Originally posted by cdtm
How does Magik ever lose, if she's that powerful?
That said, she gets overstated quite frequently, especially in her normal form. Some of her best feats are also from 30+ years ago, and have been diminished through time. Her telepathic resistance is practically shot at this point, for example, possibly to do the various upgrades of her teammates. Her Soul Sword doesn't magically destroy people, and she's still relatively human: punching her in the face works just fine.
As for the fight, Wanda beat Phoenix Fragment Magik. Wanda's powers screw with the Phoenix, but I don't think Wanda is defenseless here.
Magik's power depends a lot on whether she's in Limbo or on Earth (unless this has changed lately). On Earth, she's around high meta or low herald. But in Limbo, she is a hell lord and as such quite equal to the likes of Mephisto or Hela (in their respective realms) i.e. high trans/low skyfather.
The potency of her Soul Sword doesn't seem to depend on where she is, though.
Originally posted by StyleTimeShe just shouldn't be a part of team books while also being a hell lord with supposedly awesome potential power. She should be either a hell lord or an X-Man, imo, and if it's the former, then leave her as an occasional appearance from the background of the X-universe.
I've been critical of Magik fans in the past, but I will admit there is some PIS at play.That said, she gets overstated quite frequently, especially in her normal form. Some of her best feats are also from 30+ years ago, and have been diminished through time. Her telepathic resistance is practically shot at this point, for example, possibly to do the various upgrades of her teammates. Her Soul Sword doesn't magically destroy people, and she's still relatively human: punching her in the face works just fine.
As for the fight, Wanda beat Phoenix Fragment Magik. Wanda's powers screw with the Phoenix, but I don't think Wanda is defenseless here.
Over-exposure cheapens her character and power level.
Originally posted by Smurph
She just shouldn't be a part of team books while also being a hell lord with supposedly awesome potential power. She should be either a hell lord or an X-Man, imo, and if it's the former, then leave her as an occasional appearance from the background of the X-universe.Over-exposure cheapens her character and power level.
She's ony that powerful in Limbo so it makes sense
Originally posted by Sin I AMSure. It made less sense when she internally housed Limbo. But she can also always draw on Limbo's power and always transport herself and others to Limbo in an instant. So we get silly moments like her sitting on the fact that she could have separated Colossus's connection to Cyttorak at any moment.
She's ony that powerful in Limbo so it makes sense
But I also just haven't bought in to her character writing, and I'm reacting to that too. IMO she'd be more interesting as a former hell lord, current teleporter with a sword and spells... but then they gave that to Pixie instead. Meh.
Originally posted by Smurph
Sure. It made less sense when she internally housed Limbo. But she can also always draw on Limbo's power and always transport herself and others to Limbo in an instant. So we get silly moments like her sitting on the fact that she could have separated Colossus's connection to Cyttorak at any moment.But I also just haven't bought in to her character writing, and I'm reacting to that too. IMO she'd be more interesting as a former hell lord, current teleporter with a sword and spells... but then they gave that to Pixie instead. Meh.
Pixie fits that bill better. Magik is best used sparingly or loki-esque. Like we know she's evil but we are gonna trust her anyway because shes Colossus little sister and a mutie.
Also her soul sword has limits it's not as hax as some would suggest
Re: Magik vs Scarlet Witch
Originally posted by cdtm
Would the SS work on Wanda's level of magic?
yes. The SS was able to block the magic of a chthon possessed Scarlet Witch.
Originally posted by Smurph
She just shouldn't be a part of team books while also being a hell lord with supposedly awesome potential power. She should be either a hell lord or an X-Man, imo, and if it's the former, then leave her as an occasional appearance from the background of the X-universe.Over-exposure cheapens her character and power level.
Which is why I want a permanent Space Squad, or reality jumping squad, of X-Men. The stronger characters get to cut loose more often when they aren't bound by the problems of living amongst more popular Earth heroes. Kinda like Rachel's intergalactic telepathy suddenly failing to track some schmoe on a subway when she returned to Earth...just to make her team seem relevant.
I say round up the more overpowered X-Men and send them on cosmic adventures. They come home for events, or at least really well-written character stuff. All these X-Titles spun out of Hickman's reboot, and none attempted this. Excalibur had an opportunity but botched the line-up. The new X-Factor writer said she will address Rachel's mismatched power level, but I don't have hopes.
Originally posted by Smurph
Sure. It made less sense when she internally housed Limbo. But she can also always draw on Limbo's power and always transport herself and others to Limbo in an instant. So we get silly moments like her sitting on the fact that she could have separated Colossus's connection to Cyttorak at any moment.But I also just haven't bought in to her character writing, and I'm reacting to that too. IMO she'd be more interesting as a former hell lord, current teleporter with a sword and spells... but then they gave that to Pixie instead. Meh.
Magik at least seems to perform well in Limbo still, but her human form is basically there to fulfill dominatrix fantasies for the reader.
Originally posted by cdtm
I've got to start hunting down Magik stories. She looks interesting.Does the SS have any weaknesses? Any way to bypass it?
Originally posted by StyleTimeYes a dedicated cosmic team would be rad. Makes me miss Exiles’ heyday.
I feel that way about several mutants tbh. I wanted Jean to stay Phoenix and get a cosmic series. Emma/Scott is > Jean/Scott anyway. I suspect mutants were never intended to get so high in power, so writers force conventional X-Stories onto folks who are well beyond that.Which is why I want a permanent Space Squad, or reality jumping squad, of X-Men. The stronger characters get to cut loose more often when they aren't bound by the problems of living amongst more popular Earth heroes. Kinda like Rachel's intergalactic telepathy suddenly failing to track some schmoe on a subway when she returned to Earth...just to make her team seem relevant.
I say round up the more overpowered X-Men and send them on cosmic adventures. They come home for events, or at least really well-written character stuff. All these X-Titles spun out of Hickman's reboot, and none attempted this. Excalibur had an opportunity but botched the line-up. The new X-Factor writer said she will address Rachel's mismatched power level, but I don't have hopes.
Yeah, Pixie 100% stole Magik's shine. And Tempus to an extent.
Magik at least seems to perform well in Limbo still, but her human form is basically there to fulfill dominatrix fantasies for the reader.
You bypass it by being a better martial artist and punching her lol. She's a lackluster swordsman.