Why is it Titled "The Phantom Menace"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



lisahenderson15
Maybe because Sidious had Dooku erase the Jedi files of Kamino and was training him. So is TPM named after Dooku because he was an unseen or known of menace at the time? Or Darth Maul because then we're not sure what he is at the time? Or neither? (Who erased the files......Syfo-Dyas, or Dooku? ((Sorry, probably repeated thread)))

Ast Rofan
I think it represents Darth Sidious, at the time no one knows he exists even though he is behind everything, thus he is a phantom menace.

matreid
At first I thought the title meant Darth Maul, but now I have come to the conclusion that it actually meant Darth Sidious.

Ast Rofan
I think it also is implied by Kenobi's early comment about "something far off, elusive".

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
I think it also is implied by Kenobi's early comment about "something far off, elusive".

Ben was right. Qui gon didn't listen to him and he payed with his life.

lisahenderson15
yeah, the Phantom Menace would be Sidios because he was the one behind everything to destroy the republic.

Darth Zenemij
Why isn't it called the phantom Menace?!?!??!?

lisahenderson15
I was meaning it as which menace were they referring to, there was more than just one person doing things to disrupt how the republic functions, but sidios was behind it all.

amity75
The Phantom Menace is Sidious. No-one knows he's there (hence the phantom) and he's certainly a menace.

Darth_fury
its sidious coz for most of the film he is a hologram

Captain REX
The Phantom Menace, on a broad term, would imply the Sith working in the background, manipulating and starting miniature wars...later big wars...

More directly, it implies Darth Sidious.

Ast Rofan
He so evil. evil face

Captain REX
Ind33d.

SithHappens
I think it just applies to the mtstery of the Sith that is revealed with Darth Maul.

Aduruth
I think it means, something that was hidden but that was always there, THE SITH, but took no precations. meaning the phantom its there but is hidden and once its shown it -self its a menacing site or a menacing problem. making it called the phantom menace.

Captain REX
Originally posted by Captain REX
The Phantom Menace, on a broad term, would imply the Sith working in the background, manipulating and starting miniature wars...later big wars...

More directly, it implies Darth Sidious.

DeVi| D0do
Does quoting yourself make you feel special?

stick out tongue

Aduruth
I think everyone has said the samething rex lol. wink

KMCF
It mean that they thought the Sith Were Exstict.

Captain REX
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Does quoting yourself make you feel special?

stick out tongue

Yes, because I'm right and there's no other answer unless it's an opinion... stick out tongue

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Captain REX
Yes, because I'm right and there's no other answer unless it's an opinion... stick out tongue

Your Ego doesn't knock before it walks in, now does it?

Captain REX
*thwaps Sorgo* Don't be a smart-ass, no one likes it.

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Captain REX
*thwaps Sorgo* Don't be a smart-ass, no one likes it.

*Laughs* A large majority of people use Sarcasm on this forum.


If you haven't seen that yet, you're stupid or blind.... Or both.

Captain REX
Shut it, Sorgo, before you push it.

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Captain REX
Shut it, Sorgo, before you push it.


Oh but it's already been pushed, boy!

Lana
Hey, genius, Rex is a mod.....

And anyway, his answer as to why it was named the Phantom Menace is right, so far as I'm concerned, that's always how I saw it.

Captain REX
Originally posted by LordSorgo
Oh but it's already been pushed, boy!

...childish, at best.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/big/retard.gif

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Lana
Hey, genius, Rex is a mod.....

And anyway, his answer as to why it was named the Phantom Menace is right, so far as I'm concerned, that's always how I saw it.


Hey, Captain Obvious, i think i have hands to pick up clues.

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Captain REX
...childish, at best.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/big/retard.gif

Hypocrisy? I thought i would never see this coming from a Moderator! I have before.... But from the Great Rex? I'll pretend i didn't see it, ok? Our little secret.

Lana
Originally posted by LordSorgo
Hey, Captain Obvious, i think i have hands to pick up clues.

Then stop acting like a fool.

Captain REX
How am I being hypocritic? Me saying that your attempts at sarcasm to annoy me are childish at best is not at all hypocritical.

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Lana
Then stop acting like a fool.

Well, that just does me in. That one was unbeatable.




See, Rex? I like to use alot of Sarcasm.

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Captain REX
How am I being hypocritic? Me saying that your attempts at sarcasm to annoy me are childish at best is not at all hypocritical.

Self-realization is a requirement to understand my previous statement about hypocrisy, Rex.

LordSorgo
I choose to drop the spamming out of maturity and self respect.

This thread is lost.

Lana
Being a smart-ass and being sarcastic are two totally different things. Saying something idiotic and trying to cover it up by later saying "I'm being sarcastic" just makes you look like a fool.

Rex saying that your attempt at being sarcastic is childish is not in the least bit hypocritical. If he said you're not allowed to use sarcasm, THAT would be hypocritical. But he didn't.

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Lana
Being a smart-ass and being sarcastic are two totally different things. Saying something idiotic and trying to cover it up by later saying "I'm being sarcastic" just makes you look like a fool.

Rex saying that your attempt at being sarcastic is childish is not in the least bit hypocritical. If he said you're not allowed to use sarcasm, THAT would be hypocritical. But he didn't.

More Semantics. Well, i'll play with you, then....

Saying something idiotic as saying "Saying something idiotic and trying to cover it up by later saying "I'm being sarcastic" just makes you look like a fool. "

Well, you see, if you used your brain, you would see that i was not trying to cover up anything. Even if i didn't point out i was being Sarcastic, i would still be using Sarcasm.

And who says i was saying that the post he made about me being childish is the reason why i called him Hypocritical? An Assumption, i see?

Now please, try to remove yourself from my presence....

...You're bothering me.

Captain REX
...

Yup, filing a warning...

Ushgarak
Sorgo, that's an official warning. Cut that out or you are heading for a ban. That's a statement, not a debate, so don't answer back about it, just cut it out.

Ess
The Phantom Menace is the Sith rising in power.

Darth_Janus
Fun fun...

I was thinking the Phantom Menace was Lucas, the unseen story teller who decided to put Jar-Jar Binks in the prequel to his blockbuster trilogy.

Count Dooku
Originally posted by Captain REX
...

Yup, filing a warning...

laughing

As you wish.

Ast Rofan
Good to see assholism is still alive and well after the banning of Nactous. sad

Dark Exile
No, I disagree, I think it refers to Anakin, and his growing fate to fall to the Darkside. After all, if you see the teaser it makes perfect sense.

Captain REX
If you watch the movie, the sense is even greater...

Nactous
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
Good to see assholism is still alive and well after the banning of Nactous. sad

Didnt think theyd permanitly get rid of me do you?

Nactous
Originally posted by Captain REX
If you watch the movie, the sense is even greater...

No, it refers to Anakin.

Captain REX
How does it refer to Anakin? The titles of the Star Wars movies refer to what happens in the movie...

A New Hope: Luke, the new hope, takes a large step into the Universe and brings hope to the Galaxy
Empires Strike Back: The Empire squishes the Rebellion at Hoth, the bad guys win this movie
Return of the Jedi: the Jedi return
Attack of the Clones: Clones attack
Revenge of the Sith: the Sith get revenge

In Episode I, Anakin is no menace, or in the background.

However, Sidious and Maul are.

JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Captain REX
How does it refer to Anakin? The titles of the Star Wars movies refer to what happens in the movie...

A New Hope: Luke, the new hope, takes a large step into the Universe and brings hope to the Galaxy
Empires Strike Back: The Empire squishes the Rebellion at Hoth, the bad guys win this movie
Return of the Jedi: the Jedi return
Attack of the Clones: Clones attack
Revenge of the Sith: the Sith get revenge

In Episode I, Anakin is no menace, or in the background.

However, Sidious and Maul are.

I lean mostly twords what Rex said about this one... (Sorry Nac but I do). Sidious and maul are the minaces, and they both are unknown, their threat is phantom-like in the sence that noone knows the true threat, untill Maul revels himself to Qui-Gon. Allthough Nac also makes sence, Anakin is doomed to be Vader. His threat is also phantom like in the sence that his future is unknown to the Jedi, but he becomes a great threat in the years to come. so It could refer to either, but I think it refers to the Sith mostly.

Red Superfly
*sigh*

Darth Sidious is the menace.































And he's dead. Ghost = Phantom

JLRTENJAC
Sidious is not dead!

Red Superfly
Yes he is. He is a ghost. That's why he can fly.

youpi

JLRTENJAC
no expression

JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Red Superfly
*sigh*

Darth Sidious is the menace.































And he's dead. Ghost = Phantom no expression

Red Superfly
Sarcasm is obviosly not part of your lexicon?

DeVi| D0do
'Lexicon' is not part of my lexicon...

no expression

Nactous
Originally posted by Captain REX
How does it refer to Anakin? The titles of the Star Wars movies refer to what happens in the movie...

A New Hope: Luke, the new hope, takes a large step into the Universe and brings hope to the Galaxy
Empires Strike Back: The Empire squishes the Rebellion at Hoth, the bad guys win this movie
Return of the Jedi: the Jedi return
Attack of the Clones: Clones attack
Revenge of the Sith: the Sith get revenge

In Episode I, Anakin is no menace, or in the background.

However, Sidious and Maul are.

Because he is the phantom of a menace to come. It's forshadowing.

Btw, thanks Jac, what reall help you re. miffed

JLRTENJAC
Hey, I don't have to agree with you all the time. I think only George Lucas Knows... but every one does make sence.

The sith being an unknown danger.
anakin being a future conqurer.

I think It talks about both.

Captain REX
Jac isn't helping you, Nactous; he's not a flunky. stick out tongue

I'm pretty sure it applies to Sidious.

JLRTENJAC
Nah I am pretty sure it is the sith in general, and possibly a set up for Annakin's future.

Captain REX
Sith, Sidious.













ANAKIN. Not Annakin, not Anikin, not Anikan, ANAKIN.

JLRTENJAC
Relax, man! Typos, Typos!

bobcrickett
When everyone makes the typo, it gets old. stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
Well this is pretty simple as well as cut and dried. Lucas himself has said in an interview prior to Episode 3 that The Phantom Menace he refers to in the title is the reappearance of the SITH. Just that simple kids, no need to have an argument over this.

Captain REX
Unless, of course, Rex is around. Everyone likes to argue with Rex...

bilb
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Well this is pretty simple as well as cut and dried. Lucas himself has said in an interview prior to Episode 3 that The Phantom Menace he refers to in the title is the reappearance of the SITH. Just that simple kids, no need to have an argument over this.

yes

yerssot
Originally posted by Captain REX
Unless, of course, Rex is around. Everyone likes to argue with Rex...
it makes you feel important? or just think that people like you? stick out tongue

JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Well this is pretty simple as well as cut and dried. Lucas himself has said in an interview prior to Episode 3 that The Phantom Menace he refers to in the title is the reappearance of the SITH. Just that simple kids, no need to have an argument over this.

Really?... so why is there a forum about it?

Red Superfly
Because some people are really quite lame and need others to think for them.

JLRTENJAC
Yup.

Jedi Priestess
[email protected] Red.........you continue to crack me up. laughing and what are you yupping at JLR? Was you that asked the question Red answered. laughing out loud

Captain REX
Originally posted by yerssot
it makes you feel important? or just think that people like you? stick out tongue

stick out tongue yourself, Yerss, you old timer. stick out tongue

No, just makes me feel like everyone is out to get me. ninja

So yes, I'm important. big grin

yerssot
don't go talking about old, you have no idea how it is to have a bad back cry

well, I believe you are right, there happy

Captain REX
Is that a good thing, though? ninja

yerssot
no, I'm normally always wrong

Captain REX
Just like when you were working at ILM and made a new droid for Episode II...tsk tsk... stick out tongue

JLRTENJAC
MY GOD!

JLRTENJAC
It refers to Jar Jar!

Captain REX
...

JLRTENJAC
Yup Jar Jar Binks, There has been no worse Menace than the evil Jar Jar!

bilb
Originally posted by JLRTENJAC
Yup Jar Jar Binks, There has been no worse Menace than the evil Jar Jar!

God aint that the truth messed

JLRTENJAC
Yea, In episode 1 He drove us all crazy with his Insanity!
In Episode 2 He gave Palpatine Extreme powers in the senate!
In episode 3... well we had to see his ugly face... TWICE!

Bespin Bart
Binks doesn't bug me. no expression

bilb
Originally posted by Bespin Bart
Binks doesn't bug me. no expression

ahh, to be one of the lucky ones

Nactous
Jac. and I are having a disagrement, he thinks Jar Jar didnt talk in e3. Someone tell him he's wrong.

JLRTENJAC
Yea I heard that, "Watch it" and "Excuse me" but It didn't sound like Jar Jar to me.

chinabing
Well, Jar Jar wouldn't have given Palpatine emergency powers if Padme hadn't given Valorum a vote of no confidence, paving the way for Palpatine's election and thus the downfall of the galaxy.

It was Padme's fault, not Jar Jars!

(Plus, Jar Jar's now in Return of the Jedi at the Coruscant celebration, going "Wesa free!" Or at least some gungan who sounds like him.)

JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by chinabing
Well, Jar Jar wouldn't have given Palpatine emergency powers if Padme hadn't given Valorum a vote of no confidence, paving the way for Palpatine's election and thus the downfall of the galaxy.

It was Padme's fault, not Jar Jars!

(Plus, Jar Jar's now in Return of the Jedi at the Coruscant celebration, going "Wesa free!" Or at least some gungan who sounds like him.)

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT! JAR JAR IS IN RETURN OF THE JEDI! I WILL MUDALATE LUCAS! I'LL KILL HIM! HE CHANGES THE GHOST OF ANAKIN AND NOW HE PUT'S JAR JAR IN THE OT! HE RUINED THE SERIES WITH THAT...THAT THING! AND NOW THE OT IS RUINED!

JLRTENJAC
I justt finished watching Return of the Jedi.... It's true, I even put sub-titles on and it's true... JAR JAR BINKS IS ON THE EPISODE 6 DVD! I know it's him because that is his voice... I'm gonna watch the credits now... I'm gonna go to bed now... WHY JAR JAR IN THE OT!


















you can tell I really HATE jar jar can't you!

bilb
messed

chinabing
Don't be too proud of your hatred of Jar Jar. Hate leads to suffering. Besides, a lot of Gungans sound alike.

(BTW, Does Anakin's ghost have the eye scar? I only have the vhs because I don't the the SEs.)

JLRTENJAC
No, no he doesn't. and BTW if my hatred of Jar Jar leads to suffering... let's hope it's Jar Jar's! I swear on a stack of anything that that is Jar Jar's voice... and I could probably find him in the crowd with zoom... I may try that some day.

chinabing
Cool if you find him, post it. But a lot of Gungans look alike too! Maybe Jar Jar and Captain Tarpuls are standing by the flagpole in that scene.

Hatred of Jar Jar is just plain wrong. He's for kids. I know lots of kids who loved The Phantom Menace because of Jar Jar. Lucas was right, people hated R2-D2 in Star Wars, then they hated Yoda, then they hated the Ewoks. You'd think if they hated things so much they wouldn't watch.

bilb
the only ones REALLY hated are the Ewoks and Jar Jar,, wanna know why? Cause they are a BLATANT and shameless attempt at merchandising at the expense of (not in order to furthere) the plot which cheapened the whole thing..

JLRTENJAC
I like the Ewoks! bye.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by JLRTENJAC
Yea, In episode 1 He drove us all crazy with his Insanity!
In Episode 2 He gave Palpatine Extreme powers in the senate!
In episode 3... well we had to see his ugly face... TWICE!

Actually, it was the Senate Speaker Mas Amedda who first suggested that Palpatine be give emergency powers with that "This is a crisis!" speech. Other powerful Palpatine backers included the Gran senators Ask Aak and And-Lee Teem, and that fat blue Twi'lek, Orn Free Taa.

JLRTENJAC
Yea, but Jar Jar was the only one stupid enough to do it.

Captain REX
Who's And-Lee Teem?

JLRTENJAC
I think he was one of those grans in the senate.

Nactous
Originally posted by Fierce Deity
Yea I heard that, "Watch it" and "Excuse me" but It didn't sound like Jar Jar to me.
btw, your still wrong.

DarkC
Originally posted by lisahenderson15
Maybe because Sidious had Dooku erase the Jedi files of Kamino and was training him. So is TPM named after Dooku because he was an unseen or known of menace at the time? Or Darth Maul because then we're not sure what he is at the time? Or neither? (Who erased the files......Syfo-Dyas, or Dooku? ((Sorry, probably repeated thread)))
They're under threat from a Sith lord that they know nothing of. But that's revealed near the end, though.

Tangible God
It's called The Phantom Menace because the appearance of the Sith is a menace, but they can't find them, detect them or know anything about them or their plans----like a phantom.

xyz jedi
No, it's called "the phantom menace" because Darth Maul, like all sith, is a menace, and since no-one new who he was or where he was from, he was the phantom menace. Because phantoms are mysterious.

Either that or Anakin's the phantom menace. laughing

Tangible God
Originally posted by xyz jedi
No, it's called "the phantom menace" because Darth Maul, like all sith, is a menace, and since no-one new who he was or where he was from, he was the phantom menace. Because phantoms are mysterious. Yeah...Maul was a Sith, so that's pretty much what I said.

Captain REX
Yup. Pretty much.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.