Robotman vs The Thing

Started by Flyattractor1 pages

Robotman vs The Thing

[bvs]

2 big grumpy orange guys stuck in non-human bodies.
Who out oranges the other?

Isn't Robotman basically in the D-League when it comes to super strength/durability, while Thing is NBA?

I think its one of those Depends on who you ask type of things.

I guess I'll wait till a R-Man expert weighs in as the extent of my knowledge on him is from Brave and the Bold and Teen Titans cartoons.

Well in the Doom Patrol series I read he was maybe like class 10.

As a side note, one comic featured a parody of the FF with Cliff taking Ben's place

The two characters have a lot in common, as Doom Patrol was an X Men concept (outcast heroes) with a Fantastic Four (genius Chief/Reed, Cliff/Ben, Negative Man/Torch, Sue/Rita who had stretching powers) twist.
I think the New 52 version of Cliff would make a real go of this, but Ben would still take the majority.

Original SA Cliff was only class 10-20 and gets stomped.

If we're talki g from the post 2000 revival more like class 50-60. Still outdone but puts up a better fight.

I always thought that DP was more an FF take off than an xmen one.

Chief + Rita = mr fantastic (rita stretchy size changing etc)
Negativeman => torch (given he was also light speed speedster as well as blaster flyer)
Cliff < = ben (muscleman in a body he dispised)
Mento =/= invisible girl (in so far as tk = force field)

Yeah, you got it covered, powers wise. The X Men part comes in the concept; there are some articles online about it. The FF angle often gets overlooked.

Originally posted by riv6672
Yeah, you got it covered, powers wise. The X Men part comes in the concept; there are some articles online about it. The FF angle often gets overlooked.

Doom Patrol predate the X-Men IIRC.

Good Lord. Somebody got out the FrakenPost Machine.

^^^i ran across this Googling pics, believe it or not!

Originally posted by Delta1938
Doom Patrol predate the X-Men IIRC.

Its iffy. There are articlrs, like i said. It was a matter of weeks either way as to how closely they had to be created to launch when they did. Pretty interesing.

Thing shatters him into tiny pieces.

Originally posted by riv6672
^^^i ran across this Googling pics, believe it or not!

Its iffy. There are articlrs, like i said. It was a matter of weeks either way as to how closely they had to be created to launch when they did. Pretty interesing.

I wasn't saying the X-Men were ripping off Doom Patrol. I was pointing-out they came after, so "X-Men concept" thing is actually the other way around, even if the similarities were coincidental.

The X Men being the more popular group, its usually referred to that way though.
I'm a huge DP fan, so i get what you're saying.

I loved Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, when I could wrap my head around what it was about.

Judging by that, Robotman was little more then a punching bag and meat shield. His role was to get knocked around while someone else saved the day, like Crazy Jane.

Thats always been his deal, yeah.
His New 52 body seems better made though.

Originally posted by riv6672
Thats always been his deal, yeah.
His New 52 body seems better made though.

Say, what was the deal between Niles Caulder and Will Magnus?

Will makes Robotman a new body, and I think it lasted all of 2 issues before Caulder criticised Magnus's work like he was some idiot, instead of a master of robotics. And then he built him a new one.

Thought it was kind of a strange moment, and wonder if there's a story behind it (Backstage bickering among writers, maybe?)

Originally posted by riv6672
Thats always been his deal, yeah.
His New 52 body seems better made though.

That one was full of Nano-MITE!

^^^ 😂

Originally posted by cdtm
Say, what was the deal between Niles Caulder and Will Magnus?

Will makes Robotman a new body, and I think it lasted all of 2 issues before Caulder criticised Magnus's work like he was some idiot, instead of a master of robotics. And then he built him a new one.

Thought it was kind of a strange moment, and wonder if there's a story behind it (Backstage bickering among writers, maybe?)


Not sure. Back stage bickering makes as much sense as anything. Other than the color (i prefer orange) the Magnus body was one of Cliff's best.