Lord has an odd power. At the very, very start of discovery after Invasion, he was able to casually "nudge" Martian Manhunter without his noticing, or being able to defend against it. But Max never actually "entered" a mind to do it. He couldn't read minds or anything. However he did it, it wasn't treated the same as telepathy.. J'onn could at least detect/resist it, if it were, but he had no defenses at all.
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Doesn't Maxwell need years of prep to be effective...
He did what I said without any prep at all, as a noob.
Think about how powerful J'onnzz is. Max "nudged" him with minimal effort.
Essentially, Max is Purple Man lite. It doesn't matter how powerful a TP you are against Purple Man, his power WILL work on you.
Originally posted by cdtm
He did what I said without any prep at all, as a noob.Think about how powerful J'onnzz is. Max "nudged" him with minimal effort.
Essentially, Max is Purple Man lite. It doesn't matter how powerful a TP you are against Purple Man, his power WILL work on you.
So, he can just straight up influence people, no matter the will power? Who do you have here?
Originally posted by Zack M
So, he can just straight up influence people, no matter the will power? Who do you have here?
Like I said, Martian Manhunter was his test dummy. Max influenced his decisions, and J'onn had no idea it was Max's doing, until he told him.
That makes it pretty clear Max's power isn't exactly telepathy, but more akin to Purple Man or Jesse Custer. The only thing that blood amp did was increase his range and scope, since every time he uses his power he had a nose bleed.
Here's it is:
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Justice-League-America/Issue-41?id=60850&readType=0#3
Keith Giffen was totally basing this off Purple Man, just like he based characters like Dreamslayer on Mephisto, or Lobo on your average Marvel vigilante. He did that kind of stuff all the time.
Originally posted by cdtm
Like I said, Martian Manhunter was his test dummy. Max influenced his decisions, and J'onn had no idea it was Max's doing, until he told him.That makes it pretty clear Max's power isn't exactly telepathy, but more akin to Purple Man or Jesse Custer. The only thing that blood amp did was increase his range and scope, since every time he uses his power he had a nose bleed.
You're right. He did that in Rebirth, too. He influenced the entire team (Lobo, Emerald Empress, Johnny Sorrow, etc...).
Originally posted by krisblaze
I love Quire, favourite character in Marvel actually, but he has few big showings like Lord.
Was all set to make good on that Omega Level evolution thing...then nothing. He just keeps getting hyped up to be a big deal "one day."
Least his character is sorta intact, albeit not completely. Try being a Laura fan during/after Bendis's revamp. 🙁
Taylor didn't help much in All New Wolverine, and I'm not holding my breath with the new X-23 ongoing. I haven't read anything from the new writer, but it seems like this is just the new Laura sadly. I'm a broken record with this stuff, but I feel your pain.
Originally posted by StyleTime
His downgrade back to student must've hurt, eh?Was all set to make good on that Omega Level evolution thing...then nothing. He just keeps getting hyped up to be a big deal "one day."
Least his character is sorta intact, albeit not completely. Try being a Laura fan during/after Bendis's revamp. 🙁
Taylor didn't help much in All New Wolverine, and I'm not holding my breath with the new X-23 ongoing. I haven't read anything from the new writer, but it seems like this is just the new Laura sadly. I'm a broken record with this stuff, but I feel your pain.
I feel like he's posterboy for the new generation of ****bois and social justice shits.
Hoped he would end up in a new x-men type book once he was brought back. Little did I know how much such a book could suck.
Originally posted by StiltmanFTWSeems like Max's powers evolve.
Doesn't Maxwell need years of prep to be effective...
The first time he mindphucked everyone on earth, for example, Max required a large supply of extra blood and the effort still almost killed him:
Fast-forward to the end of the series, and he undid said global mindphuckery with NO extra blood stores and FAR less effort:
Originally posted by Galan007Max's level of mind-wiping is, frankly, ridiculous, considering what's on DC Earth.
Seems like Max's powers evolve.The first time he mindphucked everyone on earth, for example, Max required a large supply of extra blood and the effort still almost killed him:
Fast-forward to the end of the series, and he undid said global mindphuckery with NO extra blood stores and FAR less effort:
i've always found--in general--dc's psionic guys inferior to marvel though. most don't seem to have the skill feats to really go head-to-head with the best of marvel. there are a couple, obviously, but in general i mean. i think it's because there aren't many heroes in dc who USE psionic based attacks. aside from jonn none of the big guns use it at all. tp's are EVERYWHERE in marvel so the skill is much more closely scutinized and expanded on by writers. you have jonn and black (and maybe max i guess) who have some solid skill feats, but a lot of the others demonstrate brute force but little skill. has a whole i def think its an area dc lags in.