My motto has always been: a character doesn't truly need to stay dead unless you just can't write interesting stories with them anymore.
If you can write an interesting story with a character then I do not care if they come back 100 times, or 1,000 times.
So for instance Uncle Ben: I don't have a problem if he came back. It beats the same old story of "Peter is sad over Uncle Ben and great power means great responsibility" and all that. Wouldn't it be interesting to get Ben's take on a certain situation? On a certain villain? On a certain moral quandary Spider-Man has? I think it could be. I wonder what Ben would say to Peter if Peter was going to make a deal with Satan in order to save his life.
Originally posted by Surtur
My motto has always been: a character doesn't truly need to stay dead unless you just can't write interesting stories with them anymore.If you can write an interesting story with a character then I do not care if they come back 100 times, or 1,000 times.
So for instance Uncle Ben: I don't have a problem if he came back. It beats the same old story of "Peter is sad over Uncle Ben and great power means great responsibility" and all that. Wouldn't it be interesting to get Ben's take on a certain situation? On a certain villain? On a certain moral quandary Spider-Man has? I think it could be. I wonder what Ben would say to Peter if Peter was going to make a deal with Satan in order to save his life.
I think bringing characters back lessens the impact. When Lori died you realized shit was real. It gives more meaning to their fictional sacrifice. If it's repeated constantly it devalues the premise and is only being used for shock value imo.
Good point though
Originally posted by Surtur
My motto has always been: a character doesn't truly need to stay dead unless you just can't write interesting stories with them anymore.If you can write an interesting story with a character then I do not care if they come back 100 times, or 1,000 times.
So for instance Uncle Ben: I don't have a problem if he came back. It beats the same old story of "Peter is sad over Uncle Ben and great power means great responsibility" and all that. Wouldn't it be interesting to get Ben's take on a certain situation? On a certain villain? On a certain moral quandary Spider-Man has? I think it could be. I wonder what Ben would say to Peter if Peter was going to make a deal with Satan in order to save his life.
WRONG!!!!!
Uncle Ben's place in the Spider-Man mythos should remain untouched. There is nothing about his death that leaves room for a resurrection.
Spider-Man's encounters with the supernatural should be extremely limited. The best example is the Totem storyline which alludes to occult elements but doesn't change the essence of the character.
Originally posted by Surtur
My motto has always been: a character doesn't truly need to stay dead unless you just can't write interesting stories with them anymore.If you can write an interesting story with a character then I do not care if they come back 100 times, or 1,000 times.
So for instance Uncle Ben: I don't have a problem if he came back. It beats the same old story of "Peter is sad over Uncle Ben and great power means great responsibility" and all that. Wouldn't it be interesting to get Ben's take on a certain situation? On a certain villain? On a certain moral quandary Spider-Man has? I think it could be. I wonder what Ben would say to Peter if Peter was going to make a deal with Satan in order to save his life.
The idea is admirable, until we see "Uncle Ben: Dead No More!" written by Brian Michael Bendis...
I'm mostly with Surtur on this.
If the return's done well, and there are good stories that come of it, then fine.
Having said that:
Comics characters are around for decades in cases, and writers try and "fix" mistakes they feel have been made. Then other writers fix those.
Thats how you get multiple deaths/rebirths for a character, and that in turn lessens the impact of deaths in the medium overall.
Originally posted by JayDaDon
The idea is admirable, until we see "Uncle Ben: Dead No More!" written by Brian Michael Bendis...
It would turn out under Bendis that Ben and May are not really Peter's uncle and aunt after all, and that not only did Peter's parents not actually die, but they weren't his parents at all.
Seriously though, bringing Ben back achieves nothing. As others have said, his death was a catalyst for the young Spidey. Do we really need to f*** a classic origin story just to hear Ben's take on some villain or situation? No. He already played his part in raising Peter up and helping to give him his grounding in life.
If he comes back several things are a given or very likely
1) it lessens the impact of the origin story, and the explanation given is lame and contrived.
2) it cheapens the effect of death... yet again.
3) Ben probably becomes the victim of repetitive hostage/target type stories
4) they probably feel the need to write some predictable plot of a big rift developing between Peter and Ben over some dumb contrived reason (yawn)
5) Ben gains super powers (Venom?). Seriously, it seems like every supporting character gets super powers these days.
6) Bendis.
Bendis would bring back Peter's mermaid cousin...:
http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/strange_tales_97.shtml