The Visible Dark Side

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dim
GL and Co. have said that EP. 2&3 are going to be much darker in tone then EP 1. What do you think they mean by this? I know that the overall palette of the film will be darker and more geometric, but what other visual clues might they include? Looking back on OT it seems to me that the biggest visual aspect of the Dark Side is the cave on Dagaboh. Do you think they're going to use some more of those surreal type sequences to show Anakin's fall?

UnknownBountyHunter
No parades like at the end of TPM. Also, less glamorous scenes. More "dark alley" type looks. Kind of like in ANH and ESB.

Xizor
Yes, Empire darkness is needed(as is a great script and cast cohesivness). The dingy side of the galaxy needs to be seen. The horrors of slavery, the dark allies of lower coruscant(and the sad citizens oppressed by Palpy). More dark Sith encounters with lighting like in the Luke vs. Vader duels. Dark music and dark places like Dagabah(the cave), the asteroid belt, and the carbonite freezing chamber. Make it Dark scary, an incredible story and DARK!

Mace23
It will be interesting to see how this plays out in EII. GL has also come out and said that it will be more of a love story. Perhaps the darkness will slowly come out towards the end of the film. By dark of course the bright colors and such will be toned down and there will be more mood swings visible in Anakins actions.

Dim
Yeah, I agree with you guys...I can imagine Ep2 will have a dingy color palette contrasted with strong lighting and an moody emotional sway to it. What's really going to be fun to see is how freaky it's going to get in Ep3. I keep trying to figure out what Lucas thinks of when he imagines dark and sinister visual elements. I hope it gets quite a bit stranger than the Cave in Dagaboh..I've always felt that that could have been a little bit more threatening. I feel like Lucas is going to try to enhance that dark, empty void quality that the OT held, but I haven't a clue how he's going to do it.

Xizor
I feel the same. Irv Kirshner should direct EpIII(he says he wants the job). Or at least a director known for dark movies whose not so out of touch(like Lucas) with the job of directing.

Dim
I think Lucas could pull it off. I don't think Kershner could handle the 16 hour work days at his age, but I think it would be nice (and smart) to have Kershner throw his 2 cents worth in.

UnknownBountyHunter
At least he's on the crew of Episode II. HEY! I rhymed, how about that. Well gee golly gum your #1.

Darth Daft
Irvin Kershners on the Episode 2 crew? I never knew that. What is he doing exactly?

Gundark
I think its EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that George direct epIII. This film has to carefully bridge what he has built in epI and epII and the OT as we all know it. Tying the whole thing together doesn't involve just the rise of the empire and the fall of anakin, but every little delicate thread that George has woven into this whole fabric. "Will he finish what he begins?" HE HAS TO !!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH !!!

theEviljedi
Irvin will not at all be asociated with Epi.II.With Epi.III being dark I heard that Lucas is considering having him direct number 3.

Darth Daft
I heard that Lucas said that he can see no reason why he shouldn't direct all of the prequels. Also, he said that he is very eager to direct the fight scene between Anakin and Obi-Wan. I guess that shows that it won't just be a simple choreographed duel. There will also be a lot of drama included as well.

queeq
I hope I hope I hope someone like Kershner gets the job. Unless GL delivers one kick@ss movie with Ep2.

queeq out

Darth Daft
I agree. It should depend on how well he does with the first 2 prequels, whether he should direct the last installment of the saga.

theEviljedi
Watch your month queeq.Having Irvin would definetly make Epi.III the best Star Wars film,if not the best film ever made.

Darth Daft
Is ass really a swear word? I thought it was a donkey.

Anyway, one thing I forgot to mention about improvement for Episode 2 is the music. Personally I didn't really like the music in Ep1 as much as the music in OT. I hope John Williams brings it more to the style of the OT.

theEviljedi
It is also a name for a stupid person.

Darth Daft
We don't use it over here in England. We say arse which is the same as butt.

Gundark
I like arse. Hey DD, look at that chicken's cute little arse!

Darth Daft
Is it cooked?

King Jedi
A lot of people forget that Lucas was heavily involved in the filming of ESB and ROTJ. He directed some of the scenes on Degobah in ESB and he directed most of the end duel in ROTJ.

Darth Daft
Yes that is true. He said somewhere that he was on the set so much that he had many chances to interfere with the other directors' work and tell them his own opinion on what they were doing and a lot of things they changed to match his ideas.

Dim
Yeah...Lucas has always been the controling hand...I bet he'd be kind of hard to work for in that respect..

As for the "A" word......I personally don't look at is as a swear word..and I know we've used it on this forum before..but I need clarification...

(and EJ..you can be a little less harsh in your manner there.....smile )

theEviljedi
Yes mam.sad

Dim
Don't mean to get on you EJ...it's just that you come across as mean (and you're not)...

Cheer up little Buckeroo smile

theEviljedi
Yeah I know.smile

Xantos Clone
Yea! don't be an ASS! (just kidding!) come on, that was funny...we see you smiling!

Star wars is rated PG, so we can use it. Hey, if we can say 'POO DOO' or 'FADDER'....

and how could you not know I meant sEbulba...it was just a type-o. Admit it, you were being a wise guy...

my stock is falling.........

Darth Daft
All my videos say U, not PG. Is it different in America?

theEviljedi
They never said ass in Star Wars though.And I really thought that sAbulba was someone else like a senator.

Darth Daft
Is there a different age system in America? I heard you have something called R, which is 17+ or something.

theEviljedi
G,PG,PG-13,R,NC-17.

Darth Daft
Ah I see. And Star Wars is PG? Its just U over here, which I'm guessing is the same as G. We're not too strict over here with films. I heard the Blair Witch was NC17 over there in USA while on 15 here. 15 is probably the equivalent to R. God this is confusing, eh?

theEviljedi
Blair Witch was R.

Darth Daft
Ah I see. Blame my sister.

Dim
Okay..back on topic.. What kind of visuals do you think we'll see with the Dark Jedi?

Darth Daft
Sorry I'm a bit slow....duh.....What do you mean by "what kind of visuals?"

Dim
Visual clues that tell you that someone's a Dark Jedi

An example..

In the Sixth Sence you can see a small white tuft of hair mixed in with the rest of the hair of the guy (psychic)who kills Bruce Willis. Haley Joel Orsment has the same white tuft of hair...and he's also psychic..

Darth Daft
Personally I don't think they'd change much if they turned to the Dark Side. Perhaps their skin may go rather white like Anakin's and Palpatine's did. But then I guess that would only count if they're human-like. If there was a Dark Jedi Wookie or something, obviously they may not show the same features or characteristics as a human.

Gundark
DD, I think you took Dim literally. Palpatine was always covered in heavy dark robes and Vader was under total armor for years. Being evil (and human) doesn't have anything to do with getting paler in complexion. I think a visible thing we may see with Anakin could be what you might call "galaxy rage", like "road rage". Like say, he and Obi-Wan have a simple disagreement on something and after Obi-Wan leaves the room, Anakin pulls out his saber and whacks at a chair or the wall or something to vent his anger. Unlike when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had a difference of opinion, Obi-Wan simply backs off with a "yes master". No private violence afterward. Ya following me on this ???

Darth Daft
Ah, I see. Well I wish Dim would come here to clarify what she meant, just so that there's no more confusion.
Well anyway, I think taking advantage of your powers would be one hint that someone is turning to the Dark Side or is already indeed part of the Dark Side.
I mean, Rick MacCallum said in an interview (in UK's newest Star Wars Mag, I think) that the main reason that Anakin turns to the Dark Side is because of the fact that he is so powerful. He is a kind, loveable Jedi Knight with great powers, but as he is the Chosen One he takes advantage of the fact and becomes "too good" if you like. He uses his powers to his advantage and is overcome by anger and hatred while using them. That might not definately be how other Jedi turn to the Dark Side, but I'm pretty sure that'll be how Anakin does.

Dim
DD, I do have a job now you know...I can't be on here 24/7 big grin

And actually I was wondering on various things...from body language to color schemes clothing..(the black robe seems to be a given). One visual clue is that the sith always conceal themselves..I wonder what we would think if GL plopped a Masquarde ball in EP2 to show the corrupted nature of the Dark Jedi...

Darth Daft
Sorry, Dim, I didn't really mean it like that. Weren't exactly saying, "Dim! Get your butt over here right now!"
I was just saying that it would make things easier as soon as you came to explain what you meant. So thanx for doing so.

I agree with your point about concealing themselves and I also still believe that most/all of them like to conceal their real identity. All of the Sith have done that so far, as long as you believe that the Galaxy doesn't know that Vader is Anakin.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.