What is Law?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Asami
To me law is a set of rules set by the state that we have to follow in order not to get punished.

But then I think that the whole point of having law is to protect humanity, preventing us from getting harmed.

However theres laws where we have to pay taxes/tuition fees/silly stuff.

How can we define law? Are all laws valid?

My own definition is too simplifed and I don't like having to pay for tuition fees - a labour government who is meant to support the poor yet makes the poor, poorer!

yerssot
hehe, in my class, the prof answered it with:
"Law is what we could describe as the rules of the game"
so, your definition is close to his wink

§pearhead
Taxes' main purpose is so that that government can continue to enforce these laws, since funds are needed to maintain roads, police forces, armed forces, et cetera.

lil bitchiness
Did you know, that accross the world we have 32 million laws to enforce 10 comandments ideas! thumb up

Law is a set of rules on which one society has agreed upon. Not all countries and societies have the same laws, so i suppose, its something that paticular group of people have agreed on.

Fitch
laws are crap but extremely necesarry,otherwise it would b complete chaos.I tend to keep it by the rules..in some cases evil face

lil bitchiness
Anarchy!

some poeple believe it in...yes

Fitch
not me big grin

Dexx
Law is a set of rules on which one society has agreed upon??
hah...no freakin way...i havent' agreed on anything...a constitution is created, and it's either voted or not. If not...you stick to the old one.
But i have never agreed on aone or the other....maybe i like neither.
Yes, laws are supposed to stop anarchy...and also to make it easy for the leading party to keep the strings, sort to say....
Laws are tricky....and it's a priviledge to really know them, know how to get around, and how to bend and twist them to your own good.
Why do you think lawyers are so dangerous? wink

silver_tears
To me law is a way of life.
It defines how you act and what you do. But I don't really think that without law there would be chaos. I think people are born knowing what is right or wrong, so if there wasn't a law against murder, I don't think that everyone would commit it. More people may speed and all, but that's understandable cool
And I plan on going to law school evil face

kalantiaw
the law is a bunch of technicality. there are too many flaws. too many loopholes. but it is indeed necessary. the penalties though, are bit stoopid. the murderer would be out first before the pothead. listed sexual offenders are allowed back into neighborhoods without supervision. there is something f*cked up about that in my opinion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.