Pre- nu DCU I'd give Fernus an edge but in a competitive fight
Things are wonky now. Superman has just literally ripped Doomsday to shreds, bench pressed the earth for 5 days and MM beat Despero by himself. Besides that Despero stole batman's Kryptonite ring before attacking the JLA (when J'onn beat him) which gave me the impression that he thought he woud need it to beat Superman
That's degrading Despero
Fernus killed all of the White martians and was several tiers above any of the white martians themselves. Given that "technically" a white martian is physically the same as J'onn (in reality nu DCU shows a more powerful J'onn in comparison to other martians - but still 70?)
Fernus should really overwhelm Despero, who's been getting sold short.
The Biurning Martians were a threat, or at least a concern, to the Guardians. Despero is just a wegiht class below IMO
I see dsespero as a team threat
Fern us was a Martian times x 10
He killed 70 Martians ( for those that think he was just an unleashed Jon.....Jon can't kill 70 peers)
Pre nu document however de speedos telepathy seemed more formidable, so I'd say the guy that decapitates 70 Martians likely overpowers dsespero, though perhaps it's a good fight
Ahhhhhhhh comic book fights 😄
Too many ways for Fernus to beat Despero here.
He can probably even tp bomb him, considering John's GL tp defenses wouldn't last even a second in the same room with Fernus, and he had to resort to a desperate tactic of converting his thoughts to those of a long dead Guardian language to bypass being turned into a vegetable.
Despero is drastically underrated here.
1. White Martians are no where near Jonn's peer's. White Martians are the weaker martian Race. Aquaman mind raped several and his TP power is a fraction that of jonn's. hell even with the enhancement in TP the water hand gave him he still wasn't in Jonn's league.
2. MMH and Aquaman combined couldn't even dent Despero's TP strength.
3. One of his abiliites as I recall is a psychic fire that he can wield from his third eye. MMH is still vulnerable to "psychic" fire.
4. If he has the Flame of Py'tar then he possesses powerful energy and matter manip as powers almost to the point of verging on reality warping.
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Fernus wins this.Although, don't forget, when he kiled those 70 White Martians, he WAS on fire.....
I was going to state this as well. Fernus is constantly emitting fire, martians lose their powers when in the presence of fire, so him beating 70 WMs is virtually cheating, and not a very impressive feat (Heck, Batman took out 3 WMs himself with a matchs flame).
I don't know. It's still 70 beings that are weaker versions of Superman but with similar powers. 70 is enough for at least a group of them to use telepathy or martian vision (the stupidest power in comics - it would be like Superman's Kryptonite vision but hey)
My takeaway from the scene was that the immensely powerful white martians- who were described as the equals of the green martians but the war obsessed half of the species were wiped out by a being that as just that powerful (even though yes I agree that his fire had a lot to do with it)
OTOH Despero wouldn't be so easily affected telepathically, as opposed to his jobber nuDCU self and his physical power would likely be enough to match up with Fernus
I don't know who wins, I do know they are both in dire need of a redesign but that's another debate.
Despero looks like a lobster with one eye - I keep thinking Zoidberg from Futurama has superpowers and now the JLA must face him
nyuk nyuk