PSP -- [Playstation Portable] [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
As promised a few months ago by Sony of Japan, a beta model of the PSP, Sony's "Game Boy", was unveiled. Attached is a photo of the preliminary model and the UMD disc that is used to store info... and apparently can hold way more than the average PS2 disc... about 3 or 4 times more. (Blue Laser DVD). It was clipped from the Jan 2004 issue of OPM, Official US Playstation Magazine (my fav big grin)

Tex
WOW!
Looks very fabulous and Oh so expen$ive! raver

SpikeSpiegel
Yeah, especially now that they've boosted its RAM up to 32Meg from 8Meg. It's got touch sensitive controls and is just a bit bigger than a PS2 controller.

SaTsuJiN
I bet even if you bump into something with it itll stop working... i remember when my ps fell half a foot off the top of my tv to the back of the tv.. and it stopped working. Sony makes thier stuff too delicate most of the time. I hope this isnt the case as portables are designed to be roughed around with

LanceWindu
This looks so thin that there is very little to get shaken loose from a fall, which is a good thing,

Daedalus
I agree on the whole Sony makes their machines too fragile, I've had about 4 PS2s, lol and did you know that the reason the CD lens claps out so quick is because its (if memory serves, I could be wrong) is a 4x speed cd drive running at 6x speed.

LanceWindu
My PS2 broke a month and a half ago...and I took it apart (voiding the warranty) and then messed around with it...it works now, except minor glitches.

And the disc tray is really sticking when it opens...needs to be lubed up I guess.

SpikeSpiegel
I've had my PS2 for a year and a half and I've had no problems with it.
*touches wood quickly*

alic88
OH IF THERE IS 1 PERSON WHOZ HAD PROBLEMS WITH HIS PS2 ITS ME. i can never get my lens fixed. i fix it but a month later the same problem comes, the ps2 doesnt read the cd. and the same problem is going on right now. DAMN

Daedalus
The cd tray gets clogged out with dirt to easily it gets louder and slower every time you open/close it

Linkalicious
IMO portable gaming systems are a waste of money and are entirely too childish. Other than long road trips...i don't see a purpose of owning one.

sith_darth_jay
road trips... that's the only purpose

JKozzy
But oh so cool!

In an article I saw a few months back, it said that FFVII was being remade for the "Portable GBA"... but now that I think of it, maybe it's being remade for PSP! That would make muuch more sense..... and be much cooler big grin

DracotheDragon
How about taking over to a friends house when there is nothing to do Linkalicious? There is a purpose for Portable gaming systems, but otherwise, you are right.

Linkalicious
if you are going to a friends house...then why the hell are you playing portable video games instead of hanging out with your friend? u gonna sit there playing portables while he is getting ready for the night is 1 thing...but in this modern era who the hell doesn't have a console hooked up at home? so why not just play that instead?

JKozzy
Maybe there's a game you two want to play that's only on there. Golden Sun and GS2: The Lost Age is a great example: good ol' 2-d Turn based RPG with 2 player versus mode-- that's cool. Now imagine a PSP and the multiplayer options that could present. The same games aren't released for portables as consules, but that doesn't mean the games aren't any less fun.

SpikeSpiegel
And you can take it on holiday with you, or to your grans or somewhere.

sith_darth_jay
again... road trips!!!!!

JKozzy
ORIGINAL GAMING!

§pearhead
I haven't taken a look at this much but I guess its a good idea (forgive my laziness i dont feel like checking it out)

Tex
Will it have a backlit screen (Gameboy SP) or will you have to shine a light source on it?

SpikeSpiegel
I'll go find out for you.

LanceWindu
I would hope it's backlit.

Unless they are planning on doing what Nintendo did with GBA.

Sell a bunch of copies of PSP, then after they start slowing down, sell PSP SE's with backlit screens, to make more money.

Linkalicious
totally agree lance

SaTsuJiN
it most likely will be backlit. who wants a portable to take into a dark car ride if you cant see the damn thing? (thus GBA : SP)
I just hope the screen is very clear... lcd has this problem where the images blur around alot if the action on screen is too fast. Also I desire some good sound... at least some high quality monaural if they cant squeeze in stereo

JKozzy
Definetly will be backlit. big grin Sound should be DVD qual, or so I'd think.

JKozzy
E3: PSP Games Announced
By Mike Viscel - 5/11/2004 1:11:07 PM
The much anticipated PlayStation Portable (PSP) was revealed today at the Sony conference in Los Angeles today. With that, came the most important information...games. So what games and developers are on board with Sony and their new handheld? Keep reading!

At the show, Sony showed a few clips of games to a live audience at their conference. The game's graphics looked as good, if not better than what is currently on the PS2. The two systems will have connectivity, similar to what Nintendo does now with the Game Boy Advance and GameCube system.

According to Sony all major game companies are on board for PSP development--34 from Japan and 24 from North America.

Sony showed quick clips of Death Jr., Ape Escape, Spiderman, FIFA, Twisted Metal and Tony Hawk, all believed to be in development now.

EA also claimed to be on board developing for the PSP with some of their biggest franchises such as, NBA Street, NFL Street, Tiger Wood PGA Tour Golf and Need for Speed Underground. All four will be available at launch.

All games will be in seen in 16X9 aspect ratio and will have real-time lighting and bump mapping.

big grin big grin

http://www.gamedaily.com/e3/article.asp?articleid=443&sectionid=24

Rambo
I'd like to be able to play GTA III and Vice City

Red Superfly
Um, at first I thought Nintendo were going to be absoloutely killed by the PSP - until I watched E3 yesterday as they unveiled their PSP competitor - the Nintendo DS (Dual Screen).

The DS is backlit, and you can play over a wireless network, for free, and it has two screens (one for a radar one for the main game) and everything, and it's more powerful than the PSP (as it is always with Nintendo vs Sony)

I knew Nintendo were cooking up something secretly but they just blew PSP away with the DS.

JKozzy
I don't care about power, Xbox is most powerful and it's the worst system, it's got the shittiest game selection I've ever seen, minus a few good games, like Halo, except it's also for PC, so power definetly isn't everything. Sony has way better franchises than Nintendo overall, but I'm going to end up getting both systems. Someone should make a Nintendo DS thread...

Samas-adian
"Sony has way better franchises than Nintendo". I dont know about you, but the best games ever made have been Nintendo franchises. Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, these are classic franchises. Sony does have alot of games but most of thier franchises have been ripped off from Nintendo. Ex. Crash Bandicoot

PSP looks killer but i hope when you buy it, you have about 100 AA batteries to be able to play it.

And remember the time when you could drop the N64 or any other Nintendo system on the floor, or run it over with the car or whatever...and to fix it, you just blowed on it. Those were NOT fragile pieces of equipment.

greyboy
i lika to say....HOLY CRAP!!~ that looks awesome....I want....but wont get for so long....

doh..

JKozzy
Blowing on it would get moisture on it roll eyes (sarcastic)
And I'm pretty sure the PSP will have a rechargable battery, the GBA SP does... wink

Samas-adian
Hahahah, but it still wouldnt break anyways. If you had a NES, blowing it it was the norm...Funny story actually.... it was christmas and i got lifesaver sucking candy...i had one in my mouth while play NES...i didnt work so i blew in it and accidently shot my lifesave into the cartridge part of the NES..so they next couple of years i had a grape lifesaver at the very end of my nes..but it still worked.

Well... i havnt seen anything official concerning a rechargable battery..but even still if their was the PSP will probably still drain rather quickly. Im sorry but the graphics on the PSP will drain batteries really quickly...just look at all the other handhelds..ex game gear..

ZomBiE_HunTER
I know its not out yet but whos thinking about getting it.

JLred
I thought about it but then i decided to get the DS

ZomBiE_HunTER
im still thinking.

Unholy_Cheese
Just came out today in Japan apparently. 20 000 people or something lining up.

JToTheP
IMO, it's games look like crap, but we'll see after it comes to the US, since Gameplay over Graphics anyday. The blue discs are CD-Roms to, DVDs are the DVD-Rom silver discs, which are huge.

eleveninches

The Ones
its called a PSP. its not a PS1 or a PS2. you have to buy the games all over again. but they dont have the same games as the current consoles games. (eg: metal gear solid has become metal gear acid) and there are only 25 games released so far

eleveninches
is it more like a ps1 or a ps2?

The Ones
it has some ps2 games and some ps1 games on it

belly_jeans349
so are you saying the graphics on it can handle both ps1 and ps2???

The Ones
no what im saying is theyve taken some ps1 games and some ps2 games and remade them so the psp can handle it

dave123
it's like a game boy... only better zorro and with PS titles

eleveninches
looks good

JKozzy
Hopefully Sony will back it with several good ports and many original games.. we'll see where we are in a year.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I hope when it gets released in the states the defects will be resolved.

JKozzy
What defects are there? Explain; or post a link to some sort of information? I haven't heard anything about the PSP's release in Japan. All info. would be much appreciated.

Edit: Got this from the DS thread... should be discussed here anyway:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/17/news_6115293.html

or if the link does not work, "According to dozens of forum posts and lower-end game sites, many of the first PSPs released suffered from a variety of defects, including "dead pixels, dead drives, analog sticks not working and even falling off, and even screens with dust and 'air bubbles,'" according to Engadget. A more-spectacular alleged problem was the so-called "Master of the Flying UMD Guillotine Trick." According to reports--one of which even featured video evidence--if you twist the PSP a certain way, the UMD drive opens, causing the disc to come flying out like a throwing star. Luckily, GameSpot can address both of these rumors head on. While in Japan last weekend, GameSpot editors did observe some PSPs with dead pixels, but did not see any evidence of the other defects. As to the flying-disc glitch, we were brave enough to use one of our precious PSP units to test the theory. We stabilized the unit with our left hand, turned forward ever so slightly with our right and--SHAZAM!--out the disc popped.

Bogus or not bogus?: "Riddled" is a bit extreme, but there were defective models. Not entirely bogus. As for the flying-disc trick: Not bogus, in our experience."

Battery functionality:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/12/news_6114909.html

Any more info?

ZomBiE_HunTER
Im pretty sure thats it.Unless im missing sumthing.

ZomBiE_HunTER
What games should I get with my PSp

ZomBiE_HunTER
Whos getting the PSP??

Heather 29
will the playstation portable be able to play the regular playstation Games? how much dose it cost? how good are the graphics on it.
sounds good. when does it come out? i am intriged.
good night all. or should I say good morning I am going to bed

eleveninches
Does the PSP have any bluetooth applications or access to the internet in any way?

ZomBiE_HunTER
It wont have Bluetooth or internet.

Draco69
I will soon. They're working on it. It will come out likely within this year or the next.

ZomBiE_HunTER
On the internet not the bluetooth.

WindDancer
Well, the psp has been released. It seems sales look very positive. I called my local gamestop and Best Buy and guess what? Sold Out!

Not bad for Sony.

Dark Mousy
Can someone tell me if you can download movies from the comp to the PSP?

Ritoshi

JKozzy
Pretty sure that was common knowledge, I thought that you were going to post about homebrew or hacks or something interesting.

Ritoshi
Not allowed on the site!

JKozzy
Why not? I see nothing against discussing homebrew and such. As long as no ROM links are provided, there's no reason it can't be discussed; it's legitimate PSP information and talk. confused

Ritoshi
Originally posted by JKozzy
Why not? I see nothing against discussing homebrew and such. As long as no ROM links are provided, there's no reason it can't be discussed; it's legitimate PSP information and talk. confused Then start posting stuff evil face

JKozzy
Alright, so what firmware versions does everyone have? I had 1.52 and then upgraded to 2.00, to downgrade to 1.50 in order to play homebrew in Kernal mode, and for emulation of my favorite SNES games (that I already have) for on-the-go action. There are plenty of loaders that bypass the 2.00 requirement so I can play my game UMDs without upgrading, so I'm fine at where I am now. 2.00 has the TIFF eloader, 2.01-2.60 have the GTA Exploit, and 2.7.... I pity the fool who upgrades to 2.7 for Flash 6... sick

IcePunk
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I hope this isnt the case as portables are designed to be roughed around with It sadly is, but I wouldnt say the same about the DS, I've dropped mine countless times and it only has some scratches big grin

harppie brother
Hate to brake this but the Sony PSP is out and it can get scratch it easily

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.