Glory Road

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

crickey77
I just saw a the trailer for this new film about the Texas basketball team who beat out Kentucky in the '60s. I heard the story and it sounded interesting. What do you think of it as a film?

bksdrums
I think it would be cool. Do you know who stars in it and the director or is it small indie type movie. Either way it sounds interesting, but I'm just curious

Mando
Watch a movie called "Hoosiers".

That is better than just about any basketball movie ever made, IMO. If you think this sounds interesting I have no doubt you will enjoy my reccomendation.

crickey77
Originally posted by bksdrums
I think it would be cool. Do you know who stars in it and the director or is it small indie type movie. Either way it sounds interesting, but I'm just curious

I'll have to do a little more research, but I think Josh Lucas is the main star (the coach) and I think I heard it also has the guy from Antoine Fisher. Anyone else know more?

edwinian
Saw an ad for this movie in this week's sports illustrated and just checked out the trailer--have you guys heard of it? the preview looks pretty good. gotta love the part where dude's mom is in the class with him.

vader519
Jon Voight is in the film as well. First of all, I am excited abouth this movie because I live in El Paso Texas where Texas Western, the school in the movie is located, and I am a student. The school is no longer called Texas Western, it is now UTEP. Everyone here is excited that the story is finally going to be told. I mean this game broke the color barrier is college sports. Coach Haskins started five black players against Adlof Rupp and Kentucky's five white players. In Februray, it marks the 40th anniversary of the game. If anyone wants any info about the school or the team, let me know.

edwinian
Originally posted by vader519
Jon Voight is in the film as well. First of all, I am excited abouth this movie because I live in El Paso Texas where Texas Western, the school in the movie is located, and I am a student. The school is no longer called Texas Western, it is now UTEP. Everyone here is excited that the story is finally going to be told. I mean this game broke the color barrier is college sports. Coach Haskins started five black players against Adlof Rupp and Kentucky's five white players. In Februray, it marks the 40th anniversary of the game. If anyone wants any info about the school or the team, let me know.

the movie looks quite good. I think that some people dismiss sports movies without considering they may actually be truly interesting and informative, which Glory Road definitely appears to be. looking forward to it.

DanZeke25
Looks good, but won't be as good as Coach Carter.

Solo
'Cause we all know how good Coach Carter is.

vader519
It will be better than Coach Carter, I guarentee you that. Everyone that has seen it has given it positive reviews.

Murray
I can't wait to see this movie. I loved Remember the Titans and Miracle. Plus I think Josh Lucas is really talented.

vader519
The movie will be awesome.

crickey77
yeah, i'm definitely pumped up to see this one. I really liked Josh Lucas in Sweet Home Alabama, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he does with this role.

NewJERU
Another 'Remember the Titans' lol.

vader519
There is a sneak peek of the movie this Saturday night.

silver_tears
I am so excited about this movie, I normally hate sports oriented movies, however having seen the preview, it literally gave me shivers. Josh Lucas looks amazing.

vader519
Both sneak peeks have sold out here in El Paso.

PIZZA WARRIOR
Being a U of K wildcat fan, I have mixed emotions about this film.

It is good for the underdog to get some recognition, and I am sure that this film will achieve that.

After all, an upset like this deserves immortality.

BUT, the idea that it should be at the expense of the University of Kentucky bothers me DEEPLY, as it is going to bother EVERY FAN of the Wildcats.

In Kentucky, basketball is a RELIGION, NOT JUST A GAME !!!!!!

Wildcats fans talk of NOTHING ELSE than how well the team will do, and we can't wait until the first game, as well as the rivalry between the Louisville Cardinals.

And when I say FANS, that is estimated to be 99% of the state !!!

Also, in discussing this film, it must be mentioned that the Wildcats has had an African-American coach, 'Tubby' Smith, for manmy years, which should indicate how times have changed around here.

It is all well and good that Texas Western, an all-black team, beats an all-white team in the NCAA finals.

I am concerned that the racial angle is going to be emphasized, though it is unavoidable, and unfortunately will be at U of K 's expense.

There are people who believe that Kentucky, as with other Southeastern Conference schools, were slow to integrate during the 1960's, which would explain an all-white starting lineup.

Also, this 1966 team was known as 'Rupp's Runts', because there were no 'big men' on the floor, and for them to have made it as far as the NCAA Finals was in itself a miracle.

All in all though, I am willing to give this movie a chance, and the underdog its due, as painful as it may be to watch for the reasons I have stated here.

It should be time to see how far we have progressed in society, though we may have much further to go.

vader519
From waht I have heard, the racial angle is in the movie, but it is not that big of a deal. Hey Pizza Warrior, would you not like to see a rematch of Kentucky vs UTEP one day. Of course the school is not Texas Western anymore, we are now UTEP, but these two teams have never played again since that championship game.

crickey77
i'm really excited to see this one. i keep reading solid reviews and i love this kinda flick.

PIZZA WARRIOR
From waht I have heard, the racial angle is in the movie, but it is not that big of a deal. Hey Pizza Warrior, would you not like to see a rematch of Kentucky vs UTEP one day. Of course the school is not Texas Western anymore, we are now UTEP, but these two teams have never played again since that championship game.

Are you kidding ??? SURE I WOULD !!!

I don't care who wins (NOT !!!), but it would be fun !!!

Just to be fair, without having seen the movie that is, I am willing to grant UTEP their due on winning the NCAA championship in 1966.

It was a grand achievement deserving of praise.

But regarding U of K and speaking as a fan, let me once again mention some points.

This was the last time they would play for a national title for 12 years; and no matter how Adolph Rupp is depicted or thought of, a fifth title would have been good for the reasons I previously stated, apart from the black/white angle.

And today, Kentucky not only has a largely black team but also a black head coach, which is remarkable considering the passage of time.

It is noteworthy that some things in our society, like SPORTS, does respect the individual for their talent regardless of race or skin color.

If only aspects would catch on.

In any event, it is a nice thought to have a rematch, which may more easily come about if this movie hits the proper tone.

vader519
I agree. I know that Tubby Smith has said that he would like to play UTEP in the future, and all the fans and coaches here in El Paso would like to play Kentucky as well.

PIZZA WARRIOR
GOOD !!!

That will be something to look forward to, as the movie will be.

If only we could settle ALL of our differences with a Basketball game ???

vader519
You know waht, UTEP came close to playing Kentucky last year in the NCAA Tournament. They were in the same bracket. Had we beat Utah in the first round and Oklahoma in the second round, we would have played Kentucky in the sweet sixteen, but of course we lost a close one to Utah.

PIZZA WARRIOR

I have since learned that the 'racial angle' will not include anything detrimental about the Wildcats and Adolph Rupp.

Of course, those who see the movie and see an all-white team from a Southern school with an elderly coach may reach thier own conclusions.

Kudos to Jerry Bruckheimer for insisting on a re-write of the script that tends to tone things down a bit.

FOR THE RECORD, while it is not clear as to Rupp's racial attitudes, Kentucky has a progressive record regarding race in the South, and while it appears that UK was slow integrating, ti wasn't for lack of trying.

In reference to the 1966 team, the Cats aggressively sought the services of Louisville native Wes Unseld, which he declined.

Considering the temper of the times, it was reported that it would not have been a good idea for anybody to pursue the matter; and since the Southeastern Conference includes schools in places like Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia; the ordeal for a black player would not have been good.

Besides, while Rupp would certainly have wanted to get quality talent for his team, his job was not to be a social reformer, but to be a basketball coach.

And of course, the conference would have possibly forced Kentucky out if they felt like it on this subject.

Of course we will never know the WHOLE story, but the film does offer the opportunity to open a discussion on this subject 40 years hence.

Also, upon learning that Jon Voight was tapped to play Adolph Rupp in this move, I now have a good reason to see it.

I'd like to see how the Baron is portrayed here.

vader519
Well I saw the movie yesterday and it was awesome. I recommend that everyone go see it. It is nothing like Remember the Titans or Coach Carter at all.

DarkWizard
Saw it today.

Really liked it. 9/10

PIZZA WARRIOR
Just to let you all know that the world did not end in Big Blue Country, that the Cats are on a winning streak and "Glory Road" really wasn't that bad.

Looking forward to a rematch !!!!

vader519
I hope to see a rematch in the near future too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.