KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Jedi Outcast is out...

Jedi Outcast is out...
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Jedi Outcast is out...

... and it rocks. Well, once you get your sabre, anyway.

Got my copy today, and have spent the day playing throug to the bit when you finally meet the bad guy (who thrashes you with little effort), quickly return to the Valley of the Jedi from the first game, and then off to Yavin to meet Luke Skywalker and start to (re) learn your Froce powers.

Playing up to that point was a gruelling experience; I chose a high difficulty level to make the game last longer but actually it made the game more irritating, as you have to blast your way through upwards of a hundred bad guys each level with horribly inaccurate and/or slow weapons, and the stormtroopers aren't quite as rubbish as they were in Jedi Knight, meaning on hard level there is a lot of saving and reloading until you get it right.

Everything gets MUCH better once you get into force powers/sabre territory., and I just wiped out a bar full of bad guys, flipping and somersaulting and pushing and slashing and everything you would expect from a Jedi, and I feel MUCH better.

Now I want to meet Lando (vocied by Billy Dee Williams, no less!)

Recommended to everyone, if you can be bothered to get through the early bits...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 29th, 2002 at 11:27 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2002 11:13 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

going to a shop this week, hoping to get it by the end of the month!

Last edited by yerssot on Mar 29th, 2002 at 11:25 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2002 11:14 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The controls are far more compact than JK's, for example, Force Jumping is now activated by holding down jump rather than having a seperate key. Likewise, throwing your sabre is done with the alternate fire button, saving another key. You'll still need an efficient set-up, though. as you have an inventory, gun selection and force powers selection to play around with,

Multi-play is rather more arcadey with a whole host of extra force powers which will complicatr things further still, but if you could handle it for the last game you can handle it now.

Sounds are pretty good.

Graphics are great but not startling- the exception being the sabre moves; with other 200 animated moves (comprising 3000 frames) they sure look the business; the way the main bad guy casually twirled his sabre as he waited for your next feeble attack on him was paticularly cool.

Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers for your graphics card; my copy wouldn't run until I downloaded the latest.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 30th, 2002 at 12:21 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2002 11:30 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

sounds great! What about the story? is it reasonable?
Big maps?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2002 11:32 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The first map is absolutely HUGE.

The story seems pretty good; I was surprised to see it drawing on plot elements of the original, mentioning Jerec and, as I say, the Valley that was the climax of the original.

Luke Skywalker (sadly not Hamil-voiced) is on form as well, seeming every bit the person you would expect Luke to be.

It's littered with EU refences as well, but nothing from the NJO.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 29th, 2002 11:36 PM
yerssot

going to stop asking questions because I really want that game now!!!!

can you rate it, as a last thing?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2002 11:38 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I'll give it an 8 out of then for now, but bear in mind I haven't seen much of the game; haven't fought a single sabre duel, experienced the force advancement systems or any multi-play, so that's a bit rough.

Certainly at the difficulty level I chose those early levels were very irritating,t hough.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 29th, 2002 11:48 PM
LanceWindu

The game sounds great. What platforms is it for? PC, X-Box, PS2???

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 03:52 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

certainly PC, but I think they're also going to release it on other platforms too

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 08:22 AM
LanceWindu

If it comes out for the PS2 then I'll get it for that. Otherwise I'm getting it for PC

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 08:26 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, very much designed as a PC game both in its capacity as a seqiel to Jedi Knight (and the original Dark Forces game from WAAY back) and as a replacement for losing Obi-Wan. I am unsure of conversion possibilities.

Update: The sniper rifle is horrible. WHich is to say, it is very good, with an amazing zoom function. But for n apparent reason it cannot be blocked by sabres, despite being an energy weapon. The Nar Shadda level is made hideusly difficult by putting snipers all over the pl;ace that can zap you down, sabre or not. Wich doesn't feel much like the films.

It's a shame; I want to be good with a sabre, which involves learning all the moves, choosing from three different fighting styles (two bonus styles for the bad guys, as well), and combining it with the acrobatics and force powers system. Then I can kill lots of people.

If you want to be good with the sniper rifle you just pont and shoot.

Oh well. The sabre is more stylish, anyway, and maybe there is a counter to the rifle I am unaware of.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 12:24 PM
LanceWindu

Maybe, you could either go and try to search for it in the game or you could hit a game FAQ's site and try to find it.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 06:25 PM
He-Man

OOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUU YEEEEEEEEEAAAH!!!!!

I bought the game yesterday and since then I haven't anything else than playd it. It has to be the best game since Half-Life. It's just beautiful...everything about it; graphics are exellent, and the souds and music are the best I've seen in any game so far. The sniper rifle thing is the only not so good thing about the game, but I'm sure we'll have a mod for that soon enoug. The lightsaber fighting and the Force powers are the best thing about the game.

The puzles are a little too difficult but it only makes me play the game longer.

Ush, have you tried the multiplayer and bots yet? I can tell ya the bots are amazing as their skills are taken staight from the movies. I played the saber only mp mode with my fried for something like 6 hours straight and it was amazing. Couldn't stop it,

The only real bad thing about this game is that I can't stop playing it...I'm totally adicted to this game. It's simply the best FPS I've ever played or heard about. And it's even in the Star Wars universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile big grin wink laughing out loud cool rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 09:58 PM
Click here to Send He-Man a Private Message Find more posts by He-Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

so what are you doing here, posting?

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 10:00 PM
He-Man

Had to keep a little brake since I've been playing it for soooo long now. I've only played and slept and ate since yesterday. I've playd it for like 14 hours today!!!

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 10:03 PM
Click here to Send He-Man a Private Message Find more posts by He-Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

I really really want to play that game!!!

How much does it cost???

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 11:38 PM
yerssot

*crosses fingers*
please keep it low, please keep it low

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 11:40 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

30 quid; convert that how you like.

Haven't actually tried MP yet. I want to do some single player duelling first.

I understand the multi-player duelling is simplified to reduce lag issues, which is a shame.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 11:43 PM
LanceWindu

*scratches head*

Quid, what's that???

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 11:44 PM
yerssot

Think it's pound?

Price isn't that bad, I think

Old Post Mar 30th, 2002 11:51 PM