Jedi Outcast is out...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
... and it rocks. Well, once you get your sabre, anyway.

Got my copy today, and have spent the day playing throug to the bit when you finally meet the bad guy (who thrashes you with little effort), quickly return to the Valley of the Jedi from the first game, and then off to Yavin to meet Luke Skywalker and start to (re) learn your Froce powers.

Playing up to that point was a gruelling experience; I chose a high difficulty level to make the game last longer but actually it made the game more irritating, as you have to blast your way through upwards of a hundred bad guys each level with horribly inaccurate and/or slow weapons, and the stormtroopers aren't quite as rubbish as they were in Jedi Knight, meaning on hard level there is a lot of saving and reloading until you get it right.

Everything gets MUCH better once you get into force powers/sabre territory., and I just wiped out a bar full of bad guys, flipping and somersaulting and pushing and slashing and everything you would expect from a Jedi, and I feel MUCH better.

Now I want to meet Lando (vocied by Billy Dee Williams, no less!)

Recommended to everyone, if you can be bothered to get through the early bits...

yerssot
going to a shop this week, hoping to get it by the end of the month!

Ushgarak
The controls are far more compact than JK's, for example, Force Jumping is now activated by holding down jump rather than having a seperate key. Likewise, throwing your sabre is done with the alternate fire button, saving another key. You'll still need an efficient set-up, though. as you have an inventory, gun selection and force powers selection to play around with,

Multi-play is rather more arcadey with a whole host of extra force powers which will complicatr things further still, but if you could handle it for the last game you can handle it now.

Sounds are pretty good.

Graphics are great but not startling- the exception being the sabre moves; with other 200 animated moves (comprising 3000 frames) they sure look the business; the way the main bad guy casually twirled his sabre as he waited for your next feeble attack on him was paticularly cool.

Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers for your graphics card; my copy wouldn't run until I downloaded the latest.

yerssot
sounds great! What about the story? is it reasonable?
Big maps?

Ushgarak
The first map is absolutely HUGE.

The story seems pretty good; I was surprised to see it drawing on plot elements of the original, mentioning Jerec and, as I say, the Valley that was the climax of the original.

Luke Skywalker (sadly not Hamil-voiced) is on form as well, seeming every bit the person you would expect Luke to be.

It's littered with EU refences as well, but nothing from the NJO.

yerssot
going to stop asking questions because I really want that game now!!!!

can you rate it, as a last thing?

Ushgarak
I'll give it an 8 out of then for now, but bear in mind I haven't seen much of the game; haven't fought a single sabre duel, experienced the force advancement systems or any multi-play, so that's a bit rough.

Certainly at the difficulty level I chose those early levels were very irritating,t hough.

LanceWindu
The game sounds great. What platforms is it for? PC, X-Box, PS2???

yerssot
certainly PC, but I think they're also going to release it on other platforms too

LanceWindu
If it comes out for the PS2 then I'll get it for that. Otherwise I'm getting it for PC

Ushgarak
Yes, very much designed as a PC game both in its capacity as a seqiel to Jedi Knight (and the original Dark Forces game from WAAY back) and as a replacement for losing Obi-Wan. I am unsure of conversion possibilities.

Update: The sniper rifle is horrible. WHich is to say, it is very good, with an amazing zoom function. But for n apparent reason it cannot be blocked by sabres, despite being an energy weapon. The Nar Shadda level is made hideusly difficult by putting snipers all over the pl;ace that can zap you down, sabre or not. Wich doesn't feel much like the films.

It's a shame; I want to be good with a sabre, which involves learning all the moves, choosing from three different fighting styles (two bonus styles for the bad guys, as well), and combining it with the acrobatics and force powers system. Then I can kill lots of people.

If you want to be good with the sniper rifle you just pont and shoot.

Oh well. The sabre is more stylish, anyway, and maybe there is a counter to the rifle I am unaware of.

LanceWindu
Maybe, you could either go and try to search for it in the game or you could hit a game FAQ's site and try to find it.

He-Man
OOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUU YEEEEEEEEEAAAH!!!!!

I bought the game yesterday and since then I haven't anything else than playd it. It has to be the best game since Half-Life. It's just beautiful...everything about it; graphics are exellent, and the souds and music are the best I've seen in any game so far. The sniper rifle thing is the only not so good thing about the game, but I'm sure we'll have a mod for that soon enoug. The lightsaber fighting and the Force powers are the best thing about the game.

The puzles are a little too difficult but it only makes me play the game longer.

Ush, have you tried the multiplayer and bots yet? I can tell ya the bots are amazing as their skills are taken staight from the movies. I played the saber only mp mode with my fried for something like 6 hours straight and it was amazing. Couldn't stop it,

The only real bad thing about this game is that I can't stop playing it...I'm totally adicted to this game. It's simply the best FPS I've ever played or heard about. And it's even in the Star Wars universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile big grin wink laughing out loud cool rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing

yerssot
so what are you doing here, posting?

He-Man
Had to keep a little brake since I've been playing it for soooo long now. I've only played and slept and ate since yesterday. I've playd it for like 14 hours today!!!

LanceWindu
I really really want to play that game!!!

How much does it cost???

yerssot
*crosses fingers*
please keep it low, please keep it low

Ushgarak
30 quid; convert that how you like.

Haven't actually tried MP yet. I want to do some single player duelling first.

I understand the multi-player duelling is simplified to reduce lag issues, which is a shame.

LanceWindu
*scratches head*

Quid, what's that???

yerssot
Think it's pound?

Price isn't that bad, I think

Ushgarak
A quid is a pound like a buck is a dollar. Say, 40 dollars. But less if games are cheaper in the US.

yerssot

LanceWindu
Not bad at all. I can almost afford that.

Ushgarak
Well, just done the bits with Lando. Billy Dee Williams sounds spot on (though, as ever with voiceovers, not QUITE as 'motivated' as he sounds in the films) and I must say the graphic looks just like him (well, as he was. I hae no idea what BDW looks like now, 20 years on).

A shame you have to protect him at one point. Ok, admittedly I doubt whether even Lando could have taken on the thirty or so bad guys you see simultaneously, but while he is a cracking shot in the game all he does is stand there and fire back until they kill him (unless you intercede).

His ship is nice, though.

He-Man

He-Man
Ou...I just read from jediknightii.net how you get the double bladed lightsaber on for the multiplayer. I'm going to test that now.

yerssot
tell me please!

peluffo
Until AOTC release, this IS the best notice of the year!!!!

Original Dark Forces an Jedi Knight gave me TOO many hours of fun and adventure!!!!!!!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!

(BTW, I'll buy it PIRATED for U$S 15, cause here we will not see the original one for a looooooong time due the economy MAELSTROM)

He-Man
Shit... I didn't get the lightstaff work. Ah I don't really care.

Damn, I just haven't had this much fun playing any game ever. This game Rocs. I think it's simply the best game ever. It even beats my long time favourite Tie Fighter. Now this is a game.

LanceWindu
Wow. I like the part about the body parts flying when you slash them off.

Ushgarak
The lightstaff is just a fancy graphic they threw in; there is no proper coding for fighting with it.

They say they may put single-player style sabre fighting in with a patch. I bloody hope so.

peluffo
mad mad mad mad
CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE!!!!!
sad

LanceWindu
I know!!!

yerssot
hmmm, I'm reconsidering plan B... stealing it at all cost!
Ush... where do you life exactly?

He-Man
Why don't you just buy it. I'm sure you'll get it much quicker that way. smile It's not even that expencive.

yerssot
errrr; it's rather impossible for me to do that now... I'm hoping that I can get it tomorrow

He-Man
So it's not out in Belgium yet?
Well it's not out here untill tomorrow, but luckily I got to buy it from Sweden. smile rolling on floor laughing smile

yerssot
I don't know if it's out here, but I'll tell you when I'll find it

Ushgarak
Those Reborn feel scary but you soon get the hang of them. I just killed two in two seconds, not counting the stylish slo-mo it goes into when you kill a sabre opponent.

Fast stance backstab rules!

yerssot
allow me to drool a bit ...
*starts drooling*
Thank you big grin

You mean you can backstab people? In a flashy way?

Excuse me, I'm going to drool some more!

He-Man
The final boss was too easy though (or I had too much luck). He jumped over me while I had the strong Kyle selected and I turned and hit him in the back with my lightsaber. Well that only happened when I played it for the first time, and since then it hasn't been that easy. I was too lucky at first I say.

I read that has happened to some other people too.

yerssot
BE lucky then!

LanceWindu
Luck is a good thing to have on your side

He-Man
Not in this case.

LanceWindu
Why not?

He-Man
Because I wanted the boss to be harder. Or take longer to pass.

yerssot
where can you find the patches?

He-Man
If you are talking about the mods I was talking about earlier, check out http://www.massassi.net or http://www.jediknightii.net.

Julie
What?....Jedi outcast....ohhhh..where...where wink

LanceWindu
When are they going to come out with a demo for this game on the internet.

yerssot
for realistic battlethings, like loosing an arm...

Load Jedi Outcast Single Player.

Press + to open console.

Type "devmapall" in console and press .

Type "g_saberRealisticCombat 1" and press . Note: 1 is used to enable functions, 0 to disable.

He-Man
I don't think they are going to make a demo for the game anymore Lance. Or maybe they will but usually not after the relese.

yerssot
just a few weeks more... then I can play too!

He-Man
A few WEEKS!!!
I know I don't have your patience Yerss, but WEEKS??? How can you wait that long?

Ushgarak
Yerss, that post of yours makes no sense. You can sever limbs by default in single player.

yerssot
I have no idea Ush, I just saw that on a certain site...

He-Man
Well actually it does make sence. Normally you can only sever arms, with that thing you can sever anything. What ever you like. Arms, heads, legs... you can even slize the people in half.

Ushgarak
Oooh. Though... rather pointless.

yerssot
let me get it again...
slashing troopers in two... pointless... hmmm...

He-Man
Yeah... It's far from pointless. It's so damn fun.

LanceWindu
Sweet. I want to cut them in half too.

I read on the official Jedi Outcast II site that there is no demo at this point but they might come out with one. Not much is known at this point.

yerssot
why is Belgium always with the last to get these things???

LanceWindu
Because you guys suck?

Ushgarak
You people worry me...

yerssot
who? Lance or me?

LanceWindu
I think he means Belgium's.

Julie
I saw Jedi Outcast today when I was shoe shopping. It looks good, but I didn't get it.

LanceWindu
Why not? You don't feel like chopping up some Stormtroopers?

Julie
No I don't fell like spending $50....I might trade in TPM and The X-files to get Outcast cheaper...

LanceWindu
I bet X-Files got old fast didn't it?

yerssot
50$ ????

Ok, now I'm seriously doubting if it will ever come here!

Ushgarak
All you chop-happy manaiacs, that's what I'm worried about. Anyway, I cut someone in half without that console alteration of yerssot's, so I still don't know what it does; makes it more common, I guess.

yerssot
isn't it fun to use the sabre?

Ushgarak
Amazingly, but I don't see the need to be severing limbs left right and centre. You VERY rarely see it in actual Star Wars.

LanceWindu
Only because GL tries to keep the rating system off his back. Not too much violence.

Julie
I guess you could say that the x-files game got old...I beat it twice and haven't touched it since....

LanceWindu
HaHa. I don't really like the newer X-files anyway.

Julie
Yes sadly the series has sunk in quality the last few years.... Seasons 1-5 were the best.

Ushgarak
So, with the single player game done, I await for them to improve the multi-player sabre fighting... and do something about some of the more silly multi-player Force powers.

yerssot
you already finished it?
Doesn't sound like a big game then

Ushgarak
As big as most you can mention. FPS games are never huge, but I played it for hours every day.

yerssot
was it fun? Nice levels?

Ushgarak
On the whole, yes. Though Desann IS too easy to beat; they should have made tha a straight sabre fight.

I note you can't use the sniper rifle on HIM... or indeed, any weapon except the sabre. Good!

(BTW, there is something to neutralise the sniper rifle in multi-play only).

LanceWindu
How do you neutralise the sniper rifle in multi?

yerssot
that's not important!

Listen very carefully Ush, THIS question is very important!
Do you have the Force power called Force-choke?

Julie
That sounds evil;, I thought Kyle was supposed to be a good guy now

Ushgarak
Nothing inherently evil about Force Choke. But that said, this game is NOT an accurate Jedi simulator, any more than the ship-to-ship force lightning in Jedi Starfighter is in any way accurate.

Anyway, yerss, yes.

And Lance, maximum level in Force Seeing allows you to dodge sniper fire. This is multi-play only. It's a poor solution, really.

Julie
Have you beaten the game yet?

yerssot
*starts a big happydance*

Ushgarak
Yes I have, Julie.

LanceWindu
BTW Julie. Ush beat the single player mode.

Julie
wow...how long did it take you to beat it???

LanceWindu
He said something like it didn't take him long but he was also playing it for many hours a day.

Ushgarak
Yes indeedy.

yerssot
you forget that Ush is very good in these things!
He already said the level of Nar Shadaa was dificult with all those snipers, so I'm pretty sure it will take me, if I finally get it, a few days to play that one

mah
I wonder if it's even out in norway yet, haven't found it.

Ushgarak
Just save a lot on Nar Shadda, yerss. It's not literally hard, it's just very tedious.

yerssot
how can I do that without the game???
I can't take it anymore!
*jumps through the window*
Ok, can you all please answer me how it comes that we are NOT at the roof?

mah
I've read some reviews that point out that there's too much 'jumping around puzzles' for ex. just to open a door.
is this a problem?

yerssot
the more puzzles the marrier!
I just hope to get some nice clean choking and some good rockthrowing to make my game smile

Ushgarak
It is a LITTLE puzzle heavy in places, but to be honest it's barely noticable; more noticable are the couple of places where you really do seem to have no way on, which is a tad unforgivable these days (to make it so unclear, that is)

Julie
Puzzles are only enjoyable after I've beaten them....until then...grrrrr wink

LanceWindu
I hate puzzel's the stump me too much

Ushgarak
Ok, just so everyone knows... yerssot's earlier spoiler cheat is for multi-player. 'devmap' is a multi-play command; you type 'HelpusObi 1' for singe play.

LanceWindu
That stinks, it means that you have to type more than you need to.

BTW, Ush have you had a chance to patch in your own skins for a character yet?

Ushgarak
Actually, I rarely bother with that sort of thing. Maybe if they do a big collection of skins later, but ont the whole I'm happy just looking like a Jedi.

And I am not greatly enamoured by the multi-play anyway; it's incredibly frenetic and while it might make for a good deathmatch experience it doesn't feel very Star Wars like.

Julie
So are you going to get Star Wars Galaxies...that's all multiplayer....isn't it?

LanceWindu
I'm definately going to try to get Star Wars Galaxies

peluffo
AFAIK Star Wars Galaxies will be an RPG online

c eek! eek! l

LanceWindu
I know!!!!

Ushgarak
It will be outside my price range and bandwidth.

KOTOR, on the other hand... I played the Baldur;s Gate games to death multi-player, I ecpect it to be no different with that one.

I'd happily play JO co-operative against bots, though even that is rather shallow right now.

He-Man
One good thing about the first Jedi Knight is that there are hundreds or maybe even thousounds of mods for the game. And they are still coming. I hope JO will get that many mods too... they make the game so much better sometimes.

Ushgarak
They never really cracked co-op play for Jedi Knight, though. The sync code was just all wrong.

I've been playing that fan-made ladder map- a single player map in which you fight increasingly skillful and numerous enemies in sabre fights. A great place to practice your single-player sabre skills (still hoping the multi-play gets a conversion to single-player style).

Also been using the codes to try out the other two sabre stances, which are nice.

yerssot
Are you talking about the level were you fight 54 Reborns in waves and then two Dark Jedi including the final boss??? eek!

Ushgarak
Yup.

LanceWindu
Cool

Ushgarak
Utterly impossible unless you save a lot or spwan in a load of friendly Jedi on your side. But a great place to practice.

LanceWindu
Practice is always good.

Ushgarak
Completely wasted unless they start using the single-player sabre system in multi-play, of course.

yerssot
how can you call in friends?

Ushgarak
Via the console. Cheating in single-player, of course, but that ladder levlel is designed for you to call friends in if you wish.

yerssot
are you talking about RL friends?

Julie
Call a friend, huh.....I don't play that many video games so I'm a bit out of touch with tech of them, How long have you been able to do something like play 2 player in a single mode?

Ushgarak
No, AI friends. Or it wouldn't be a single-player level, now, would it? Nor would it have the single-player sabre fighting.

yerssot
don't look at me! technically I don't have the game!

Ushgarak
I don't think you need to own the game to work out that it would be impossible to call in real life friends in a single-player level...

LanceWindu
Yes otherwise it wouldn't be called single player now would it?

yerssot
*smiles and nods*
What command do you need to write to get those to join the party?

LanceWindu
BTW I forgot to tell you guys I downloaded a demo of Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith. As some of you might know it is just one in the series of games starring Kyle Katarn.

I didn't really think much of the demo. I only got to play level one and it wasn't much of anything. I wish it was a longer demo but I can't get any better.

Out of a 5 star system I give it:

Graphics: **
Sound: **
Gameplay: ***
Control System: *
Story: ***

Not the best game out there.

yerssot
that's because you have to play Outcast! I can't wait anymore!!

Ushgarak
Mysteries of the Sith is ANCIENT! Hardly fair to review it like that.

But what don't you like about the control system? It's just a standard FPS set-up.

And the storyline is pants.

LanceWindu
The default controls were spaced out too far on the keyboard. Then they didn't even have all of the buttons assigned. They also only let me start with a couple of Force moves. I had to re-assign almost every button. It took too much time for a stinkin demo.

It was also hard to learn what buttons do what. Even after reading which buttons do what.

BTW MOTS is from 1998.

He-Man
But Jedi Knight is from 1997 and so is the game engine. That makes the mots' graphics and stuff old too. I dunno about the demo but in the full version you can assign all the keys. The controls aren't any more difficult than any other fps. The player is way too fast though.

LanceWindu
I agree with you on that. Kyle was way too fast.

Mujaffa
need outcast..... very nice pics and .... it's great nice... let's hope that i', playing it next week

Julie
so you don't have it yet either, huh?

yerssot
ha! 11 days and then you won't see me for a long time I think

mah
unless we play JO onlinesmile

Julie
What shall I do without Yerssot there to exasperate me sad

yerssot
you can do several things...
including:
being happy that I'm not online...
being sad that I'm not online...

Julie
hmmm...I'm not sure which I'd want.....I think I'd rather miss the exasperated feeling..... sad
oh well....you'll have to surface once in awhile esp after you beat JO wink

yerssot
but then you have the Multiplayer section smile

Julie
ah so then you can play the game forever....but won't you grow tired of it eventually....

LanceWindu
You could play the game forever and it's a given that you'll get tired of it. That's why they keep coming out with bigger and better games.

yerssot
and new SW movies smile

He-Man
Unfortunately there won't be more than one more SW movie after AOTC has come out....outs mad ...I've never even thought of that before. sad Now I'm pissed.

yerssot
If I were you, I would be happy not to be pissed on stick out tongue

say... what will happen to the forum after EpIII?
Close the SW sections?

He-Man
So you are happy there's only one more SW coming after AOTC???

He-Man
I'm dumb Yearss...I didn't get what you said.

LanceWindu
Why would they have to close down the SW sections? We still have Humor, Trivia, EU, and news on all the DVD's that will be out some years after Ep3.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>