KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Glory Road

Glory Road
Started by: crickey77

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
crickey77

Glory Road

I just saw a the trailer for this new film about the Texas basketball team who beat out Kentucky in the '60s. I heard the story and it sounded interesting. What do you think of it as a film?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 02:42 PM
crickey77 is currently offline Click here to Send crickey77 a Private Message Find more posts by crickey77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bksdrums

I think it would be cool. Do you know who stars in it and the director or is it small indie type movie. Either way it sounds interesting, but I'm just curious

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 07:02 PM
bksdrums is currently offline Click here to Send bksdrums a Private Message Find more posts by bksdrums Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Watch a movie called "Hoosiers".

That is better than just about any basketball movie ever made, IMO. If you think this sounds interesting I have no doubt you will enjoy my reccomendation.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2005 09:28 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crickey77

quote: (post)
Originally posted by bksdrums
I think it would be cool. Do you know who stars in it and the director or is it small indie type movie. Either way it sounds interesting, but I'm just curious

I'll have to do a little more research, but I think Josh Lucas is the main star (the coach) and I think I heard it also has the guy from Antoine Fisher. Anyone else know more?

Old Post Dec 6th, 2005 10:10 PM
crickey77 is currently offline Click here to Send crickey77 a Private Message Find more posts by crickey77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
edwinian
Heavy Metal

Glory Road

Saw an ad for this movie in this week's sports illustrated and just checked out the trailer--have you guys heard of it? the preview looks pretty good. gotta love the part where dude's mom is in the class with him.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 09:47 PM
edwinian is currently offline Click here to Send edwinian a Private Message Find more posts by edwinian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vader519
Dark Lord of the Sith

Jon Voight is in the film as well. First of all, I am excited abouth this movie because I live in El Paso Texas where Texas Western, the school in the movie is located, and I am a student. The school is no longer called Texas Western, it is now UTEP. Everyone here is excited that the story is finally going to be told. I mean this game broke the color barrier is college sports. Coach Haskins started five black players against Adlof Rupp and Kentucky's five white players. In Februray, it marks the 40th anniversary of the game. If anyone wants any info about the school or the team, let me know.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 04:05 AM
vader519 is currently offline Click here to Send vader519 a Private Message Find more posts by vader519 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
edwinian
Heavy Metal

quote: (post)
Originally posted by vader519
Jon Voight is in the film as well. First of all, I am excited abouth this movie because I live in El Paso Texas where Texas Western, the school in the movie is located, and I am a student. The school is no longer called Texas Western, it is now UTEP. Everyone here is excited that the story is finally going to be told. I mean this game broke the color barrier is college sports. Coach Haskins started five black players against Adlof Rupp and Kentucky's five white players. In Februray, it marks the 40th anniversary of the game. If anyone wants any info about the school or the team, let me know.

the movie looks quite good. I think that some people dismiss sports movies without considering they may actually be truly interesting and informative, which Glory Road definitely appears to be. looking forward to it.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2005 05:50 PM
edwinian is currently offline Click here to Send edwinian a Private Message Find more posts by edwinian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DanZeke25
You can't beat me.

Looks good, but won't be as good as Coach Carter.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2005 11:41 PM
DanZeke25 is currently offline Click here to Send DanZeke25 a Private Message Find more posts by DanZeke25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

'Cause we all know how good Coach Carter is.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2005 12:06 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vader519
Dark Lord of the Sith

It will be better than Coach Carter, I guarentee you that. Everyone that has seen it has given it positive reviews.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2005 04:33 AM
vader519 is currently offline Click here to Send vader519 a Private Message Find more posts by vader519 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Murray
Self-Pity Wallower

I can't wait to see this movie. I loved Remember the Titans and Miracle. Plus I think Josh Lucas is really talented.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." -Alexander Hamilton

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2005 07:51 PM
Murray is currently offline Click here to Send Murray a Private Message Find more posts by Murray Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vader519
Dark Lord of the Sith

The movie will be awesome.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2005 02:01 AM
crickey77

yeah, i'm definitely pumped up to see this one. I really liked Josh Lucas in Sweet Home Alabama, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he does with this role.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2005 05:42 PM
NewJERU
U Have 2 Respect Jersey

Another 'Remember the Titans' lol.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2005 09:51 PM
NewJERU is currently offline Click here to Send NewJERU a Private Message Find more posts by NewJERU Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vader519
Dark Lord of the Sith

There is a sneak peek of the movie this Saturday night.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 03:49 AM
silver_tears

I am so excited about this movie, I normally hate sports oriented movies, however having seen the preview, it literally gave me shivers. Josh Lucas looks amazing.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 07:50 AM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vader519
Dark Lord of the Sith

Both sneak peeks have sold out here in El Paso.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2006 03:11 AM
PIZZA WARRIOR

Being a U of K wildcat fan, I have mixed emotions about this film.

It is good for the underdog to get some recognition, and I am sure that this film will achieve that.

After all, an upset like this deserves immortality.

BUT, the idea that it should be at the expense of the University of Kentucky bothers me DEEPLY, as it is going to bother EVERY FAN of the Wildcats.

In Kentucky, basketball is a RELIGION, NOT JUST A GAME !!!!!!

Wildcats fans talk of NOTHING ELSE than how well the team will do, and we can't wait until the first game, as well as the rivalry between the Louisville Cardinals.

And when I say FANS, that is estimated to be 99% of the state !!!

Also, in discussing this film, it must be mentioned that the Wildcats has had an African-American coach, 'Tubby' Smith, for manmy years, which should indicate how times have changed around here.

It is all well and good that Texas Western, an all-black team, beats an all-white team in the NCAA finals.

I am concerned that the racial angle is going to be emphasized, though it is unavoidable, and unfortunately will be at U of K 's expense.

There are people who believe that Kentucky, as with other Southeastern Conference schools, were slow to integrate during the 1960's, which would explain an all-white starting lineup.

Also, this 1966 team was known as 'Rupp's Runts', because there were no 'big men' on the floor, and for them to have made it as far as the NCAA Finals was in itself a miracle.

All in all though, I am willing to give this movie a chance, and the underdog its due, as painful as it may be to watch for the reasons I have stated here.

It should be time to see how far we have progressed in society, though we may have much further to go.

Last edited by PIZZA WARRIOR on Jan 9th, 2006 at 07:48 PM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2006 07:38 PM
PIZZA WARRIOR is currently offline Click here to Send PIZZA WARRIOR a Private Message Find more posts by PIZZA WARRIOR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vader519
Dark Lord of the Sith

From waht I have heard, the racial angle is in the movie, but it is not that big of a deal. Hey Pizza Warrior, would you not like to see a rematch of Kentucky vs UTEP one day. Of course the school is not Texas Western anymore, we are now UTEP, but these two teams have never played again since that championship game.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 01:51 AM
crickey77

i'm really excited to see this one. i keep reading solid reviews and i love this kinda flick.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 05:11 PM