Theory about Mace's lightsabre...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chilled monkey
When she worked for the Emperor, Mara Jade used a purple lightsabre. Since Mace Windu's sabre is the only one we've seen with a purple blade, could it be that Palpatine gave Mace's sabre to Mara?

SithKiller
nah everyone makes there own first sabers sept Luke...I read that in a pre phantom menace book bout maul...forget the name though

Batman316
it's just the colour of the crystal Mace used. I keep thinking it should have some significence(sp) but apparently it doesn't

Lazerlike42
The only reason that Mace's saber is purple is because SLJ asked Lucas if it could be. It's a real world thing, not an in universe thing. *shrugs

smoker4
Originally posted by chilled monkey
When she worked for the Emperor, Mara Jade used a purple lightsabre. Since Mace Windu's sabre is the only one we've seen with a purple blade, could it be that Palpatine gave Mace's sabre to Mara?

Mara jade is EU

Lazerlike42 is correct smokin'

mtryder
When jackson asked that, Lucas should have said "hell no, you'll have a green saber and like it."

What I find similarly interesting to the above theory arises from the question: Where did luke get the crystal for his second saber? In one of the canon sources (radio drama maybe?) Luke is depicted making a saber in Obi-Wan's hut, but we all know that Obi-Wan would have no reason to have a green crystal, since all his sabers were blue. UNLESS, of course, he kept the lightsaber that he used to kill Darth Maul, which was Qui-Gon's. Dunno why, but it strikes me as interesting and symbolic that Luke would use Qui-Gon's force crystal and be guided by ghosts that were enabled by Qui-Gon in striking down Vader, a boy that Qui-Gon discovered.

Pogel
Originally posted by mtryder
When jackson asked that, Lucas should have said "hell no, you'll have a green saber and like it."

What I find similarly interesting to the above theory arises from the question: Where did luke get the crystal for his second saber? In one of the canon sources (radio drama maybe?) Luke is depicted making a saber in Obi-Wan's hut, but we all know that Obi-Wan would have no reason to have a green crystal, since all his sabers were blue. UNLESS, of course, he kept the lightsaber that he used to kill Darth Maul, which was Qui-Gon's. Dunno why, but it strikes me as interesting and symbolic that Luke would use Qui-Gon's force crystal and be guided by ghosts that were enabled by Qui-Gon in striking down Vader, a boy that Qui-Gon discovered.

That's of course nothing that would have been planned by GL, but really like this interpretation!

Lazerlike42
he could have just found a crystal on some planet somewhere, I dunno where they get them from but he could have gone there. Maybe Ben's ghost told him where to go and how to make it....

mtryder
It's better to make up your own interpretation anyways. Otherwise you end up with midichlorians.

StaR_WarS_4LiFE
what is read in an interview with samuel L Jackson, is that he requested a purple lightsaber to lucas, because he thougt that fits with is character,
lucas found it rather weird but he said "ok"
that is the only right answer on the question: why is mace's blade purple

Captain REX
EU provides that Luke found all he needed to build his own lightsabers in Obi-Wan's hut on Tatooine. Why Luke uses a green crystal can be explained as Lucas not wanting to lose the glow of the blade on Tatooine's blue sky. wink

SithKiller
Luke founded the new jedi academy...lotsa new sabers... Yoda had already told him which planet and what cave to get the crystals from...He had to go meet all the voices & ghosts of past anyway...lol...(The specific cave and voices ghosts etc.. came from a different book I dont remember the name of)

mtryder
All valid explanations, but I still prefer to think that he used Qui-Gon's crystal. That's cooler.

chilled monkey
Thank you all.

I read that Sith lightsabres use synthetic crystals (red blades), while Jedi use natural ones (blue, green and rarely purple). Mara must have made her's using a rare purple crystal. Makes sense as she wasn't a Sith (so Sidious didn't break the rule of 2).

astrofan428
Originally posted by StaR_WarS_4LiFE
what is read in an interview with samuel L Jackson, is that he requested a purple lightsaber to lucas, because he thougt that fits with is character,
lucas found it rather weird but he said "ok"
that is the only right answer on the question: why is mace's blade purple

In the most recent few interviews that I have seen, he said he wanted to be able to pick himself out on Geonosis.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.