which is a shame as they've been relegated to energy beams and constructs. Alan's displayed enough versatility to compete, though, imo, including elemental attacks, having precognition "danger sense", being able to teleport without opening spacial warps, the ability to see ghosts/the spirit world, etc.
In any case, Alan's ridiculous when it comes to pure power. 👆
Prior to Flashpoint, it was arguable that Hal/Kyle were still better for, say, tourney purposes. They had some nutty versatility feats that were never retconned until Flashpoint, despite the fact that they had been slowly dumbed down in recent years. I'm not saying Alan's without versatility, I've read a lot of his stuff. He's just always been the type to "throw the book at them" so to speak, rather than doing fancy matter or time manip, shrinking, tech-building, a bunch of others I'm forgetting, etc. If the links are still working, the respect threads are great places for those two to say "wtf, when did they do THAT?!"
Originally posted by Digi
Prior to Flashpoint, it was arguable that Hal/Kyle were still better for, say, tourney purposes. They had some nutty versatility feats that were never retconned until Flashpoint, despite the fact that they had been slowly dumbed down in recent years. I'm not saying Alan's without versatility, I've read a lot of his stuff. He's just always been the type to "throw the book at them" so to speak, rather than doing fancy matter or time manip, shrinking, tech-building, a bunch of others I'm forgetting, etc.
True enough.
I'm still pissed about Alan dying, though.
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
True enough.I'm still pissed about Alan dying, though.
It's just DC trolling, he'll be back with the relaunch. But yeah, dumb. Two panels for the funeral. My issue wasn't with him dying, it was how quickly and moronically they wrapped up the plotline. They knew Flashpoint was happening months, maybe years, in advance. Gotta script that sh*t a little tighter.
Mr. Terrific's "I got better?" explanation to his plotline was even more unfathomable. Deep, emotional loss of what he values most with a unique "villain" that robbed him of intelligence, then "er, I got better" two issues later so he can Deus Ex in the finale. Just an utter lack of storytelling responsibility.
Originally posted by Digi
Prior to Flashpoint, it was arguable that Hal/Kyle were still better for, say, tourney purposes. They had some nutty versatility feats that were never retconned until Flashpoint, despite the fact that they had been slowly dumbed down in recent years. I'm not saying Alan's without versatility, I've read a lot of his stuff. He's just always been the type to "throw the book at them" so to speak, rather than doing fancy matter or time manip, shrinking, tech-building, a bunch of others I'm forgetting, etc. If the links are still working, the respect threads are great places for those two to say "wtf, when did they do THAT?!"
Originally posted by abhilegendGL versatility used to include cloning, time warping, matter manips, energy manips, energy drains, lantern traps, worm holes. A lot was lost by the corps.
Why, what happened to GL's versatility? Was there any official retcon in flashpoint that they can only make constructs and fire energy beams?