Ep 3 DVD is missing lines

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fmmulder
Can anyone confirm this, or is my dvd bad? When I went to see Ep 3 in the theater, there is the scene where Vader is on the table as it stands him up. Off screen, Palp says the line "Rise, Lord Vader" but when I saw the DVD version of it, that line was cut from that scene. I thought it was one of the most memorable lines of the movie. One of my friends said it was moved? to scene 28, but Palp only says "Rise" not "Rise, Lord Vader". Is this another case where George Lucas has changed the movie he sells from the movie he made.

Ast
That "rise lord vader" thing was in the teaser trailer, not in that actual scene.

Ken Kenobi
Dude, that was only for the trailers and TV spots. He never said for Vader to rise when he was on the table in the theatrical release.

The "Rise, Lord Vader" is from the scene where Anakin first becomes a Sith in Palpatines office.

fmmulder
if it was a teaser trailer then where in the movie was it pulled from?

Ast
It was from two different scenes, the "rise" was from the naming scene, and the "Lord Vader" was from the creation scene. The real scene goes "Lord Vader, can you hear me?"

Ken Kenobi
*points above*

Lines get cut sometimes after the the teaser is released. The "Lord Vader" was probably edited out and we were left with "Rise".

fmmulder
And in Palps office, Palp only says the word "Rise". Where in the movie does he say "Rise, Lord Vader". I just watched the DVD minutes ago.

Ast
Originally posted by fmmulder
And in Palps office, Palp only says the word "Rise". Where in the movie does he say "Rise, Lord Vader". I just watched the DVD minutes ago.

Originally posted by Ast
It was from two different scenes, the "rise" was from the naming scene, and the "Lord Vader" was from the creation scene. The real scene goes "Lord Vader, can you hear me?"

Ken Kenobi

*points above again*

Listen to what we're saying.

fmmulder
Ast, you may be right. But (on the DVD) when the table rises, the scene has been edited twice and there is only music during that entire scene. Until Palp says what you said "Lord Vader, can you hear me?".

Ast
Just like in the theater. laughing out loud

Ken Kenobi
Ast, you may be right. But (on the DVD) when the table rises, the scene has been edited twice and there is only music during that entire scene. Until Palp says what you said "Lord Vader, can you hear me?".

What does that have to do with what Ast said?

fmmulder
One last thing, if "Rise, Lord Vader" is not a full line said in the movie, why has it been listed as a most memorable line on IMDB?

fmmulder
because Ast was the first one who said it was from 2 different scenes.

DeVi| D0do
One last thing, if "Rise, Lord Vader" is not a full line said in the movie, why has it been listed as a most memorable line on IMDB?
Because people who post on IMDb are complete idiots.

Ken Kenobi
because Ast was the first one who said it was from 2 different scenes.

Yes, it was composed from 2 different scenes...the "Rise" being from when Anakin got his Sith name, and the "Lord Vader" from when Palpatine asks Vader if he can hear him."

I just don't understand why you said "But (on the DVD) when the table rises, the scene has been edited twice and there is only music during that entire scene. Until Palp says what you said "Lord Vader, can you hear me?"."

That's EXACTLY how it played in theaters.

fmmulder
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
Yes, it was composed from 2 different scenes...the "Rise" being from when Anakin got his Sith name, and the "Lord Vader" from when Palpatine asks Vader if he can hear him."

I just don't understand why you said "But (on the DVD) when the table rises, the scene has been edited twice and there is only music during that entire scene. Until Palp says what you said "Lord Vader, can you hear me?"."

That's EXACTLY how it played in theaters.

I see what your saying, I could of swore that when I saw it in the theater it was a complete line, said during the black mask/ table prop thing. Thanks for the help Ken.

DarkYoda
Yes... to Ken and Ast you listen... yes

Delta 62
There is nothing on the DVD that you didn't see in theaters -_-

PVS

its an odd phenomenon that misquotes of movies become more famous than the actual quotes. it happens all too often with the most famous films.

the most famous line from ESB is "luke, i am your father" although its a misquote.

silence of the lambs, first word that comes to mind is "hello clarice" when that line was never spoken in the film.

from casablanca, the most famous line in the film (perhaps any film) is "play it again sam"...which was never uttered.

who knows why it happens, but it happens. trust in the fact that you're surrounded by star wars geeks here, and most people here are accurate in what they quote.

chinabing
It is odd, but we're all guilty of it. Ya, Vader sez "No. I am your father." (Or is it: "No, I am your father."wink

It's pop culture that changes movie lines to be more memorable. SNL comics and water-cooler joes cracking jokes at co-workers re-arrange movie lines to fit their joke. Then people remember the joke, and not the actual line.

overlord
I think my IQ just dropped some points after trying to understand your post.

queeq
laughing out loud

chinabing
I think my IQ just dropped some points after trying to understand your post.
Then I suggest you read it again until it sinks in. laughing

stinger78
I think that when he says luke i am your father he said it the other way but mark hamill was the only one that new the truth instead of every one on the set ecept for lucus.
but to answer your question , no, there was not any duel footage that was in the movie it had to be put with the others but thats ok it was stiil good

McCusto
WTF is up with your disgusting ass sig?

overlord
Originally posted by chinabing
Then I suggest you read it again until it sinks in. laughing High five!

Sith Master X
if it was a teaser trailer then where in the movie was it pulled from?

It wasn't pulled from the movie. This was just a part of rearranging dialogue from the film using an editing system. Just like in the trailer you hear "Every single Jedi is now an enemy of the republic." But in the actual movie, he says "Every single Jedi, including your friend Obi-Wan Kenobi, is now an enemy of the republic." They simply cut dialogue out, and rearrange to fit the the trailer better.

K-Paxien
they only did that so they can't ruin the move for you.

Stun
fmmulder - hard worklaughing out loud

and btw stinger?WTF!

Darth Orcus
I wish some of you morons would learn to post in English:

Could've/Would've/Should've is a contraction of Could/Would/Should HAVE (not OF)

I won't even bother to list all the creative spelling variables. If anyone wishes to be taken seriously as intelligent contributors by others then is it too much to ask that they afford a little respect to their readers?

(Not to mention a little respect for the English language...?)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.