Who are the least challenged characters in comics?

Started by riv66722 pages

Who are the least challenged characters in comics?

Martian Mind made this comment in the Shadow/Snake Eyes thread and got me thinking:


Look, I love the Hunter Rose stories. However, he suffers from the same condition as Dr Manhatten, in that he exists in a world where he is mostly unchallenged. As such, he is heavily lacking in the context and feats necessary to be considered top-tier.

So, NOT looking for DCnu/616 Marvel characters, but rather characters from other 'realities' that mostly exist in a vacum. Characters that fans consider top tier but are hard to compare in versus fights to mainstream characters who have tons more competition/feats to draw on.

some versions of dr solar can be considered like this, like the one from goldkey and the one from darkhorse

basically youre looking for big fish in small ponds?

Yah, Manhattan is pretty much the poster boy for this.

^^^yeah, martian mind cited him.

Originally posted by ghostman
some versions of dr solar can be considered like this, like the one from goldkey and the one from darkhorse...

Thanks, that seems a good one!

Spawn, to a far lesser extent than Manhattan. But he's still an ultra powerful demon-guy that spends most of his time fighting cyborg monkeys and New York hobos, although he does occasionally venture to Hell to battle satan.

Oh, Plutonian as well.

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Spawn, to a far lesser extent than Manhattan. But he's still an ultra powerful demon-guy that spends most of his time fighting cyborg monkeys and New York hobos, although he does occasionally venture to Hell to battle satan.

Beat me to it. Pretty badass hobos though.

I wouldnt have thought Spawn. Neat.
Plutonian also seems like a good one.

Doc Savage comes to mind. In his world, he's the most intelligent, influential person to ever draw breath. Who knows how he'd go in Marvel/DC.

Godlike Ones- http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/earthevo.htm#Godlik

Originally posted by Martian_mind
Doc Savage comes to mind. In his world, he's the most intelligent, influential person to ever draw breath. Who knows how he'd go in Marvel/DC.

^^^Sounds good.
And thanks for the thread idea.

Someone suggested Maximortal from the Rick Veitch's Brat Pack stories to me. Need to read up on him.

Originally posted by riv6672
^^^Sounds good.
And thanks for the thread idea.

Someone suggested Maximortal from the Rick Veitch's Brat Pack stories to me. Need to read up on him.

No worries.

And I'm in the same boat. I've never heard of him before.

Originally posted by Martian_mind
Doc Savage comes to mind. In his world, he's the most intelligent, influential person to ever draw breath. Who knows how he'd go in Marvel/DC.

What comic runs Doc Savage? If your talking his classic pulp he had some wicked over the top feats for a character of 1930's virtually performing science not discovered for decades later.

Cant speek for Marvel but we do know hkw he fairs in DC

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0hmFnLw0Y8v62acxLjpMCFeAsrC7CzBevTVV7iMr_QG1yFLFS7XIHp3i3

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/CTsAbW6bGzSzE7g2aA9I_uZCgCXllew99yzdmjcwKMeDqyvVMRMEUlIBjRdPhSpRpCZZNbe3GhN_f1fqUUiRIs1DZbSthQ74fIb1vf9ZnIwCwr7Ur6xSp-l9O3RcUblQ9wLUY-egiu-aCOYLRyko=w296-h497-nc

Originally posted by beatboks

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0hmFnLw0Y8v62acxLjpMCFeAsrC7CzBevTVV7iMr_QG1yFLFS7XIHp3i3

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/CTsAbW6bGzSzE7g2aA9I_uZCgCXllew99yzdmjcwKMeDqyvVMRMEUlIBjRdPhSpRpCZZNbe3GhN_f1fqUUiRIs1DZbSthQ74fIb1vf9ZnIwCwr7Ur6xSp-l9O3RcUblQ9wLUY-egiu-aCOYLRyko=w296-h497-nc

Absolutely amazing

can't see anything.

Originally posted by beatboks
What comic runs Doc Savage? If your talking his classic pulp he had some wicked over the top feats for a character of 1930's virtually performing science not discovered for decades later.

Cant speek for Marvel but we do know hkw he fairs in DC

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0hmFnLw0Y8v62acxLjpMCFeAsrC7CzBevTVV7iMr_QG1yFLFS7XIHp3i3

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/CTsAbW6bGzSzE7g2aA9I_uZCgCXllew99yzdmjcwKMeDqyvVMRMEUlIBjRdPhSpRpCZZNbe3GhN_f1fqUUiRIs1DZbSthQ74fIb1vf9ZnIwCwr7Ur6xSp-l9O3RcUblQ9wLUY-egiu-aCOYLRyko=w296-h497-nc

I'm referring to his recent Dynamite run, where he has made some amazing leaps, especially in the context of the era, yet lacks the absurd highs of Luthor, Reed, Stark etc.

Does he have villains to match?
Or is it just mooks?

Originally posted by Martian_mind
I'm referring to his recent Dynamite run, where he has made some amazing leaps, especially in the context of the era, yet lacks the absurd highs of Luthor, Reed, Stark etc.

I'll have to check it out. I'm a big fan of Golden Age stuff. When I was a kid in the 60's I bought a lot of my comics from second hand book stores where I got a LOT of GA stuff before I ever got things in my own era (unfortunately most of them were far from mint condition)

Better have done the character justice - Or I'll be on the ware path

@Riv- He lacks any real enemies, sadly. It's all mooks.

@beats- it is definitely worth checking out! One of my fave reads of last year.

Thanks, mm.
I remember realizing Superman had that problem in the 50s tv show as i got older.

It's a problem that faces a lot of comic book adaptions, sadly. Even in the MCU, Black Widow and Hawkeye have only ever fought mooks, and in BTAS, he'd often struggle with random gangsters.