REad this thread! It is important!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jplatinum
I have come under the conclusion that physics are applied in different ways in comic books.

Many of the writers are ignorant or just bias with how they write character's feats.
They have characters doing things that they shouldn't be able to do, while having characters that are capable of such feats doing simple ass weakass shit.

Post some ****ed up feats that you've witnessed in comics that shouldn't be.

I'm not talkin' about something thats alittle off, I'm talkin' about something that is just ridiculously wrong.

King_Mungi
The concept of sound is off, how come people going faster than the speed of sound still have a conversation with people all fine and dandy?

Metalmanx
Spiderman EVER having problems with lowly thugs. I mean EVER.

I know this isn't physics-related, but I just felt like throwing this in there.

jplatinum
They write wolverine as not being able to do feats like punch through several feet of brickwall or kill someone with one punch.

These are feats that he is capable of, according to physics and laws of martial-arts, which he is an expert in.

jplatinum
Spiderman even when holding back should never be overpowered by some thug, unless the thug is strapped like punisher or blade.

Anybody else should be down in one kick, punch, or throw.
In fact, the force of his web hitting them should knock them down.

I've seen the web shooters shoot with force to knock people into walls, then other time it shoots a man point blank and just wraps him up, yet spiderman isn't using any different enough of pressure or force when squeezing his palm, at least he doesn't seem to be using any different force.

Orestes
Wolverine vs. the Hulk should look like it did in Ennis's Confederacy of Dunces (admittedly, he was downright cruel and unfair to Wolverine in a lot of ways otherwise, but THIS part he got totally right) ... EVERY TIME. Wolverine shouldn't even consider trying to fight the Hulk, and every time he forgets for a moment, he should be sent flying into the next state to consider the error of his ways. He should not only not be able to fight Hulk, he shouldn't even be able to ESCAPE Hulk if Hulk is after him!

Ditto for Spider-Man fighting Hulk (except Spidey should be able to escape ... just not actually fight).

Speaking of stupid Hulk defeats, the crossover where Batman kicked him in the gut and made him inhale gas was so stupid it even made the Wolverine and Spider-Man fights look good ...

The only plausible Hulk defeat by a street-leveler I can recall ever seeing was in Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe, and that's only because Frank didn't even TRY to fight Hulk. Instead, he tagged him with a transmitter from far away and just tracked him 'till he turned back into Bruce Banner. That made actual sense. But it never even happened in continuity anyway. stick out tongue

jollyjim311
........cyclops.....

yahman
How can someone with Level 6 strength (I.E. below 100 tons) hurt/beat characters who regularly fight other beings that can lift Kilo tons/mountains/planets, confused

Thing hurts Hulk, yet he can't lift 100 tons ? confused

olympian
"Thing hurts Hulk, yet he can't lift 100 tons "

More accurate would be saying he cant lift as much as Hulk and the others can.

Hes strong enougt to get them the hurt tho.

yahman
Originally posted by olympian
"Thing hurts Hulk, yet he can't lift 100 tons "

More accurate would be saying he cant lift as much as Hulk and the others can.

Hes strong enougt to get them the hurt tho.

Mate every single source of Info says he can Lift up to 100 tons. He has never really demonstrated a clear feat to suggest he can lift much more than 100 tons. This goes for Ulik, Rhino, Mr Hyde and Sandman aswell.

Metalmanx
Originally posted by jplatinum
They write wolverine as not being able to do feats like punch through several feet of brickwall or kill someone with one punch.

These are feats that he is capable of, according to physics and laws of martial-arts, which he is an expert in.

Err...no. Not even just to disagree with you, but Wolverine can't punch through SEVERAL FEET of BRICKWALL. My definition of several is about 7 and up. If he could, don't you think he'd just be punching through walls all the time?

And also, if he could do said feat, he'd then be able to pierce Colossus. Or at least come A LOT CLOSER to doing it than he is capable of right now.

His punches are powerful, yes. But not that powerful. The adamantium skeleton also really doesn't do anything to increase the power of his punches, they just give Wolverine the knowledge that he won't be breaking his hand anytime soon.

Creshosk
Any brick fight. These guys lift tons and tons and yet don't move when hit by a like force?

Do these guys suddenly weigh as much as they can hit?

willRules
Things like this annoy me...........

Characters able to form long coherant sentences hilst leaping through the air or being hit by a monster.
Guys like Wolverine. He would be killed in any fight against the Hulk FULL STOP.
Batman winning a fight because hes Batman.
Aunt may pushing 3425536776767 years old
Guys coming back from the dead 12 times.
when a comic has 80 variant covers, thats just money-makin at its creulest form.
Women are all drawn incredibly slim. (Note Im not complaining bout that one)
A bad guy/girl is allowed on a hero team after being nice to them on one mission. Come on Heros be suspicious for cryin out loud.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Metalmanx
And also, if he could do said feat, he'd then be able to pierce Colossus. Or at least come A LOT CLOSER to doing it than he is capable of right now. I'm not sure about that, we don't know the properties of his metal.So even if you were to make Wolverine able to punch through brick like real world martial artists can do, he still may not be able to hurt collosus.

yahman
I have come under the conclusion that physics are applied in different ways in comic books.

Many of the writers are ignorant or just bias with how they write character's feats.
They have characters doing things that they shouldn't be able to do, while having characters that are capable of such feats doing simple ass weakass shit.

I'm not talkin' about something thats alittle off, I'm talkin' about something that is just ridiculously wrong.

Mate I could go on forever , but i have something that slightly resembles a life big grin

Creshosk
Originally posted by willRules

A bad guy/girl is allowed on a hero team after being nice to them on one mission. Come on Heros be suspicious for cryin out loud. That actually varies from character to character. Some will accept a decision begrudgingly because the others did. Some will up and up leave the team.

And it's not like villans that turn good always betray the team. Look at rouge and as so far Emma Frost. Both of these were villians that menaced the team. But you certainly wouldn't say that Rogue was a threat now would you?

manjaro
i think ppl are getting off base we are talking about when the writer try to apply physics. what you all are talking about is ppl's feats no matter how ridiculous they are, which i agree but mine is this

Iron Man's armor shouldnt be possoible.....not the armor itself but all its fancy bells and whistles....for xample it would require an immense energy source....IMMENSE, to not only shoot repulsar blasts in the first place but fly, hover,maintain his body's homeostasis, giant force fields(which he can finally do now), have a wireless communication to the net and his data bases back at his HQ...no matter where in the world he is, and have a mini computer thats more powerful and have more memory than any comupter in the world(about 6 terabytes..... if you print 1 terabyte of info it would require enuff paper to stretch from here to the moon...literally..yeah thats a lot)and lastly dump all his energy in a huge nova-like blast, and able to restore power from solar energy in a few hours. NO F'ING WAY! i dont care if he has 100 nuclear reactors in there all that is just not possible

and i might as well throw in Dr. Doom too cuz ever since the Secret Wars, and i know it hasnt been retconned, Doom's armor was powered by a mini blackhole, about the size of a quarter, that was housed in his armor's ankle......WTF!!!! doesnt marvel realize that a black hole even the size of a pin head could destroy the whole world? seeing as how comparatively a reg. sized black hole can esaily destroy an entire galaxy

Creshosk
Originally posted by manjaro
i think ppl are getting off base we are talking about when the writer try to apply physics. what you all are talking about is ppl's feats no matter how ridiculous they are, which i agree but mine is this

Iron Man's armor shouldnt be possoible.....not the armor itself but all its fancy bells and whistles....for xample it would require an immense energy source....IMMENSE, to not only shoot repulsar blasts in the first place but fly, hover,maintain his body's homeostasis, giant force fields(which he can finally do now), have a wireless communication to the net and his data bases back at his HQ...no matter where in the world he is, and have a mini computer thats more powerful and have more memory than any comupter in the world(about 6 terabytes..... if you print 1 terabyte of info it would require enuff paper to stretch from here to the moon...literally..yeah thats a lot)and lastly dump all his energy in a huge nova-like blast, and able to restore power from solar energy in a few hours. NO F'ING WAY! i dont care if he has 100 nuclear reactors in there all that is just not possible

and i might as well throw in Dr. Doom too cuz ever since the Secret Wars, and i know it hasnt been retconned, Doom's armor was powered by a mini blackhole, about the size of a quarter, that was housed in his armor's ankle......WTF!!!! doesnt marvel realize that a black hole even the size of a pin head could destroy the whole world? seeing as how comparatively a reg. sized black hole can esaily destroy an entire galaxy How do you even get power from something that absorbs light?

A blsck hole isn't a valid energy source. . Secret wars you say? That story seems to be so full of PIS it rivals Onslaught. . .

willRules
Originally posted by Creshosk
That actually varies from character to character. Some will accept a decision begrudgingly because the others did. Some will up and up leave the team.

And it's not like villans that turn good always betray the team. Look at rouge and as so far Emma Frost. Both of these were villians that menaced the team. But you certainly wouldn't say that Rogue was a threat now would you?

true but now you have said that, don't you think that would be a cool storyline? Rogue goes all.....well Rogue. lol

DrDoom101
explain how dd survives punches from someone who lifts 100 tons while he can lift only 2

NoFate007
Characters that are completely immortal like Deadpool.

Orestes
Speaking of Emma Frost, her hooker costume ... how, man? How? How does it stay on?? I don't understand ...!!!

Marvel=DC
What about Wonder Woman and Batman he's trained for like what 20 something odd years in martial arts while she's trained since birth for thousands of years has countless more experience at using it and yet somehow he's still able to oppose some sort of threat? In fact Batman period I like him and all but, he shouldn't catch Flash, beat WW, or Green Lantern the rest of the league it actually makes since if he beats them with their weaknesses but the three I just listed please.

manjaro
you know what else? how about when ppl crash thru a building but there clothes dont get dirty...WTF!! have you ever seen a wall come down how much dust and particles come with it?.....about two years ago i was helping one of my buddies take down a wall in his home,and even with a freaking face mask everybody had to step outside periodically to get some fresh air, cuz just one slam from the sledge hammer and it was dust like crazy

DigiMark007
Correct Forum-ized!

Dreampanther
I read the coolest book in the world a couple of weeks back, called the"Science of Superheroes". Go out and get this book NOW! Or at least just do a Google search on it, and see what I'm talking about.

About Superman, for instance, it explains that light is just light, no matter whether it's yellow, red, or green with purple spots, so that whole "yellow sun' thing is just so much BS. Same with Green Lantern and his vulnerability to yellow, although they offer the theory that the Guardians actually subconsciously indoctrinate the GLs with that, so that they can not become omnipotent.

Ant Man or Giant Man was awesome, as they actually explain that if you double in size, your strength would be cut in half, because if you double a cube, it's not just two cubes, but FOUR cubes, since we are in a three dimesional world, not a two dimensional world.

About Hulk, which I found wicked, they not just destroy the theory about gamma radiation, but offer an ALTERNATIVE theory, namely, that Bruce Banner actually did research into steroids and adrenaline, which explains the strength and also the uncontrollable rages.

And they look at underwater breathing, and faster-than-ligh speed - go and get this book now, it is brilliant!

yahman
How do you even get power from something that absorbs light?

A blsck hole isn't a valid energy source. . Secret wars you say? That story seems to be so full of PIS it rivals Onslaught. . .

Not all the particles (mass and massless) go past the event horizon, some go around it, at phenomenal speeds !!!!!

yahman
Originally posted by Dreampanther
I read the coolest book in the world a couple of weeks back, called the"Science of Superheroes". Go out and get this book NOW! Or at least just do a Google search on it, and see what I'm talking about.

About Superman, for instance, it explains that light is just light, no matter whether it's yellow, red, or green with purple spots, so that whole "yellow sun' thing is just so much BS. Same with Green Lantern and his vulnerability to yellow, although they offer the theory that the Guardians actually subconsciously indoctrinate the GLs with that, so that they can not become omnipotent.

Ant Man or Giant Man was awesome, as they actually explain that if you double in size, your strength would be cut in half, because if you double a cube, it's not just two cubes, but FOUR cubes, since we are in a three dimesional world, not a two dimensional world.

About Hulk, which I found wicked, they not just destroy the theory about gamma radiation, but offer an ALTERNATIVE theory, namely, that Bruce Banner actually did research into steroids and adrenaline, which explains the strength and also the uncontrollable rages.

And they look at underwater breathing, and faster-than-ligh speed - go and get this book now, it is brilliant!

I've read it !!!!!!!!!! Ok , I've read better. The Bible according to G.S. gives a better scientific explanation of Superman's powers.

The chick who wrote the book also forgot the endless possibilities that robotics and nano tech give us. smile

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by yahman
I've read it !!!!!!!!!! Ok , I've read better. The Bible according to G.S. gives a better scientific explanation of Superman's powers.

The chick who wrote the book also forgot the endless possibilities that robotics and nano tech give us. smile

Damn yet another GS reference roll eyes (sarcastic)

This is getting tired youngster. Whirly can handle himself dont involve yourself in his vendettas. smile

Creshosk
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
Damn yet another GS reference roll eyes (sarcastic)

This is getting tired youngster. Whirly can handle himself dont involve yourself in his vendettas. smile No he can't. . . he's banned

Not all the particles (mass and massless) go past the event horizon, some go around it, at phenomenal speeds !!!!! And? that still doesn't explain how its used as an energy source. . and how it doesn't just suck Doom in. . .

GalacticStorm
No he can't. . . he's banned

Really? eek! Awwwww Yahman you must be distraught sad

yahman
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
Really? eek! Awwwww Yahman you must be distraught sad

I'm fighting his cause !!!!!!!!!!!! Lets just say i know people in high places

'Wikipedia encyclopedia has been dubbed 'The Bible according to G.S.' for some time now ' stick out tongue

Have you missed me !.... I haven't been on as much ! sad

Cresh ..... use your imagination ..... anything that is moving fast usually has a lot of energy.

.... He could use negative energy to stop it from collapsing on itself. smile

Swanky-Tuna
No he can't. . . he's banned
I found that comical.

Doom tells it not to suck him in and tells it to give him energy and the black hole obeys.

Creshosk
I'm fighting his cause !!!!!!!!!!!! Lets just say i know people in high places

'Wikipedia encyclopedia has been dubbed 'The Bible according to G.S.' for some time now ' stick out tongue

Have you missed me !.... I haven't been on as much ! sad

Cresh ..... use your imagination ..... anything that is moving fast usually has a lot of energy.

.... He could use negative energy to stop it from collapsing on itself. smile How can he make a profit energy wise off of it?

He'd have to expend an enormous amout of energy just to keep it from sucking him in.

Blackholes are NOT a viable energy source. . .

manjaro
another thing that seems to baffle me is when reg. charcters withstand punches from power houses. most operatively wolverine getting clocked by the hulk on several occasions, spidey getting clocked as well(a powerhouse in his own right but not invulnerable), absorbing man gettin clocked and not exploding in a million pieces everytime, and any poilce or army guys who get grazed by strong guys here and there, what always end up happening his these fools get sent flying instead of showing what would really happen...... exploding in a bloody pulp

for example meet Flint, and average girl from Africa .....who happens to have unbreakable skin and is basically the female Juggernaut of the wildstorm universe, look what happens when she barely taps a sentry at a secret facility

yahman
Originally posted by manjaro
another thing that seems to baffle me is when reg. charcters withstand punches from power houses. most operatively wolverine getting clocked by the hulk on several occasions, spidey getting clocked as well(a powerhouse in his own right but not invulnerable), absorbing man gettin clocked and not exploding in a million pieces everytime, and any poilce or army guys who get grazed by strong guys here and there, what always end up happening his these fools get sent flying instead of showing what would really happen...... exploding in a bloody pulp

for example meet Flint, and average girl from Africa .....who happens to have unbreakable skin and is basically the female Juggernaut of the wildstorm universe, look what happens when she barely taps a sentry at a secret facility

A punch from someone with < Level 4 strength, would feel like a car hitting you at top speeds. Very few people walk away from such forces. smile

Lifting heavy objects should be a immposibility aswell. Ult thing showed us recently that each of his hands could give out a preessure of about 14 000 lbs per square inch. Very few materials can withsatnd such high pressures.

Mindship
How come you never see sweat stains soaking through costumes?

severance
ridiculos

Clark Kent is Superman gtfo - oh the glasses brilliant disguise. DC humans must be the dumbest in all comicdom.

Hulks trousers stay on even though his body weight has decupled. Dont tell me the Hulks got a 120" chest but only a 30" waist. Howvever I'm pretty glad they do stay on.

How does iron man fly. His boot jets provide thrust but if his body is horizontal what provides lift (no wings)

and again spidey or Luke cage hitting ordinairy joes. A gorilla can kill a man without really trying these two are about 10 x the strength of a gorilla.

how is spidey able to press 10 tons. no spider in the world has that kinda proportional strength. At best Spider should be able to press 40 times body weight - about 3 tons

roughrider
Originally posted by severance
ridiculos

Clark Kent is Superman gtfo - oh the glasses brilliant disguise. DC humans must be the dumbest in all comicdom.

Hulks trousers stay on even though his body weight has decupled. Dont tell me the Hulks got a 120" chest but only a 30" waist. Howvever I'm pretty glad they do stay on.

How does iron man fly. His boot jets provide thrust but if his body is horizontal what provides lift (no wings)

and again spidey or Luke cage hitting ordinairy joes. A gorilla can kill a man without really trying these two are about 10 x the strength of a gorilla.

how is spidey able to press 10 tons. no spider in the world has that kinda proportional strength. At best Spider should be able to press 40 times body weight - about 3 tons

Radioactive-enhanced spider, remember. Or has it been changed yet to genetically-enhanced?

yahman
Originally posted by roughrider
Radioactive-enhanced spider, remember. Or has it been changed yet to genetically-enhanced?

It smells like B.S. to me. smile

severance
Originally posted by roughrider

As I understood it radioactivity was the means of transference of the the genetic characteristics of the spider. Spiderman was quoted as originally quoted as having the proportional strength of a spider i.e. able to lift 30 40 times body weight (pete weighs 165 therefore 6600lbs or 3 metric tons)
spidermans power has sadly increased over the years like superman (although not to the same extent). For some unknown reason writers sometimes feel the need to push the envelope on the reality of their character. I think spider man would be just as cool if he could only lift 3 tons.

meep-meep

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.