Did Sidious actually cared for Anakin?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

king_arthur
Although I will not doubt that he lied to Anakin to help him turn to the Dark Side, I really do think that he enjoyed him as a friend.

In ROTJ, he often referred to Vader as his friend, but more importantly, at the end of ROTS, with Anakin laying all burned up, he comes to his side and puts his hand on his head as if to say, "I'm hear now and will care for you."

JKozzy
No, Sidious did not care for Anakin. He cared for Anakin's ability to aid him in gaining complete galactic control. Nothing more.

Echuu
Nah, Vader was just a pawn for power, nothing more.

mysterio69
well, i guess he cared for him as much as a sith can care for anybody...not too much. he was just an instrument to get palply his goals.

Ragnarok_AU
I get what your saying, honest friendship or just so vader would be on his side.

Honesty doesnt seem to be something the sith have.

Ragnarok_AU
i guess my post was a bit late eh?

jabbar
Evidence:
In ROTJ, he orders Luke to kill Vader and "take his place by (plap's) side". That's not what friends do, I'm afraid.

Captain REX
Up until his goal is the replace Vader, I believe Palpatine cares...er...sort of, for Anakin. Not a great deal of "Anakin, I love you bestest best friend ever," more of a "Anakin, you sexy *****, kill people for me and I'll give you cookies! The ones with dark chocolate chips..."

But yeah, mostly it was Palpatine earning Anakin's trust to manipulate him further.

cameron666
He cared a little bit. He mainly cared about anakin's power, but a little of him saw Anakin as a friend.

DiamondBullets
No, Palpatine cared for no one. Sith teachings encourage absolute selfishness.

DenKi
well he did put his hand on his face when Anakin was burned on the floor, to kinda makew him feel better likes hes his Son.

Valar Melkor
Interesting. I think he did, at least initially. By ROTJ, he was looking for a new apprentice, in the form of young Luke. When Vader emerged, he was not what Sidious was expecting. He cared for Anakin, but was truly revolted with Vader. The only thing he liked was that his anger was still intact. Luke would have made a perfect new apprentice. Of course Sidious wanted Luke to kill Vader. Remember, friends, treachery is the way of the Sith

dflood

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Valar Melkor
Interesting. I think he did, at least initially. By ROTJ, he was looking for a new apprentice, in the form of young Luke. When Vader emerged, he was not what Sidious was expecting. He cared for Anakin, but was truly revolted with Vader. The only thing he liked was that his anger was still intact. Luke would have made a perfect new apprentice. Of course Sidious wanted Luke to kill Vader. Remember, friends, treachery is the way of the Sith

Agreed. Vader came out much less powerful then expected. Luke, with not enough training, soon achieved a great level. He would have become a powerful sith big grin also leia could be turned if luke was. Then palp would have the TWIN KILLERS hehehehe.

matreid
Originally posted by DenKi
well he did put his hand on his face when Anakin was burned on the floor, to kinda makew him feel better likes hes his Son.

Palps did that because he was using the dark side to keep Vader alive. He still felt Vader would be powerful with the suit on and that he would still be useful to keep around.

PVS
anyone who thinks that sidious and anakin were 'friends' in ANY sense of the word needs to watch the films a few more times and understand.

from the SECOND anakin found out palps was a sith lord he hated him.
palps only used anakin to gain power and the SECOND he learned of luke,
he planned on having him kill vader. vader joined palps to save his wife and when she dies he was already twisted, so his ONLY motivation from that
point was to take all that power away from his master and keep it for himself

there was no love, no liking, no friendship, not so much as "eeeeh he's ok"
N-O-T-H-I-N-G

bilb
Originally posted by Captain REX
Up until his goal is the replace Vader, I believe Palpatine cares...er...sort of, for Anakin. Not a great deal of "Anakin, I love you bestest best friend ever," more of a "Anakin, you sexy *****, kill people for me and I'll give you cookies! The ones with dark chocolate chips..."

laughing laughing laughing

Lana
Originally posted by Captain REX

But yeah, mostly it was Palpatine earning Anakin's trust to manipulate him further.

THAT is one of the best posts in this forum, I think......

Captain REX
Score! eek!

Swanky-Tuna
He cares for Anakin the same way a person can care about a drill or a shovel. They're just tools to be used until something better comes along.

General Zodiac
Sidious did care for him that's why he saved him but like Dooku as soon as someone better showed up (Luke) he was trash.

Valar Melkor
Treachery is the way of the Sith. Sidious didn't really care for anyone. Look, he hated Vader, no doubt about that. He also hated Luke when he refused to turn. One thing I don't think anyone would deny is that Anakin was stronger before his fall than after. We all love Darth Vader, but face the facts. He would have been more powerful as Anakin. Besicdes, i think we've already agreed when he lost limbs, he lost some of his midichlorians

Lord Ganon
No, he did not care, he used Vader as a pawn for power. But when he discovered Luke, he knew that Vader was so much machine that he is getting weaker and weaker. He probably believed that Luke was going to kill Vader using dark side intentions. But he was wrong. Luke resisted, Yoda warned Luke about that when he had that vision in the cave on Dagobah.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Darth_Rankkor
Agreed. Vader came out much less powerful then expected. Luke, with not enough training, soon achieved a great level. He would have become a powerful sith big grin also leia could be turned if luke was. Then palp would have the TWIN KILLERS hehehehe.

this cant happen...

the rule of 2

Palps would have Leia and Luke fight each other for the role of his apprentice.

Cipher
Palpatine is only interested in power and the people who can get it for him.
He kept Anakin alive to help him with any remaining problems and as a trophy.

jango fat
Yes, he does

Jeditaz345
He didnt care at all about him! It was all for the power, he could see that anakin was powerful and used him until a better one came along (Luke) he told him to kill his own father and plus he ruined his life in revenge of the sith, Palpetine is nothing but evil!

General Zodiac
yes beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

Red Superfly
Vader was going to be Sidious' bit on the side, but when Vader lost his wee-wee, Sidious started looking elsewhere, namely his son.

Palpatine's name translated from Latin roughly means "Poedophile".

Dresta
lol

Captain REX
And Luke would probably win, so Palpatine would be lonely on Saturday nights...

Master Mawi
I suppose Sidious did care about Anakin about physical condition. But I think he mainly cares about Anakin's power because Anakin is apparently the most powerful mid-chlorian figure.

starwarsrules14
Sidious didn't care for him at all imo.
All you need do is look at his smile when vadar is yelling no because he just lost his wife to figure that out.

Darth Travizzle
Let me put it this way, NO!

Valar Melkor
Oh yes Palpatine the paedophile. That's really mature. I could say 'look at Yoda with the younglings'...oh my. But im not that ridiculous. Get a little bit of maturity. This is about whether Sidious cared for ANaking. Clearly the answer is nay.
Only the Jedi have 'unconditional love'. Oh how sweet. The Sith don't care for anybody. It's like yanking teeth from a child. No he didn't care for Anakin. He was merely an instrument of the dark side.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.